freshmanUTA

My Swing (freshmanUTA)

141 posts / 24090 viewsLast Reply

Wow, talk about successful day!! I won a brand new Ping G driver JUST FOR BUYING A BUCKET OF BALLS!! I was the range's 1 millionth customer in the 10 years it's been around and I won a Ping G driver. It's regular flex so not sure if I'm gonna use it or sell it, but wow am I happy.

Swings felt great today, one putting session and I'm already way more consistent at hitting the middle, and i averaged 5/10 balls within 3-5 feet on ALL my short game shots. I dont know if it was skill, or joy from winning this driver!

Haha, anyway. Still need some serious work on keeping my head from coming forward, I had my dad hold an alignment stick to my head today(what a great way to spend your day off work, huh dad?) and it was starting to help. Unfortunately the video is on my dad's phone and i can't get it uploaded. Another thing i've noticed is with my 6 iron down, I'm very inconsistent hitting the middle of the clubface. It's a gamble of where my strike ends up. Need to work on that.

IMG_6545.JPG

Edited by freshmanUTA
Forgot to upload picture.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On August 2, 2016 at 0:53 PM, freshmanUTA said:

Swings felt great today, one putting session and I'm already way more consistent at hitting the middle, and i averaged 5/10 balls within 3-5 feet on ALL my short game shots.

Blah blah blah but how'd you hit it with your new driver?  And congrats!

2 hours ago, allenc said:

Blah blah blah but how'd you hit it with your new driver?  And congrats!

About the same as any other driver ;) Kidding of course. The driver felt great and I was getting some more distance. Not much maybe 5 yards but I only know that cause I hit both in a simulator afterwards. Something funny to not is that even though its regular flex, on swings where I give it almost 100% effort, the ball still goes straight and it doesn't feel like a regular flex. 

Only shots on course will tell it it stays in the bag!!

I'm kinda stumped. When i work on my swing I can't seem to figure out how to keep my head still. If you look at my swing, i lead my downswing with my shoulders(that's what it looks like) but it FEELS, like I'm leading with my legs. What can i do to work on this? My head and upper body all slide towards to target like my hips do.

On August 4, 2016 at 11:59 PM, freshmanUTA said:

I'm kinda stumped. When i work on my swing I can't seem to figure out how to keep my head still. If you look at my swing, i lead my downswing with my shoulders(that's what it looks like) but it FEELS, like I'm leading with my legs. What can i do to work on this? My head and upper body all slide towards to target like my hips do.

Is that your priority? How do you know?

The way you work on something is… by working on it. Properly. If it's the priority piece.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:53 PM, freshmanUTA said:

Wow, talk about successful day!! I won a brand new Ping G driver JUST FOR BUYING A BUCKET OF BALLS!! I was the range's 1 millionth customer in the 10 years it's been around and I won a Ping G driver. It's regular flex so not sure if I'm gonna use it or sell it, but wow am I happy.

That's awesome.  Congrats!

(I'm imagining you being showered with confetti as bells and alarms go off, like in the commercials)

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Is that your priority? How do you know?

The way you work on something is… by working on it. Properly. If it's the priority piece.

It is, this is the second lesson my evolvr instructor emphasized working on this. I'm still working on this, but like i said my shoulder still moves toward target. I spent the whole week, exluding the past two days(packing), working on it and my video isn't showing results. Again, i'm doing the tradition Feel like your legs lead, which isn't working. The alignment stick against my head works, but only when it's against my head. Even at the slowest speed sliding my hips forward seems to bring my shoulders with. I'm not giving up, just wondering if there's other things i could try.

3 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

That's awesome.  Congrats!

(I'm imagining you being showered with confetti as bells and alarms go off, like in the commercials)

No, i was pretty shocked they kinda just handed it to me and said congrats haha.

19 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

The alignment stick against my head works, but only when it's against my head.

Do it in a mirror.

Put the stick against your head and see what it feels like.

Then do that without the stick in a mirror and see if the feel works to produce the right mechanics.

Here's a most recent video of my swing. It's not a good angle so I apologize. Took a long break after injury but decided to get back into it, took 2 lessons and have been working a lot on tempo. To me it looks like i cast the club to start my downswing which I don't like. 

edit: re-posted video

IMG_7140.MOV

Edited by freshmanUTA

So, I played this week. Decided to use it as a practice round and started off with a par, and after that i started shanking balls left and right. My roomate told me it looks like I'm 'jumpy in my legs'. I need to go to the range and spend a day working on my tempo. My current instructor said that the reason I haven't been able to return to the way I swung in high school is because my tempo hasn't been the same. He recommended a drill where I hold a club and swing it back and forth from the top of the backswing to the follow-through and back again. He said to do it 5 times before every golf shot I take, range, course, etc. Been using it and kind of getting a feel for it, but not enough to consistently strike the ball. So I'm going to go tomorrow and hit about a hundred balls really emphasizing the tempo drill. Aside from that he told me not to worry about my path while I work on tempo. He said to just let my body do what it naturally does and not worry about ballflight, so I'm gonna hit 1 ball for about every 25 practice tempo swings I take, and if I don't see improvement in my striking I'll increase the amount of tempo swings I take.

Pretty discouraging practice session for everything but my driver. I started hitting my driver consistently straight and long so I'm happy with the progress so far. 3 wood, and my 7 iron through wedges were just awful. I was fatting my 3 wood if it wasn't off a tee, I couldn't hit any of my irons out of the center, which I usually can, and I was just all over the place. I wasn't really trying anything new in my swing just trying to work on tempo. No consistent shot shape either. On everything but my driver i was getting a variety of misses, push hooks, pull slices, and other misses like tops, fats, thins, etc. 

Need to see my instructor again soon.

OVER
with
43%
FWAY ACC
22%
GIR
PUTTS/HOLE

So this wasn't today but I played a round of 9 holes, and aside from one hole it was actually a pretty decent round. 43% fairway accuracy is pretty low, as well as 22% GIR. I'd like to raise both those numbers to around 60% by the end of march. 1.78 Putts per hole is excellent. 

My scorecard was E,+2,+1,+5,+1,E,E,+1,+1.

That means if I hadn't shot a single triple or higher, I would have been playing less than bogey golf, which is a huge step up. It was just one short hole where I tried to hit a 3 wood off the tee, but i'm pretty bad with a 3 wood so I need to work on it.

To view this round, click the link in my profile to my GameGolf.

The video below should help you get a better understanding how the body works to n fro. Get this down and you will see drastic improvement. Also if nothing else do tons of feet and knees together swing drills. That will give you so much body awareness. Listed a video below the 1st one that gives a great tutorial. Enjoy and hope it helps.

So, I have another lesson on saturday but I've been working hard maintaining my posture during the swing. Over the last few months i developed a trend where on the down swing i would lean my left shoulder toward the ball and my right shoulder would come under and 4 times out of 5 i hit the ball fat. Yesterday's range session showed tremendous improvement, and i was back to hitting good shots again. Now that I have this down, I think it's time for another lesson so I can work on whatever he tells me next.

Also, I bought a nike blades 4 iron for fun because I've always liked the look of blades but don't have the balls to actually play them, and I was shocked at how much distance I got, even on mishits. I was even more surprised when I put it on a tee and was hitting the ball almost as far as my 3 wood... just a lot more accurate. Can anyone say Beginners Luck? I think the true cause for this is actually the loft of the 4 iron. The one i have now(Cobra King Forged TEC), has so little loft it feels like i'm attempting to hit driver off the deck and is super tough to hit.

My swing already feels better from the work I've been doing. I'm going to the range tonight and I'll upload a video later tonight. My most recent lesson left me working on making sure my weight transfers into my left heel when i'm striking the ball. This not only lets me hit ball first but also ensures that i don't lean into my toes which causes me to hit fat shots where I deliver the toe down and opens the face and forces me to push shots to the right while losing distance. 

This is today. I'm a little frustrated at my computer because the video was recorded vertically and plays upright on my phone and computer but whenever I upload it to youtube it turns it sideways to fill the video.. I'm not sure why. 

IMG_7204.PNG

IMG_7205.PNG

IMG_7206.PNG

IMG_7207.PNG

IMG_7208.PNG

IMG_7209.PNG

My my only real problem is that it looks like I cast the club to start the downswing.

Finally got it. This time in full speed. The more I watch it the more I see that me casting the club is just to shallow it to get it on a better plane, and as soon as its on plane I stop casting. I need to get a face on swing but at this dome it's hard to do so when there are so many people and so little hitting bays. 

You can see the cast a little at the start then it goes away when my shaft gets on plane. I think if I shortened my backswing a little the Cast would completely go away.

Been working on bringing the club up with the face pointed more down to the ground and then shallowing the club, followed by turning through the ball. Almost feeling as though my club is just "along for the ride".