IGNORED

Why all the testosterone?

daa1969
Note: This thread is 3178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sure, and sub-85 is even suckier.

Yeah, as a 25+ I thought I was driving 260 yards.

Y​es and those good days our best scores. Me now I average 11.x over par every time out. Think about that. If I was a touring pro, clearly I am not, and playing way easier courses to boot, that's 44 strokes over par for the same time period a tournament takes ,if I hit that mark. If par is the benchmark and it is basically established using a golfer that can shoot that score almost every time out and you are way over that  it should be obvious. You suck, you aren't consistently long or ever consistently anything, do what you can to score and stay out of peoples way.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im not saying if you only drive 275 or 245 or whatever u should b up front, its more about the accuracy and consistency, too often its just young guys, not always, but mostly what i see, playing from the back and they set themselves up for failure because now they put the death grip on the club and spray shots everywhere. If you play well and drive it 240 then by all means play back, its your game, but im just sick of waiting around for these "jackwads" to look for thier balls, and yes, most the time they are holding things up, cant tell you how many times ive watched them completely wiff and miss the ball! If u have game and play back thats great, your probably not affecting play, but if u suck than it may be time for a lesson in golf course etiquette

Yeah, I can see waiting for jackwads, but we can go overboard in the "tips" requirements as well. BTW, I don't play the tips either, it lost it's novelty once I wanted to score better.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah, I can see waiting for jackwads, but we can go overboard in the "tips" requirements as well.

BTW, I don't play the tips either, it lost it's novelty once I wanted to score better.

Not really. Let our scores be the guide. Just look at your last 20, it's all over the place right. That is the golfer you are standing on the first tee. Make the decision based on that not your best shot. Best shot is an anomaly and too many think that is potential. Even if it is so rare you aren't in danger of averaging it.

That's why we play Monday afternoons or Saturday afternoons when no tee times are required. Haven't had anyone push us all year. Just a single golfer had to wait some. That's going to happen no matter how inconsistent we are. I can see how foursomes might get irked waiting but we all have been there on both sides of that equation. Faster groups play through. Seems to work out most of the time.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

" Best shot is an anomaly and too many think that is potential" i agree, thats why so many come up short on aproach shots, they think my perfect 9 iron is 150, but under pressure it usually fails you, bet your perfect 8 iron would have been there for you!

" Best shot is an anomaly and too many think that is potential" i agree, thats why so many come up short on aproach shots, they think my perfect 9 iron is 150, but under pressure it usually fails you, bet your perfect 8 iron would have been there for you!

Just as long as you understand this applies to you too.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/83727/why-all-the-testosterone/54#post_1182243"] Yeah, I can see waiting for jackwads, but we can go overboard in the "tips" requirements as well. BTW, I don't play the tips either, it lost it's novelty once I wanted to score better.[/QUOTE]  Not really. Let our scores be the guide. Just look at your last 20, it's all over the place right. That is the golfer you are standing on the first tee. Make the decision based on that not your best shot. Best shot is an anomaly and too many think that is potential. Even if it is so rare you aren't in danger of averaging it.

I was referring to the 305 yard requirement to play the tips, not your criteria. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I was referring to the 305 yard requirement to play the tips, not your criteria. . .

H​is requirement if he can even do it is beyond the abilities of a 10 hc golfer. His average drive is hit and hope just like the rest of us. His less than humble claims aren't in concert with the typical edge of single digit golf.

1st of all, it wasnt a requirement, it was an example of how i know i can drive far but still choose to play up, just trying to figure out why some insist on playing back when they too if theyre lucky can hit it far, i know my game, and yes, i too made a lot of those mistakes, about a year ago i started automatically adding a club to what i thought, i was down to a 6 hndcp, now, ive gone back up a little but im in the process of changes, theyre not comfortable, but im trying to stick with it in hopes of a better future. But for now i am going to make some mistakes.im not solely focused on score at moment.

Im really confused how some find it hard to believe someone can drive it 300 yds, there are literally 100s of thousands of people that can do that, unfortunately, most of us dont have the rest of the game to get paid. Dont forget many pga players have been bred into it from a young age, theyve had the luxury of money in the family to back them, scholorships, etc. not all, but a great number. It requires a lot of traveling expenses, entrance fees, etc. when your quit school after 8th grade you kind of shut any helping door that may have opened up for you, now your working to live and golf takes a back seat. Have you ever watched street basketball? Theres guys out there that can run circles around an nba player, but like most of us, bad choices were made or things beyond our control took precedence. We need to stop judging ourselves by pga standards. Do u doubt the guys at long drive competitions?

Im really confused how some find it hard to believe someone can drive it 300 yds, there are literally 100s of thousands of people that can do that, unfortunately, most of us dont have the rest of the game to get paid. Dont forget many pga players have been bred into it from a young age, theyve had the luxury of money in the family to back them, scholorships, etc. not all, but a great number. It requires a lot of traveling expenses, entrance fees, etc. when your quit school after 8th grade you kind of shut any helping door that may have opened up for you, now your working to live and golf takes a back seat. Have you ever watched street basketball? Theres guys out there that can run circles around an nba player, but like most of us, bad choices were made or things beyond our control took precedence. We need to stop judging ourselves by pga standards. Do u doubt the guys at long drive competitions?

The tour uses averages of all non par 3 tee shots so I think some people might underestimate just how far pros hit their drivers. Also people around here are very serious about measuring their actual average distances. They even count pulls into the trees and mishits that go like 20% shorter than a pured shot. So when you claim an average, they are taking you for your word that it is an actual average, not just your typical decent shot. Then they compare them to the pros and see that you are claiming to average what a pro averages. I also hit 300 yard drives but the average distance of my shots that land in the fairway are about 250-285. At least half of my drives do not land in the fairway.

Im really confused how some find it hard to believe someone can drive it 300 yds...

There's not a doubt in my mind that there are people who can drive it 300 yards.  The issue I have is that there seems to be a much larger number of golfers on the internet who claim 300+ yard average drives than I've encountered in real life.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Ok, just found out, pga only measures on 2 holes per round, trying to get one against wind and one with wind, the overall average has decreased in recent years and most speculation is pros generally play the hole backwards nowadays meaning they often use less than driver to put themselves in the best place to hit aproach from. And im sorry for any confusion but i just stated my average drive, never said it was in fairway, thats just my measurement, according to most yardage markers or gps, i rarely hit a drive less than 265, again, not saying thier straight, and i have hit up to 335, i have been putting for eagle on several 300-315 yarders, i wont even use driver on less than 275, my 3 wood will generally get out to the 265 area from the tee, again, no im not always straight, these numbers are not a reflection of fairways hit, and lets not forget elevation changes and altitude, i have a lot of that here

If we are counting wayward shots then yeah, my average is a lot higher than what I stated if you followed the hook or slice and not just distance towards the hole.

If we are counting wayward shots then yeah, my average is a lot higher than what I stated if you followed the hook or slice and not just distance towards the hole.

200 yards out and 100 yards to the right = 300 yard drive.  Boom! :-)

• Upvote 2

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Im counting towards hole, pga doesnt matter in faiway or not, and that seems to be everyones standard to go by, im just looking at lenght of hole and how much i have left after drive

Heres some fun facts for you, average driving accuracy on pga tour is like 61% i recall someone posting he only averaged 71% thats right there with the best. average gir is 64% average proximity to hole is 35' at 200+ yards its 50' and inside 125 its 18' the average greens on tour are 6000-6500 sq ft. The greens i play regularly are quite smaller than that, makes one wonder, are we really that different than them? Well, ya we are, but its not in every aspect, theyve just got the scoring thing down, theyve got the short game, the putting, and overall better course management.

Note: This thread is 3178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!