IGNORED

My Swing (Bogeyaah)

Bogeyaah
Note: This thread is 3027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 17 months (May 2014)

My current handicap index or average score is: 26.4

My typical ball flight is: slice/fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: slice, fat & thin shots

Hi TST

I already introduced myself twice ( here and here ) and don't want to bother you guys again with my story. I decided, for my own progress and discipline, to start a swing thread and use it as some sort of a blog and an opportunity to learn from you. I thought it might be best to kick-off my blog with an absolute nightmare of a swing - you're welcome!

I went to the range today and focused entirely on the two drills my new coach gave me on Monday.

After I finished my warm-up I started hitting right-handed chip shots - as suggested on Monday. The key points I focused on: flaring my feet (which I never did before), forward shaft lean, hands forward at impact. In total I hit 30 balls that way and was able to hit 3-4 good shots. I shanked, thinned and chunked all the other ones and wasn't able to connect with the drill. I felt confused at address and throughout the entire swing, which is simply a half-backswing. I really felt I learned nothing from the drill.

Hitting the previous 30 balls I took small breaks in-between and used my pitchmarker to draw a line through the grass. I started swinging my gap wedge and focused entirely on making impact after the line - never before it. To cut a long story short: I managed. In comparison to the previous drill at least I finally had the feeling of learning something and improving at the same time.

To end todays practice session I decided to hit a couple more 8i's and 7i's. A couple of times I had the feeling of hitting down and compressing the ball for the first time of my life - yet every shot of the day started right instantly. Out of 50 balls I hit at least 35 of them low and to the right. I think I shanked them, which I never did before (apart from the odd shank once a month).

Perhaps my hands are too far forward right now and the angle of my backswing is too steep?

Cheers

Christian

Perhaps my hands are too far forward right now and the angle of my backswing is too steep?

Cheers

Christian

You're actually flipping at impact, common for higher handicappers and for guys that fade/slice it. Better golfers have the handle more forward at impact.

A lot of that is explained here.

Probably couldn't hurt to feel the left shoulder work down longer on the backswing (head raises and restricts your turn a little) but I would focus on Key #2 for now. Not getting enough weight or pressure forward, can see that will how straight your left leg/knee is here. The better you can get Key #2 the less you'll flip and swing across it.

Good drills and feels to incorporate.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Mike

Many thanks for your input - great stuff. I am already busy writing down the key facts ( How to Draw the Golf Ball (or How to Stop Slicing) ) from here and will include the 5SK into my practice on Sunday/Monday.

Right now, especially with the new posture, the forward shaft lean and the slightly changed grip I have got so many swing thoughts rushing through my head whilst taking back the club, that every single movement feels odd - absolutely normal I know.

Could you guess where my shanks are coming from? I never had problems shanking the ball to the right. Is my downswing to steep? Am I standing too close to the ball?

Perhaps the new input will fix this problem automatically.

Cheers

Christian

Could you guess where my shanks are coming from? I never had problems shanking the ball to the right. Is my downswing to steep? Am I standing too close to the ball?

Would be easier to see that if you posted a down the line video ;-)

A shank is just a miss, there can be many reasons for it. Looks like your path is well across the ball and that can certainly lead to off center hits.

Perhaps the new input will fix this problem automatically.

Yeah just work on that stuff and I'm sure you'll see improvement.

Mike McLoughlin

Hi @mvmac

We had some beautiful sunshine yesterday and I decided to play 9 holes in the evening. I decided to focus onto a.) optimizing my grip (I am not that far off), b.) flaring my feet , c.) some proper axis tilt and d.) moving my weight forward during impact .

I must admit: due to all the changes and swing thoughts I felt sceptical at the beginning. As it turned out: I was all wrong. I played a solid round of golf with some decent shots. I especially remember some amazing approach shots where I was able to put 2-5ft next to the pin. I was able to hit the ball a lot better as well. Sometimes the contact felt crisp and good off the club face.

Due to the changes I fight two new problems.

1. Due to flaring my feet I have problems aiming correctly. I feel a little bit lost standing over the ball and I hit a couple of hooks into the woods. I though it might be best approaching the ball with square feet and flare them after I have aligned to the club face.

2. Due to the axis tilt and a lot more forward shaft lean at address I can't help but having a weak right hand. If I try to move it stronger again (the V of my right hand point more towards my right shoulder) I start hitting chunky shots.

I'll try to upload some new videos on Thursday.

Many thanks for the help so far - much appreciated guys.

Cheers

Christian

I have been to the range twice and hit the course yesterday. To be honest: it is hard to play properly right now. I still feel uncomfortable flaring my feet and I keep fighting my weak right hand.

After yesterdays round I asked my father to take some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV1VvpVusYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N53hcwMYfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGQ27vSP3Gw

I think my takeaway is an absolute mess right now - way too flat/deep?

P.S.: I am not sure why just one of the videos is actually really coming up?

I have been to the range twice and hit the course yesterday. To be honest: it is hard to play properly right now. I still feel uncomfortable flaring my feet and I keep fighting my weak right hand.

After yesterdays round I asked my father to take some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV1VvpVusYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N53hcwMYfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGQ27vSP3Gw

Not that I'm brilliant at analysing this, but first off, if you slow the driver swing on the DTL view down, it looks like the ball is clearly too close to you meaning you have to swing back in at it. My second immediate thought is that you're perhaps going a bit too long on the backswing. I actually reckon the backswing is ok and there's a lot of athletic moves in there, but it all kind of crumples at impact, which would mean @mvmac's advice about Key 2 is sound. If you have the inclination, I'd thoroughly recommend the guys on evolvr (http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/) for sorting out swings :)

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

(edited)

Yeah we're looking into the video stuff.

I wouldn't worry about the backswing for now, just keep getting used to flaring the feet and getting the posture better. Gotta get that lower back arch out of there, will prevent injury and make it easier to keep the hips centered on the backswing.

Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)

bogey.jpg

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Hi @mvmac & @b101 - I'll do my very best and work on my posture. Sorting out my lower back shouldn't be a problem at all.

I am still working on Key #2 right now - not an easy one for me to be honest.

I just thought I have an inside takeaway or I am well under the plane during my takeaway. I will shorten the backswing as well.

Don't over analyze it guy work on your keys and make a full swing and finish. Your keeping your head down at impact and aren't even making a golf swing in one of your videos because your thinking about technical jargon. Think of it like a door with 5 hinges you know the little metal pin you put in to lock it in place. Well anyway if their not in place the door will not close unless you force it and break the door jam. That's the golf swing no matter the speed your swinging. Whatever your working on it will only work if you make a full swing and finish watch your misses and adjust accordingly until you can speed it up. Every little tweak in your swing,setup ball postion etc.. It will have an effect good or bad but you must commit to see the poor and proper results.

Hi @mvmac & @b101 - I'll do my very best and work on my posture. Sorting out my lower back shouldn't be a problem at all.

I am still working on Key #2 right now - not an easy one for me to be honest.

I just thought I have an inside takeaway or I am well under the plane during my takeaway. I will shorten the backswing as well.

mvmac is absolutely correct. Copy the Spieth posture. Since I do not stick my butt out any longer or keep the small in my back, I haven't had lower back injuries from golf.

As to aim, the feet should not matter. Align yourself by getting about 10 feet behind the ball, find your aim line with your shaft, pick a spot in front of your ball, approach the ball, place clubface behind the ball directed at your spot, feet together, now spread the feet aligning them with your clubface, then flare feet.

In your video, on the backswing, it looks as if you are bending/rolling the right wrist so when the shaft is parallel to the ground, the clubhead is behind the shaft, and you have no wrist hinge.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I thought, after dealing with all your input, the videos and the lessons I had, to post a proper feedback.

1. I have been working a lot on my swing throughout October and November.

2. Mid-October I played my best-ever rounds of golf. I was able to eliminate my slice and improve my impact.

3. Instead of losing balls to the right I hit fairly straight shots for 10 days.

4. Another 5 days later I started losing balls to the left, especially off the tee.

5. Another 5 days later I started shanking the ball on the driving range (45 shanks out of 50 balls).

6. I have no on-course shanks - but I am still facing a pull-hook off the deck and tee.

7. Went back to the range yesterday - still shanking the ball.

After I played my best-ever rounds I asked my playing partner to take a video of my swing and still wasn't happy with my OTT move and the slowly developing hook. I tried to work on my backswing a lot and combined with a lesson I had recently I ended up being completely confused and shanking the ball all over the place - left and right. I feel out of posture again addressing the ball. Please find below a video I recorded last week Monday. I hit the same "shots" yesterday evening - so the swing shouldn't be different.

For me the takeaway still looks to flat and I have problems rounding my back due to the lack of balance at address. For me it is still a mystery how I can fix my OTT move.

Up and down! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Update: I am still shanking the majority of the balls on the driving range - no problems on the course though. I having a tough time working on my hook too. I am trying to work on my takeaway a lot - looked very flat earlier on. Unfortunately I deleted my previous videos on YT and I am not able to edit my existing posts anymore.

Any suggestions?

• Administrator

Please don't remove videos. It really kinda wrecks your Member Swing thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (Cthaeeh)
8 hours ago, Bogeyaah said:

I am trying to work on my takeaway a lot - looked very flat earlier on.

Yeah the shaft loads shallow on the backswing and then you steepen it on the downswing. Some videos for you to check out.

Mike McLoughlin

2 hours ago, Bogeyaah said:

Many thanks for the feedback @mvmac. The videos really helped. I will work on my takeaway and come back with an update asap.

It is best to leave the older videos for comparison. All your previous videos have been removed. We can show you how much you've improved on a piece by showing you a side by side of then and now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (Bogeyaah)
  • 3 weeks later...

@boogielicious I won't delete videos ever again.

Happy New Year first all!

It's 2016 and thanks to you guys I have got some positive feedback to share.

• I feel a lot more comfortable flaring my feet
  • I feel a lot more comfortable rounding my back instead of sticking my butt out
  • @mvmac's video helped a lot to improve my takeaway

To cut a long story short: I stopped shanking the ball. I feel a lot more comfortable again hitting my shorter irons. I am still fighting a hook though - especially with my longer irons and woods (which I currently removed from my bag).

I took a lesson from my local pro before Christmas and he identified an unstable lower body (I am not keeping the right knee flexed) + over-rotating/over-active hands (especially my right hand).

He wants me to work on a much smoother rhythm, making a full shoulder turn during my backswing and rolling my right ankle through the downswing. The FlightScope is showing an in-to-out path - he wants me to swing a lot more left.

Rolling the right ankle is a completely new feeling. Unfortunately, due to -6 degress Celsius outside, I can't do much filming right now.

Could you guys recommend any good swing thoughts for a proper shoulder turn?

Note: This thread is 3027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!