IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello! The op was about playing it forward, the crowd seemed to find it more interesting to try to implement me as a liar and they never seemed to wanna go anywhere else with it. As far as ball flight laws i tried this thread to get away from you and your buddy who wouldnt let me speak, just kept sending me dead links, you or any of those guys have given me an acceptable response, just say thats the way it is and go to this dead end link

A couple other guys know what i mean because they made the same mistake of mentioning they hit it far too, then the crowd turned on them, im sure a lot of people lie on the internet, but we're in a golf forum not a dating forum, what happened to honesty, integrity, etc. arent they supposed to be a big part of golf?

A couple other guys know what i mean because they made the same mistake of mentioning they hit it far too, then the crowd turned on them, im sure a lot of people lie on the internet, but we're in a golf forum not a dating forum, what happened to honesty, integrity, etc. arent they supposed to be a big part of golf?

Yeah, but when it comes to claims of distance people expect proof. Heck, even though I have Game Golf rounds that show my distances people still give me grief. It seems like some people are Missourians at heart and live the "Show me" motto and they have to see it for themselves. Basically you just have to deal with the fact that some people just won't listen or believe what you say.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by daa1969

Too many people feel distance goes hand in hand with hndcp, i assure this is false, i played today and shot 84, with 41 putts! So you see, my overall game is ok, my distance is good, but my hndcp is my putting! We need to stop looking at charts and such to determine how well someone plays or should play, i am living proof of that and im sure a great number of you will agree thats true for your game too!

You're an anomaly. They exist in all facets of statistics. Just because they don't apply to you doesn't generalizations aren't true, and it would be just as illogical to create a generalization for everybody else based solely upon your experiences. You don't fit the chart, cool. But the charts exist for a reason.

I think his point is that there are lots of reasons why people play at the level they do.

In my small world, I know a couple of players who hit much longer than their scoring average would indicate. And I know others whose handicaps are low despite not being long off the tee. Of course these people are outliers in the big picture but to me, it's not that unusual.

I agree that statistics are very useful to support arguments such as the need to work harder on increasing our distance (absence of a glaring weakness). But the last thing I'd do is call someone out on a claim just because their claim falls outside the statistical norm. Not saying you did this Bill, but others on this forum certainly have.

Jon

Hello! The op was about playing it forward, the crowd seemed to find it more interesting to try to implement me as a liar and they never seemed to wanna go anywhere else with it. As far as ball flight laws i tried this thread to get away from you and your buddy who wouldnt let me speak, just kept sending me dead links, you or any of those guys have given me an acceptable response, just say thats the way it is and go to this dead end link

You're right, it has derailed a bit off-topic.

As far as which tees another plays from, as long as they're not holding me up, why would I care. My opinion has always been that no one should dictate how someone else enjoys the game of golf.

I've told this story before, but last year I erroneously started from longer tees than I should have. The course happened to be very slow that day so I just continued (and in fact played through a group of four). It ended up being one of the most enjoyable rounds of golf I've ever played. It really pushed me to make clutch shots with my longer clubs just to carry hazards.

Jon

And i agree with you on that jon, i guess my initial frustration with playing back is due to the fact that the course i play it does make a good difference in yardage and for some reason it always seems to be very young, in age and experience, that insist on saying "i played from the tips" ive just been unfortunate to be stuck behind the ones that dont seem to be breaking 100, its 100+ degrees and we're waiting forever for them go find thier balls and hack it out 10 yds, if you know what i mean. Ive said it before and i'll say it again, it doesnt matter how far you drive, but if your scoring 120 and theres group after group piling up behind you, maybe show some consideration and move up to where maybe it will be a little more manageable.

Getting back on topic... Another way to address this topic is where does playing from an inappropriate tee box fit as far as attributing to slow play. I believe looking for lost golf balls (especially if continues to occur in the same round) is #1 on the list. Taking too long reading greens/putting and not being ready when it's your turn would be #2 and #3 to me. Playing the inappropriate tee box can certainly contribute to the guy looking for lost balls multiple times a round. If you are that concerned about losing balls...buy a cheaper ball to save money. They generally spin less too. Attitude can solve most of these issuses. If someone has a sense of entitlement or a "my way or the highway attitude" we will never get anywhere. As they say...all it takes is one group to hold up an entire course.

I agree with one of those reasons whole heartedly, i see it all the time where people arent ready, one guy hits, gets back in cart, other guy gets out other side and has to figure out his shot, they drive 30ft to thier ball, a lot of times they can park in a happy medium where they could each walk a few paces, im not talking unrealistic numbers either like 50 yds but if your only 20 yds y not

As far as taking time putting, i dont see that to be too big of an issue, i mean, i get it, thats where your score can really matter, just imagine if we had to deal with people who played like they were in the pga, ie walking all around green, you know, all that stuff that seems to take forever on tv, thank you dvr!

So I went and hit a bunch of balls tonight on a simulator and my swing speed varied from 99 to 106 and most of the shots were between 265 and 285 with a few over 290. It's not hard to imagine one of those rolling a little further every few rounds. But yes, averaging over 300 yards would be elite.

Ok duff, now imagine you only have to count 2 drives on par 5s one with wind and one against wind with no regard of whether or not its in fairway? Thats how the pga measures, wouldnt you thinks its not absurd that you would be somewhere close to the pga average of 288, i know most of our whole game isnt as complete as are thiers, and im not saying theyre not good, but some stats are achievable by us regular guys too, we just dont have the whole package

Ok duff, now imagine you only have to count 2 drives on par 5s one with wind and one against wind with no regard of whether or not its in fairway? Thats how the pga measures, wouldnt you thinks its not absurd that you would be somewhere close to the pga average of 288, i know most of our whole game isnt as complete as are thiers, and im not saying theyre not good, but some stats are achievable by us regular guys too, we just dont have the whole package

I would bet they would believe you if you would post a video of your swing or evidence of the distances.

Well, i already posted my launch monitor results, they were very similar to yours, only difference is not sure where you are but im in the desert at just about 3000ft with very firm conditions and mostly elavated tee boxes

So I went and hit a bunch of balls tonight on a simulator and my swing speed varied from 99 to 106 and most of the shots were between 265 and 285 with a few over 290. It's not hard to imagine one of those rolling a little further every few rounds. But yes, averaging over 300 yards would be elite.

[quote name="daa1969" url="/t/83727/why-all-the-testosterone/234#post_1183766"]Ok duff, now imagine you only have to count 2 drives on par 5s one with wind and one against wind with no regard of whether or not its in fairway? Thats how the pga measures, wouldnt you thinks its not absurd that you would be somewhere close to the pga average of 288, i know most of our whole game isnt as complete as are thiers, and im not saying theyre not good, but some stats are achievable by us regular guys too, we just dont have the whole package[/quote] Using a launch monitor is different than on course, mostly because you are warmed up and repeating the movement multiple times and no wind. It would be like taking 2 or 3 mulligans off every tee shot, and not counting shots into the wind. If I or many others on this site did that, our driving average would probably go up 20 to 30 yards or more. Wind usually takes off 10-20 yards. if I take your average 275 and subtract half the wind and mulligan effects your average is probably more like 250.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I may be in the minority here, but why do we care whether someone hits the ball as far as they think they do? I think the dead horse has been dead for days.

I may be in the minority here, but why do we care whether someone hits the ball as far as they think they do?

I think the dead horse has been dead for days.

It's probably because people on both sides don't like to think they are wrong about what the think/believe is possible. I'll admit, it still annoys me when I'm told "there's no way you hit that far and have that handicap" even though I know it shouldn't. I'll be the first to admit I used to overestimate how far I hit the ball, but I'm very conscious of making sure I accurately track my numbers now as I'm trying to improve my overall game. This includes both time on a flightscope and tracking rounds in Game Golf. So when someone questions my numbers, which I'm working so hard to make sure I keep accurate, it has a tendency to bother me a bit. I need to learn to ignore it, I know.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Maybe for some of us, it can be a bit embarrassing when we consider how very short we actually hit the ball. After my old driver bit the dust a couple of weeks ago, I hit some drivers at the local sporting goods firm and saw what numbers the computer spit out. Not like I don't know how short I am normally, but it was a bit humbling. When we listen to others (particularly with high HIs) talk about hitting the ball 300 yards, it kind of makes us nuts. I've seen @Jeremie Boop in action. Distance isn't one of his concerns.

Note: This thread is 3186 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!