IGNORED

Will Self-Driving Golf Carts Steer Way for Autonomous Cars? [Nat Geo]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On the golf course, could possibly help w/slow play if an onboard computer provides "tips" assuming humans follow them and don't say screw it, I'm driving. Could also reduce injuries, fewer driving like a madman incidents leading to overturn, tree crashes, headlong into bodies of water.

Quote:

As Google expands testing of autonomous cars, self-driving golf carts have been zipping around a college campus and public garden. The carts are slower, but they might just win the race to put driverless vehicles on the road.

MIT researchers are publishing a paper later this month on the minimalist golf cart they co-developed that uses relatively inexpensive gear. In October in Singapore, the cart moved 500 people along winding paths in a large public garden and even avoided collision with a poky monitor lizard.

Another self-driving golf cart, by startup Auro Robotics , has been shuttling students around Santa Clara University in California. In November, it will debut on other U.S. campuses as well as in retirement communities. Within three years, Auro founder Nalin Gupta expects wide-scale usage on private roads.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/energy/2015/09/150904-self-driving-golf-carts-steer-way-for-autonomous-cars/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On the golf course, could possibly help w/slow play if an onboard computer provides "tips" assuming humans follow them and don't say screw it, I'm driving. Could also reduce injuries, fewer driving like a madman incidents leading to overturn, tree crashes, headlong into bodies of water. [QUOTE]

As Google expands testing of autonomous cars, self-driving golf carts have been zipping around a college campus and public garden. The carts are slower, but they might just win the race to put driverless vehicles on the road.

MIT researchers are publishing a paper later this month on the minimalist golf cart they co-developed that uses relatively inexpensive gear. In October in Singapore, the cart moved 500 people along winding paths in a large public garden and even avoided collision with a poky monitor lizard.

Another self-driving golf cart, by startup Auro Robotics , has been shuttling students around Santa Clara University in California. In November, it will debut on other U.S. campuses as well as in retirement communities. Within three years, Auro founder Nalin Gupta expects wide-scale usage on private roads.

[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have self driving golf balls ,

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't think self driving carts would be very useful until "smart balls" are comon place. How else will the cart know where to drive you to your next shot? The ball has to be sending out some sort of signal for the cart to know where to go automatically.

I'd much rather drive Bubba's hovercart! Hopefully, that's where the future is...

I don't think self driving carts would be very useful until "smart balls" are comon place. How else will the cart know where to drive you to your next shot? The ball has to be sending out some sort of signal for the cart to know where to go automatically. I'd much rather drive Bubba's hovercart! Hopefully, that's where the future is...

They're testing the technology in golf carts for everyday use, not for golf course use. I think the idea is if they can be successful with the golf carts in real environments, they will experiment with automobiles.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!