Jump to content
freshmanUTA

My Swing (freshmanUTA)

114 posts / 18855 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I've been Playing Golf for: Once or twice a year for 3 years. Last year i started taking it seriously and playing a lot more.
My current handicap index or average score is: Last score was 79. I don't play often enough to have an average score, but i put my last 5 rounds into diablo golf and it says 12M
My typical ball flight is: Straight/Draw with irons, Fade with woods(by opening the face. If i keep the face square i struggle to get the ball higher than a flag-pin), Straight push with driver. Sometimes with my driver when i push the ball it ends up drawing back a few yards.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hook/Push - I know, my misses are on opposite sides of the course.


Videos: 

Hybrid:

 

 

Iron:

 

 

 

To my uneducated eye, think that i overswing. But thats about all that i see wrong. 

Edited by freshmanUTA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

46 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I've been Playing Golf for: Once or twice a year for 3 years. Last year i started taking it seriously and playing a lot more.
My current handicap index or average score is: Last score was 79. I don't play often enough to have an average score, but i put my last 5 rounds into diablo golf and it says 12M
My typical ball flight is: Straight/Draw with irons, Fade with woods(by opening the face. If i keep the face square i struggle to get the ball higher than a flag-pin), Straight push with driver. Sometimes with my driver when i push the ball it ends up drawing back a few yards.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hook/Push - I know, my misses are on opposite sides of the course.


Videos: 

Hybrid:

 

 

Iron:

 

 

 

To my uneducated eye, think that i overswing. But thats about all that i see wrong. 

It is not necessarily over swinging. You are swaying backwards considerably. The screenshot below shows you at setup and at A4, top of back swing. You have moved way back, both your hips and head.

FreshmanUTA.thumb.jpg.2876855bdf54bea4db

This makes it very difficult for you to get your weight back forward before impact.  Check out the thread below and work on centering your hip turn and keeping your head relatively steady.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It is not necessarily over swinging. You are swaying backwards considerably. The screenshot below shows you at setup and at A4, top of back swing. You have moved way back, both your hips and head.

FreshmanUTA.thumb.jpg.2876855bdf54bea4db

This makes it very difficult for you to get your weight back forward before impact.  Check out the thread below and work on centering your hip turn and keeping your head relatively steady.

 

 

Hmm, maybe that's why sometimes I fall forward. Because I have to transfer my weight faster to get it forward at impact.

 

Thanks! I'll definitely incorporate this into my range sessions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A1 - Address Position

A1.PNG.6cbbd01261b020fb18673061ff99c343.

A4 - Top of the backswing
Your head moves laterally what looks like a good 6-8 inches. Your hips move laterally about 3-4 inches. Imagine a line from the top of your head to your belt buckle. What you want to do is get to A4 and maintain that angle in your swing with your head not moving much. It can move a tad, but not the amount you do. 

This probably means you might feel more weight on your front side. You might feel like your right hip turns more behind you and sooner in the swing. It might feel like your head is moving towards the ball. You might feel like you need to point your chest away and towards the ground to your right more.

I am saying feel, but not what actually happens. I would get a mirror and just do some turns with out a club. Cross your arms over your chest and just turn, looking in the mirror to make sure you are not moving laterally. 

A4.PNG.6627742b45a68a245cb19ee200249384.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey guys! I was working on some full swing stuff with old wedges to work on my full swing since I couldn't go to the range or hitting bay at golfsmith. 

 

Heres es where I am now, I have significantly decreased the slide backwards with my body. I'm currently uploading a DTL view but it's stuck processing because YouTube is crappy for me :P

 

 

 

Just st a note, it wouldn't focus on me no matter what I did so I'm sorry about the blur.

 

 

Haha it finally processed here's the DTL.

 

 

 

I think I come over the top even though it doesn't feel like that.

Edited by freshmanUTA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, SavvySwede said:

You sure you have enough room to swing in that space? Looks like you're trying to avoid hitting the ceiling.

Lol. Yeah I actually am. I should probably stop doing this in the basement then right? Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, freshmanUTA said:

Lol. Yeah I actually am. I should probably stop doing this in the basement then right? Haha

I wouldn't advise it, you'll just end up too shallow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On February 12, 2016 at 8:02 PM, SavvySwede said:

I wouldn't advise it, you'll just end up too shallow.

I believe this started happening.

 

This is my swing after practicing on the range. I made sure I had full room on my backswing and for some reason I stopped my follow through even though I had enough room.

 

Another question, I score better when I play a fade. I want to hit a draw but often end up pushing the ball. How do I get over my want to play a draw and tell myself that I play better with a fade so I should stick to a fade? I mean seriously I hit every fairway with my driver today when I played a fade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/28/2016 at 9:08 PM, freshmanUTA said:

I believe this started happening.

Another question, I score better when I play a fade. I want to hit a draw but often end up pushing the ball. How do I get over my want to play a draw and tell myself that I play better with a fade so I should stick to a fade? I mean seriously I hit every fairway with my driver today when I played a fade.

Why DO you want to hit a draw?  Does a draw look prettier, or did someone tell you that a draw is a "better" shot?  The shot to play is the one that allows you to score the best.  Simple.  Stop wanting, just go out and score.

Now if you continue to get instruction, whether its from the guys here or in person or whatever, your "normal" ball flight may change.  Any shape that results from  consistent contact and produces consistent distance and consistent directional control, that's a damned good shot to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Why DO you want to hit a draw?  Does a draw look prettier, or did someone tell you that a draw is a "better" shot?  The shot to play is the one that allows you to score the best.  Simple.  Stop wanting, just go out and score

Pretty much this. The one thing I try to do before a round is figure out what the heck my ball flight wants to do today. Maybe it's more of a push than a draw. I need to figure out what is the most consistent ball flight and go with it. If it starts to change on the course. Maybe I need to adjust a tad on the fly. 

You can't play golf effectively forcing a ball flight you can't consistently pull off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Why DO you want to hit a draw?  Does a draw look prettier, or did someone tell you that a draw is a "better" shot?  The shot to play is the one that allows you to score the best.  Simple.  Stop wanting, just go out and score.

I guess that it looks prettier. It also stems from the fact that I hate missing on the right. When I need to play a fade I can do so but a lot of the time my draws end up pushes or if I'm having a bad day they're pull draws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I Bought a practice blade. You can see in the picture that when I did hit it correctly, my strikes are relatively consistent: that was after 50 shots. The green area and the grass is where most of my strikes were. It was muddy so the club is horribly dirty. The club itself doesn't have toe weighting and is a legit butter knife.

However, my results were still the same: Thins, fats, shanks, hooks, pushes(no slices, I don't slice the ball), etc. I don't have a video but something is seriously going wrong ever since I started working on making a centered hip turn. 

A video will come shortly, but in the meantime, why am I mishitting the ball when I'm making a proper centered turn, but I was hitting good shots when I was sliding my body??

 

PS: This is a rant-mode post. I'm really frustrated, this is why I couldn't take lessons, any time they tried to fix something it would cause way more problems. If only there was a place that wasn't GolfTec lessons that would actually respond to me wanting to inquire about lessons.

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

A video will come shortly, but in the meantime, why am I mishitting the ball when I'm making a proper centered turn, but I was hitting good shots when I was sliding my body??

You made a huge lateral shift towards the target at transition to compensate for the shift away during the backswing. It's possible that you are still sliding your upper body forward despite being more centered now. Video will tell for certain.

2 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I'm really frustrated, this is why I couldn't take lessons, any time they tried to fix something it would cause way more problems.

There is bound to be an adjustment period when you make any significant changes to your swing, especially if you became pretty decent playing with whatever compensations you had. You made thousands of swings like that and they're not all going to go away all at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I Bought a practice blade. You can see in the picture that when I did hit it correctly, my strikes are relatively consistent: that was after 50 shots. The green area and the grass is where most of my strikes were. It was muddy so the club is horribly dirty. The club itself doesn't have toe weighting and is a legit butter knife.

However, my results were still the same: Thins, fats, shanks, hooks, pushes(no slices, I don't slice the ball), etc. I don't have a video but something is seriously going wrong ever since I started working on making a centered hip turn. 

A video will come shortly, but in the meantime, why am I mishitting the ball when I'm making a proper centered turn, but I was hitting good shots when I was sliding my body??

PS: This is a rant-mode post. I'm really frustrated, this is why I couldn't take lessons, any time they tried to fix something it would cause way more problems. If only there was a place that wasn't GolfTec lessons that would actually respond to me wanting to inquire about lessons.

It's not that simple. There are four stages of working on your swing.

1. Unconscious incompetence- you are unaware of what your faults are
2. Conscious incompetence- you become aware of your faults and begin to fix them
3. Conscious competence- you can do the correct movement but you need to mentally focus to do it
4. Unconscious competence- the movement becomes second nature.

It's been just over a month since you uploaded your first swing video so you are no doubt only in the beginning of the third phase.(Which is by far the longest phase) With your original move you hit the ball at a relatively consistent level because you didn't have to think about it. The new movement pattern is inconsistent because it still varies with your level of focus.

Most golfers don't improve and slide back into their old habits because their scores rise a little in the short term and they can't see the payoff lying further down the road. Keep working hard at having a centered hip turn and you will eventually get over the hump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Most golfers don't improve and slide back into their old habits because their scores rise a little in the short term and they can't see the payoff lying further down the road. Keep working hard at having a centered hip turn and you will eventually get over the hump.

Pretty much this. Some people need to work on the same thing maybe for however long they want to play golf. I say play golf as in want to keep improving or maintain the level they want. Anybody can play golf. 

Yea, keep working at it. What usually happens is. You fix one thing, then a compensation for that now doesn't fit your swing anymore. Once you fix the first thing you need to move on to another piece. There will be growing pains. If you want to improve then just ride the ups and downs. There is no such thing as instant lasting improvement in golf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So here's a DTL, the face on is still uploading(YouTube, gotta love it).

Remember, this is with my bladed practice iron. I'm purposely swinging slower to try and control my swing better. I also have full speed swings processing on YouTube.

 

Heres what I see and think are issues, but don't know how to fix them.

image.thumb.png.3a6b86ccbc50c906a8cfd09d

My club is outside my hands on the backswing.

image.thumb.png.3acc2eb421b5812433d1fbbf

This is what I understand to be "Under the swing plane"

image.thumb.png.6934382e87c78564cee96e7c

This is me over the swing plane.

 

it doesn't look like there's a significant over the top move, but I guess I come over the top.

image.thumb.png.4f98937bd61cd232178b895d

It seems like I'm close to "On Plane" but still where I'd be coming from "Out-To-In".

 

Someone at a golf shop recommended just standing further and it didn't help matters, still shanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Face On finished uploading.

The impact was a ton better here because I tried lessening the hinge on my wrists and it worked wonders.

Here's what I see:image.thumb.png.19682c4ed6a00c514dc6b215

I still sway left, but it doesn't appear to be nearly as bad(Green: Setup)

image.thumb.png.bc14bb52fa494fc970bf5b45

It appears as though I'm in line as Key #1 says. This is the closest I could come to impact.

 

image.thumb.png.a2b3109f019b94222ef6b2f0

I seem to get my weight forward.(Green is right edge of head at setup)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...