IGNORED

PEZGolf Truth Squad

PEZGolf
Note: This thread is 3051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, PEZGolf said:

You guys and gals I will NOT be surprised to hear that I went to see my doctor this week. My wife accompanied me (actually, she LED ME BY MY NOSE there! The doctor's diagnosis: a MILD case of being bipolar. I am now taking risperidone, against my bitter objections (THEY call it "denial"). I still believe that I need only 3 hours sleep a night. Michelangelo, Albert Einstein, and Thomas Edison needed only 3 hours!

That is GREAT news for both you and your family. These things are highly treatable. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Hey @PEZGolf, I'll take you up on your offer to play someone on three conditions:

1) You come to Colorado to play the match (or meet me in Michigan next summer when I go there)

2) We both play the same tees (though you can choose which tees we play)

3) You agree that I may publish the results of the match on this forum afterwords

I agree. I understand that MI has many excellent courses!8

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I have been down and depressed, and UP and hyper. I definitely prefer the latter. My wife and granddaughter prefer NEITHER in me. They would rather that I be happy and normally energetic. It is my goal to get to where they want me to be!

4 hours ago, PEZGolf said:

I have been down and depressed, and UP and hyper. I definitely prefer the latter. My wife and granddaughter prefer NEITHER in me. They would rather that I be happy and normally energetic. It is my goal to get to where they want me to be!

Mitch,

Please understand that we are welcoming to all and forgiving as well. You've gotten off to a rough start, but that can change. Please revise your Handicap to an appropriate number. It is a common mistake folks make about handicap and you will not be the first to make this mistake. Many of your posts are entertaining and we would welcome you back if you can admit fault here, given the tone and timbre of the OP.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Mitch,

Please understand that we are welcoming to all and forgiving as well. You've gotten off to a rough start, but that can change. Please revise your Handicap to an appropriate number. It is a common mistake folks make about handicap and you will not be the first to make this mistake. Many of your posts are entertaining and we would welcome you back if you can admit fault here, given the tone and timbre of the OP.

I am going to review my handicap this afternoon and if it goes up to 15, I do NOT care! When I play in a tournament, I ALWAYS enter the scratch division . I do NOT want to win ANYTHING based on my NET SCORE!!

12 minutes ago, PEZGolf said:

I am going to review my handicap this afternoon and if it goes up to 15, I do NOT care! When I play in a tournament, I ALWAYS enter the scratch division . I do NOT want to win ANYTHING based on my NET SCORE!!

I'll echo what @boogielicious said above about this being a welcoming and forgiving place. We can also be unforgiving and pounce when we sense obnoxious behavior. Good to see you getting back to a better place. 

If you don't mind my saying, most of us might use capitalization only once in a blue moon. I think the consensus online (not just this forum) is that capital letters indicates anger or over-the-top passion. If you continue, fair enough, but be aware that the overall impact is that most of us get turned off a bit. There's a difference between:

"When I play in a tournament, I ALWAYS enter the scratch division . I do NOT want to win ANYTHING based on my NET SCORE!!" 
"When I play in a tournament, I always enter the scratch division. I don't want to win anything based on my net score!!"

The bottom one is plenty strong enough. The top one strikes me as a bit overzealous. YMMV. But overall, best wishes in dealing with whatever your circumstances are. The mods here have done a good job communicating expectations and none of it is personal.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

3 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I'll echo what @boogielicious said above about this being a welcoming and forgiving place. We can also be unforgiving and pounce when we sense obnoxious behavior. Good to see you getting back to a better place. 

If you don't mind my saying, most of us might use capitalization only once in a blue moon. I think the consensus online (not just this forum) is that capital letters indicates anger or over-the-top passion. If you continue, fair enough, but be aware that the overall impact is that most of us get turned off a bit. There's a difference between:

"When I play in a tournament, I ALWAYS enter the scratch division . I do NOT want to win ANYTHING based on my NET SCORE!!" 
"When I play in a tournament, I always enter the scratch division. I don't want to win anything based on my net score!!"

The bottom one is plenty strong enough. The top one strikes me as a bit overzealous. YMMV. But overall, best wishes in dealing with whatever your circumstances are. The mods here have done a good job communicating expectations and none of it is personal.

Your advice is welcome and correct. I will tone it down since I do believe in The Golden Rule, and I would not want any of you to overcapitalize with me. The same applies to my use of exclamation points. I tend to be very expressive.

I fell asleep at 5 and just woke up. The videos of my golf swing are on my cell phone. None of the photos in "gallery" on my Verizon phone are viewable . Everything is black. I will have to go to the Verizon kiosk to have it fixed. If all goes well, my swings will be on YouTube tomorrow.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, PEZGolf said:

I fell asleep at 5 and just woke up. The videos of my golf swing are on my cell phone. None of the photos in "gallery" on my Verizon phone are viewable . Everything is black. I will have to go to the Verizon kiosk to have it fixed. If all goes well, my swings will be on YouTube tomorrow.

While you wait, feel free to address the handicap calculation. That's the main issue at play here given the OP.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, PEZGolf said:

How incredibly conveni- I man, how unfortunate that your phone is having troubles. I hate it when I have my videos all ready to upload but can't do it due to technical difficulties. 

34 minutes ago, PEZGolf said:

How incredibly conveni- I mean, how unfortunate that your phone is having troubles. I hate it when I have my videos all ready to upload but can't do it due to technical difficulties. 

HELP! At the courses I played from Sept 24 until Nov. 27, the slope rating was 106, and my total scores for 36 nine hole rounds was 1,413 (avg of 39.2) and par was 1,360 (avg of 38.0). So what is my handicap index?

• Administrator
Just now, PEZGolf said:

HELP! At the courses I played from Sept 24 until Nov. 27, the slope rating was 106, and my total scores for 36 nine hole rounds was 1,413 (avg of 39.2) and par was 1,360 (avg of 38.0). So what is my handicap index?

a) Par was not 38. It's a complete joke to think that you can just make up par because you can't reach a 390-yard hole with a perfect driver and a perfect 3W.

b) Handicaps are calculated looking at the course rating, which for your course, is probably about 69.0 (34.5 for nine holes). So (39.2 - 34.5) * 2 * (113/106) is about a 10.

This is the part where it feels like you're just screwing around, Mitch. Seriously… it's a handicap calculation. It's not rocket science.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks. I always knew what a handicap is and how it is calculated. I really never knew how to calculate a handicap index, until now. As I have already stated, I did not care what my handicap is since I play in scratch tournaments.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, PEZGolf said:

Thanks. I always knew what a handicap is and how it is calculated. I really never knew how to calculate a handicap index, until now. As I have already stated, I did not care what my handicap is since I play in scratch tournaments.

No, you clearly haven't. You need to know your handicap index before you can calculate a course handicap.

You're showing off a very poor understanding of something very basic to golf, and once again making yourself look bad given the point of the OP.

On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 9:45 AM, PEZGolf said:

In order to write an article in my magazine, ************* you must have a handicap of 5 or less, have won 5 or more scratch tournaments (I.e. non-handicap),  and play a 18 hole round with me and come within 5 shots of my score. Please note the MAGIC NUMBER is always "5"! And my handicap index is 1.3! Too many "journalists" do NOT have direct experience! They will not "make the cut" with me!

1 hour ago, PEZGolf said:

I'm not trying to pile on here, but how can you represent yourself as an expert on golf and judge others based on their handicap when until today you didn't even know how to calculate a handicap or what yours is?

Some might call you a hypocrite, but given your recent diagnosis, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, PEZGolf said:

Slope rating of 106 is even lower than the standard bogey rating of 113. http://www.popeofslope.com/courserating/twoparameter.html

A standard par 36 for 9 holes is: 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 5 5= 36

For there to be a par 38 you would need to eliminate the par 3 or bump up 2 of the par 4 to 5 for something like this: 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 5= 38 or this 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 5 5= 38

To be clear, this has nothing to do with the CR which is more than likely what you meant?

Course rating on the other hand is what the typical scratch player will score, so a CR of 76 means that a scratch player would typically score 76. The par rating could still be 71 or 72. You'd just have a couple really long par 4 holes and the rest being just plain long. You would not be able to reach in regulation on a CR 76 course, it would be something north of 7300 yards.

Getting back to the 113 number I quoted earlier, the "standard" course rating is 72/113. Realistically there is no course that can be a 72CR and still be a 113 bogey rating. They are directly linked, so I would guess that the minimum realistic bogey rating for a 72 CR is realistically 125.

So, even if you meant the CR of 76 there is no way that a 106 bogey rating would yield a CR of 76. A CR76 would typically yield a bogey rating in the 150s.

There are currently no par 76 courses that I could find, and the only one I found was a typo. . .

http://www.oconeecountry.com/golf.html

Falcon’s Lair Golf Course
18 holes, 6,866 yards, par 76 (public)
1308 Falcons Dr.
Walhalla, SC 29691-3615
(864) 638-0000

Even if you meant a 76 CR, it would be impossible for it to be a bogey rating of 106. That's like saying a scratch golfer will play worse on that course than a bogey golfer relative to most other courses.

Here's a reference from USGA:

The following are terms essential to the USGA Course Rating System:

Scratch Golfer: A male scratch golfer is a player who can play to a Course Handicap of zero on any and all rated golf courses. A male scratch golfer, for rating purposes, can hit tee shots an average of 250 yards and can reach a 470-yard hole in two shots.

A female scratch golfer is a player who can play to a Course Handicap of zero on any and all rated golf courses. A female scratch golfer, for rating purposes, can hit tee shots an average of 210 yards and can reach a 400-yard hole in two shots at sea level.

USGA Course Rating:  A USGA Course Rating is the evaluation of the playing difficulty of a course for scratch golfers under normal course and weather conditions. It is expressed as the number of strokes taken to one decimal place (72.5), and is based on yardage and other obstacles to the extent that they affect the scoring difficulty of the scratch golfer. 

Bogey Golfer:   A male bogey golfer is a player who has a Course Handicap™ of approximately 20 on a course of standard difficulty. He can hit tee shots an average of 200 yards and can reach a 370-yard hole in two shots at sea level.

A female bogey golfer is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 24 on a course of standard difficulty. She can hit tee shots an average of 150 yards and can reach a 280-yard hole in two shots.

Bogey Rating™:   A Bogey Rating is the evaluation of the playing difficulty of a course for bogey golfers under normal course and weather conditions. It is expressed as the number of strokes taken to one decimal place (92.1), and is based on yardage and other obstacles to the extent that they affect the scoring difficulty of the bogey golfer.

Slope Rating®: A Slope Rating is the USGA® mark that indicates the measurement of the relative playing difficulty of a course for players who are not scratch golfers, compared to scratch golfers.  It is computed from the difference between the Bogey Rating and the USGA Course Rating times a constant factor and is expressed as a whole number from 55 to 155.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Getting back to the 113 number I quoted earlier, the "standard" course rating is 72/113. Realistically there is no course that can be a 72CR and still be a 113 bogey rating. They are directly linked, so I would guess that the minimum realistic bogey rating for a 72 CR is realistically 125.

That's not entirely true. You could have a 72.0/113 course.

@Lihu, if you read the earlier posts, you'll see @PEZGolf thinks that the par is 38 because they change par on two par 4s to be par 5s because they cannot reach the par 4s with a "perfect" driver and a "perfect" 3W… despite them being, on average, under 400 yards…

Just read above.

Note: This thread is 3051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!