IGNORED

New Guy

Bill7707
Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All – I am excited to be part of the community. I have been following along for a couple months and now that I can see an end coming to winter here in the Northeast I thought it would be a good time to join.

About me: 34 years old, married 2 young boys, work in IT.

My short back story: I played baseball and softball up until shoulder surgery 4 years ago. Now anything that requires overhand movement outside of casting a fishing line (which I do often in the spring) hurts. I guess last year the wife had enough of me being home all weekend all the time. She told me I should find a hobby. Truth is I couldn’t find something to fill that competitive void. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy coaching and watching my kids in their sport(s) but still it’s not the same. I’m sure all of you to some degree can relate? Fast forward to July last year and I was invited to a work related golf scramble. So I borrowed a set of clubs and off I went just looking to enjoy my time. I lost maybe 15 balls, didn’t really make divots or even chunks, I would call them more holes. By the 5th hole I was all but done and then it happened. I hit a shot out of the sand and it rolled to about 6 inches. The very next hole I hit a perfectly straight drive (irony is that went into the water) and then ended that hole with about a 30 foot putt that by pure luck went in. The rest of the day was extremely uneventful but those three shots were all it took. I was hooked, maybe at first it was the thought of not wanting to embarrass myself ever again. But it’s more so learning how the swing works, the body moves and the ball moves to improve every time out. Since that day I have played 10 rounds. Started in August and shot a 130, more so closer to 140. The nice group I played with let me hit a second iron or tee shot if the ball didn’t go more than 10 yards, LOL. The last time I played was the first week in January, I shot a 98 and lost a single ball that I swear went down the middle of the fairway, but it was a huge confidence booster. I have been doing most of my learning from watching youtube video’s and reading and watching swing threads on this site. Once I can get outside and record some practice I will post and start a swing thread to listen to what everyone has to say. I’m looking forward to the information and some good banter back and forth.

Welcome to TST!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Bill7707 said:

Hi All – I am excited to be part of the community. I have been following along for a couple months and now that I can see an end coming to winter here in the Northeast I thought it would be a good time to join.

About me: 34 years old, married 2 young boys, work in IT.

My short back story: I played baseball and softball up until shoulder surgery 4 years ago. Now anything that requires overhand movement outside of casting a fishing line (which I do often in the spring) hurts. I guess last year the wife had enough of me being home all weekend all the time. She told me I should find a hobby. Truth is I couldn’t find something to fill that competitive void. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy coaching and watching my kids in their sport(s) but still it’s not the same. I’m sure all of you to some degree can relate? Fast forward to July last year and I was invited to a work related golf scramble. So I borrowed a set of clubs and off I went just looking to enjoy my time. I lost maybe 15 balls, didn’t really make divots or even chunks, I would call them more holes. By the 5th hole I was all but done and then it happened. I hit a shot out of the sand and it rolled to about 6 inches. The very next hole I hit a perfectly straight drive (irony is that went into the water) and then ended that hole with about a 30 foot putt that by pure luck went in. The rest of the day was extremely uneventful but those three shots were all it took. I was hooked, maybe at first it was the thought of not wanting to embarrass myself ever again. But it’s more so learning how the swing works, the body moves and the ball moves to improve every time out. Since that day I have played 10 rounds. Started in August and shot a 130, more so closer to 140. The nice group I played with let me hit a second iron or tee shot if the ball didn’t go more than 10 yards, LOL. The last time I played was the first week in January, I shot a 98 and lost a single ball that I swear went down the middle of the fairway, but it was a huge confidence booster. I have been doing most of my learning from watching youtube video’s and reading and watching swing threads on this site. Once I can get outside and record some practice I will post and start a swing thread to listen to what everyone has to say. I’m looking forward to the information and some good banter back and forth.

Welcome to The Sand Trap. This is a great place to learn. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!