IGNORED

Wedges: Cleveland CG versus Titleist Vokey

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Cleveland CG or Titleist Vokey

• Cleveland CG
    • Titleist Vokey
    • Other...and indicate which

I'm still in love with my TA 588, but I think when the time comes to upgrade I'll get the CG 10's or 12's. I'm not crazy about the new 14's.

From everything I've read here and seen on the course, vokey's and cg's are pretty much the way to go with wedges, just comes down to personal feel. I have a buddy that has 56 and 60 in both, he typically changes them out about once a month b/c he still can't decide what he likes.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a couple of Spin Milled wedges, no golf ball is safe with them in my hands....at the end of a round my ball is in bits (provided i haven't llost it;))

will be looking at other wedges next time i change them (grooves ware down) and cleveland will be up there in possibilities...

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

No...the CG10s are not that old...only say 3 yrs old.

Sorry guys, but neither the Titleist Vokey nor the Cleveland wedges are forged. Both brands use a carbon steel casting process to make their retail wedges. Pro clubs in many cases are forged, but not retail product. The manufacturing process to produce forged wedges is cost prohibitive. To find actual forged wedges you will have to go back and find some of the older wedges from the 80's, 70's and 60's and a few of the contemporary brands/models.

Irons: Staff 1987 or 1967 Dyna-Power
Driver: R580
3W: Burner Bubble
5W: Quad Pro
Hybrid: Halo 3iPutter: 1955 M2

Sorry guys, but neither the Titleist Vokey nor the Cleveland wedges are forged. Both brands use a carbon steel casting process to make their retail wedges. Pro clubs in many cases are forged, but not retail product. The manufacturing process to produce forged wedges is cost prohibitive. To find actual forged wedges you will have to go back and find some of the older wedges from the 80's, 70's and 60's and a few of the contemporary brands/models.

Darn golfshop pro indicated it was. Shows you how much they know....

I took out a CG10 52.10 this weekend. I liked how it set up and how it was easy to gain alignment. Feel was good and responsive. I think I'll stick with the CG.

• 1 month later...

maybe try Mizuno or even Srixon, both forged, 2008.

In the bag:
Driver-Cleveland HiBore XLS Tour 10.5s
Hybrids-Adams Pro Gold
Irons-Srixon I-701Tour PX6.0
Wedges-Srixon WG 50*/56*Putter-Rife BarbadosBalls-Bridgestone B330S

• 1 month later...
Im a big Vokey fan. I've used both, and just seem to like the Vokeys better. I've never had a problem with them shredding balls - and I hit a lot of wedge shots 110 yards and in. I carry 3 Vokey wedges, including two Spin Milled. I have recently switched from a 56/16 & 60/4 combo to a 54/14 and 58/12 combo. I like the consistent amount of bounce .

SS

Titleist Hybrid Stand Bag White & Lime Green
- TM Tour Burner 9.5 Degree, Aldila Proto by You
- TM R5 Ti 3 Wood
- TM Burner Hybrid #3,#4,#5
- Titleist AP2 6-PW, Project X 5.5 Shafts- Titleist Vokey 50 degree Black Nickel- Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Satin 54 and 58 Degree- Titleist Scotty...

Hands down the Vokey Spin Milled wedge is the best feeling wedge I have ever hit. I have played vokeys all my life; they just suit my eye with a very classic look and feel. I like a wedge that is fairly heavy so I can feel it in my backswing. I prefer a lower bounce on my 52* but my 56* is an 8... Just my two cents.

Hi-bore - 8.5* w/ 77g UST ProForce v2 stiff

PT- 21* x100 shaft

Ta3- Form Forged s300 shaftsVokey 52* 56*- Red X2 center shafted 33" ProV1x- High Numbers only (5's)

Cleveland's new CG12 DSG are gorgeous, love them... wonder if Titleist will ever have a grind on wedges, or Callaway for that matter.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

i would go with the cleveland because the get the equal amnt of spin as the vokeys and they have a great fell and look to them

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

Aren't vokey spin milled banned on tour and soon to be banned in competitions? I dunno, I have only ever demoed a vokey spin milled and I thought it was nice but the bounce was too high, and not worth the money. The wedges from my iron set are really nice, if I can get up to 10 feet of backspin accuratly depending on the greens with a pro v1, I don't see why I should change wedges...

what are you talking about tons of the titeliest sponcered guys use them i think you might be confused with the contriversial u grooves

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I have a bunch of Clevelands and several Vokey's. I'm switching to Srixon WG-706s. They are just the best I've tried.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Cleveland's new CG12 DSG are gorgeous, love them... wonder if Titleist will ever have a grind on wedges, or Callaway for that matter.

I agree with Big_M, the DSG makes the CG12 very easy to use. The single bounce angle of the Vokey makes it a compromise, low bounce helps with short pitch shots but makes full-swing more difficult because some of us don't always make a perfect swing and the higher bounce leading edge of the DSG is more forgiving. I bought a 60/8 Vokey because I kept chunking the 60/4. I also use the 64-deg DSG with 3-deg of bounce and I can easily hit it full-swing.

In my Nexos
HiBore XLS Draw Driver
X-hybrid 4,5
Fusion Wide Sole 6-AW
Black Pearl CG10 54/14, CG12 DSG 64 Vokey SM Oil Can 60/8 Spider Pro V1x HX Hot Bite

I choose Cleveland CG lob wedge primarilly because of the low bounce options easily available.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

• 1 month later...
i've tried the vokey spin mill and sold it right away. I opted for the cg 12 DSG and i love them. Feel and looks great. I can pretty much do anything i want with these wedges

Cleveland is the way to go. Cost friendly and very playable. They make wedges.

Buy a Vokey if you need something to match your stylish Scotty Cameron and impress the boys at the Country Club with 20 handicaps. Just another case of the Titleist marketing machine.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!