IGNORED

Bandon Oregon or Kohler Wisconsin?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you were going to take a single "bucket list" type trip to either Bandon or Kohler, which would you select?  Or which one do you do first?  Factor in the ease of getting there, travel cost, lodging, cost of golf, etc...  Maybe consider Kohler as including a side trip to Erin Hills.

If you have been both places (lucky you!!) perhaps compare & contrast the two.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I spent 3 nights at Kohler in June of this year, and its brilliant.  The lodging (at the less-expensive Inn on Woodlake) was very nice, the golf is incredible, and its not very far from you.   For anyone flying in, its less than about 90 minutes from Milwaukee's airport.  Additionally, you're just a few miles from Sheboygan, so its easy to find places to eat and drink "off-campus" if you prefer, which can definitely save you a few bucks.  From what I've read, that really isn't an option in Bandon.  Having said that, its DAMN expensive.  The Straits was $375, if I remember right, plus the mandatory caddie.  The cheapest of the 4 courses, both the Irish and the Meadow Valley at Blackwold Run, were $190 plus a cart fee, if you choose not to walk.  The room was over $200 per night, and if you choose to stay at the American Club its more.  Unlike other golf destinations where there's some competition, like Myrtle Beach or Pinehurst, there are no significant deals.   You might get a free lesson, or a massage, but that's peanuts in the big scheme of things.  Don't get me wrong, I loved it once I came to grips with the cost, but I doubt I'll do it again.  From the DC area, I believe I could spend a week in St Andrews, Scotland for about the same money as I would for a week in Kohler.  It might take a couple hours longer to get there, but its worth it.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I played 4 18 hole rounds (all different courses) in 4 days at Bandon in March this year.   B/c they didn't have available room at the time, I stayed at a place near the shore.   I saved quite a bit of money by playing in March (big discount) and not staying in the resort.   The scenery along the shore and restaurants can't be beat.   What they lack in number of restaurants, they make up in quality.    The courses are in good shape, and you get 3 distinct look out of the 4 courses.   I thought two courses along the shore looked & feel similar to each other (and to Pebble Beach).   The practice facility, service are all top notch.   Afterward, my wife and I decided to make this into an annual trip.   BTW, I found hiring a caddie is a must for us.   It will run from $60 to $100+ depending on what type of caddie you hire, and how much tip you shell out.   I used the same caddie all 4 days and will likely do the same for a few more trips.   Going to Bandon at peak season will cost much more.

I played the Pebble courses the year before and I can say that the Bandon courses are just as good as the Pebble ones (Spyglass, Spanish Bay, Pebble Beach, Del Monte).

PS: read @DaveP043 's above post and I can tell you Bandon green fees are much cheaper, especially, for off season tee times.   But beware that it rains & is windy during off season.   We checked 10 day weather forecast before booking in March.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Since you are in Michigan, I'd suggest you start with Wisconsin. And then try to find a way to do the Oregon trip some other year.

I did both.

First I went to Bandon (group of 16). And loved it. It's a pain in the ass to get there from Ohio, but once there, it's heaven.

The following year I did a Wisconsin trip with 24 guys. Erin Hills, Whistling Straights (Straights and Irish), Blackwolf Run. Plus a few days in Michigan of the return trip home.

I prefer Wisconsin over Bandon for two reasons:

#1- getting there

#2- weather

The Wisconsin courses were much more difficult than the Oregon courses. That can be a positive or negative depending on the golfers skill level.

But make no mistake, they are both freaking fantastic.

• Upvote 2

I've taken buddies trips to both and you can't go wrong with either trip.

Golfing Bandon

Getting to Bandon wasn't fun.  There is a flight in and out of San Fran to North Bend, OR for an extra $200+ but if your on a budget you will likely fly into Portland and make a 7 hour drive south.  You could always fly into Eugene depending upon your flight options.  At Bandon on a budget you want to play 36+ holes a day to save $$$.  Peak season you are paying like $300 (non-resort) for the first 18 holes, your 2nd 18 on their "replay rate" is like $150 peak season.  The trick is you don't have to play the same course!  If you're attempting to play the 4 courses (Pac Dunes, Ban Dunes, Ban Trails & Old McD) you can save $400 if you can play 36 over a 2 days.  I always account for swag in my buddies trip planning.  A towel $20, logo balls $3 each, bag tag $15, and a flag $40 these are my typical souvenirs.  A shirt is like $75 and a hat is like $30 if that more your speed.

Im not going to talk about travel costs as they are different for everyone.  As for hotel you can opt into the resort between $250-$1000 during peak season. If you're looking for a budget, stay up in North Bend,  a Best Western type hotel is like $125 a night.

Estimating my buddies trip was like $500 airfare, free rental (one of our buddies had rewards points that covered it), 1 night in Portland ($150) due to a red eye flight, and meeting my 2 of my 3 buddies the next morning. 3 nights in North Bend $125 per night, split in half as we shared rooms.  $800-1000 in golf at Bandon (we played in June), $200 for group caddie (includes tips) for the same guy both days all 4 rounds. $120 in swag.  $200 in booze, $400 in food, gas, tips, ect.

Oh if you've never heard of Bally Bandon Sheep ranch than Google it... it a weird little golf experience that I suggest to any and all going to Bandon.  Its $100 but it help make the trip.

Total Bandon trip $2700-3k for 1 person.

Kohler /Erin Hills trip

Travel was more simple than Bandon.  I flew into Milwaukee stayed at a $50 Days inn.  The next day we had a 1hr 20 min drive to get to the resort. We played our first round that day at the Irish course $210 (w/ cart) but a caddie was not required.  We play 9 more on the Straights course twilight $35 walking again caddie was not required.  We stayed at the Inn at Lakewood for $215 (prices based of time of the year). Day 2 was 18 at the Straights course $375, plus $100 caddie (includes tip).  We then drove down to a town called Jackson, WI which is 20 minutes north of Erin Hills.  In Jackson we stayed at a Comfort Suites for $100 (divided in half).  Day 3 was Erin Hills.  I was $245 (no caddie required).  We did get a caddie whom acted more as a forecaddie but the$ 100 was paid in full by my buddy for losing a bet the day before.

Note 2 of the 4 of use left following the round to traveled back home.  The other 2 did a stay and play package which they got a reduced rate.  I'm pretty sure to guarantee your golf reservation you have to stay at the resort.  This worked in my advantage because they stayed we were able to play as a 4some but didn't have to pay to stay at the resort.

Estimating the trip cost: Airfare $200, Rental $60 ($120 total split in 2, we had 2 cars) Hotels $400, Golf $1000, Swag $220, Booze: $120, $400 in food, gas, betting, etc.

Total Trip $2500 for 1 person

As an added incentive, from Kohler, you're only an hour from Green Bay, and a side trip to Lambeau Field and the Packer Hall of Fame! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!