IGNORED

In the market for new irons

Anwell
Note: This thread is 6031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys, I've bee lurking around on the forum for the past couple days. I am currently in the market for new irons. However, since I am a lefty, I dont get much chance to try out all different sets of iron. I would like to get something similar to my current irons (Titleist DCI 762). Nothing with really wide sole or blade (not good enough for them heh) I am open to suggestions. Thank you.

PS. Anyone lives in NJ and know a good club fitting spot? :) Thanks

Hi guys, I've bee lurking around on the forum for the past couple days. I am currently in the market for new irons. However, since I am a lefty, I dont get much chance to try out all different sets of iron. I would like to get something similar to my current irons (Titleist DCI 762). Nothing with really wide sole or blade (not good enough for them heh) I am open to suggestions. Thank you.

You may wish to give the Titleist 775cb irons a try: they have game improvement features but the sole and top are not nearly as wide as many other companies' game improvement offerings. They are forged, feel soft and sweet when well struck, but will still give feedback on mishits. I have them and like them very much.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

well playing off a 30, any titleiest club is going to hurt you. the only game improvement iron that looks like a players iron is the nike cci. but seriously titleiest makes players irons only, i dont care what they say about there own clubs, if you go out and get a good set of game improvement irons your handicapp will come down quickly.

-matt

p.s. or if you dont mind buying pre-owned, i just got my pings off ebay for $200, smaller than the o-size(but no where nere as small as a blade) less offset but stiff offers alot of perimeter weighting to help those off center hits travel alittle further than a forged iron.

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Take a look at the Nike Slingshots and Callaway Big Bertha's. Great clubs.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Thanks for all the replies. I went to golf store today to test out some irons. I tried x-20, fusion, big bertha, R7, Ping I 10. I didnt like any of those except I10(smaller sole). I wasnt really into callaway b/c of the offset from the setup. I really wanted to try R7 TP but they didnt have any demo clubs or any new one for that matter. I-10 feels pretty nice except the club head weight is really light compares to my DCI 762 and R7. When I swung, I felt like I was holding nothing.
I dont know, I might do a bit more research or I should take a chance with R7 TP. Its tough to be a lefty, cant really try for anything heh.

Ping S59!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

If you are really a 30, then I would take your current clubs, get fit and have them adjusted. Then I would either take a series of lessons, or spend a lot of time learning the golf swing and improving yours. Once you get under 20, then revisit the iron question. Why?

The right clubs for you as an improving 30, might be the wrong clubs for you as an improving 18.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

yea, at 30 handicap...new irons that have anything close to the word "tour" in them arent gonna help...

look into the nickent 3dx hybrid irons...very easy to hit.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Go with game improvement clubs and not TOUR products. If looks or coolness factor is what you are going after with performance, then I guess Mizuno MP57 could be a choice but still not recomended for 30 handicap... Best to go with r7 iron or r7 draw irons rather than r7 TP. Callaway Fusion, Big Bertha are great as well. Cobra irons (Cobra FP) are same company as Titleist but known to be more forgiving and give lots of distance.

Honestly, I would just use what you have until you play in the high 90's/low 100's consistantly before you make any purchase. Just my opinion.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Heh thanks. Im taking a series of golf lessons right now. My irons right now definitely arent game improvment irons. As for new clubs, I just wanted to buy a set of irons for myself for x'mas and my b-day, lol

I was talking to my coach about the new irons. He told me that I shouldnt get a game improvement irons because you cant really tell if there is anything wrong with the swing.
As I mentioned before, I was looking at the game improvment irons, I demo x-20 and big bertha again today. Those just look weird on the set up. i dont know, I was hitting them for about an hour, still couldnt get used to those.

Note: This thread is 6031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!