IGNORED

Hybrid or 3-wood

Note: This thread is 5194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok I have the ultimate answer to this question... its whatever floats your boat... most players carry both... I carry just the 3-wood... they can coexist... but the reason why this thread was posted to begin with is and the question should be and it may be another thread... 5-wood, 2-iron, or hybrid... thats where there is a lot of gray area...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I take back what I said earlier, about my choice just being hybrids. As I said I was still searching for a 15*-16* hybrid but after trying the 15.5* Ping G10 at the range along with some other fairway woods and hybrids, it was a hands down choice on trajectory, feel and distance and would give me the distance i need on the fairway. Also with it I already have a strong back-up for my driver on those narrow par 4's.

Of course am still keeping my hybrids- 'nuff said.

ISLAND PAR

In my Mizuno Bag:
TBD, MacGregor 4W(16*), 3H(20*),4H(23*), 5H(26*) Mizuno MX-900 6-PWAdams Watson 2010 Wedges (GW, SW, LW),Ping Wolverine Putter "But I thought you meant these golfers from our club when you said you needed SANDBAGGERS to help with the flood...

I'm looking to get a new 3-wood since I didn't like my previous Top Flit HCT Tour 3 wood with steel shaft. I'm looking to spend less than $80 (so used is in the picture for me). Does anyone have an opinion on the Macgregor NVG 3 wood? It's low priced, graphite shafted, and low in price these days. I tried the Cobra woods and I didn't like the hits with it.

I can't say enough good things about the MacTec fairway woods and hybrids. Same technology as the Exotics in addition to being just as long and more forgiving IMO. Better stock shaft too! Price? They are an absolute steal right now! Try one. You won't regret it.

• 2 years later...
Wood for distance and hybrid for better control, but if you can rely on wood, you can't get distance either.
I ordered 1H and will find out if this will replace my 3W.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

I have a 17* 904f that I had the shaft cut down to a 2h length. Its the best of both worlds IMO.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

I'd carry a 1 hybrid over a 3 wood, and I probably will make that switch eventually. My 3 wood sucks anyway, and I really only like using it off the tee (way inconsistent off the deck - an issue I'd never had with a 3 wood before).

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

put the 3 wood is easier to hit a cut with if you need that shot my three wood is the only club i can hit a cut with in the bag maybe because its a Lite flex and my other clubs are Regular flex

...Is it crazy to go from a driver to a 17 degree club?...

You might consider going to a 4W for your metal wood. Golf Digest had an article a couple years back which said 4W was easier for most golfers to hit than a 3W. | 4W with 16* or 17* loft is hittable, and it has some distance. Back in the days of persimmon woods, the 4W was my favorite long club.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

learning how to hit a 3-wood is a difficult but very large leap in everyones game... i think its much more beneficial to get the 3-wood and learn how to hit

3 wood is sweet when it works....hybrid is probably versatile and easier on any lie. So this is not easy answer.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

Note: This thread is 5194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!