IGNORED

Apple v. FBI

iacas
Note: This thread is 2919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, inthehole said:

OK, this is getting a bit condescending, but I'll reply by saying from what I understand, the preferred method of communication among terrorists is currently social media which is more often taking place on cell phones.   That is where this discussion should be focused, not illogical suppositions about gross government intrusions.

I don't think it's condescending. I am a bit incredulous as to what strikes me as a pretty foolish position on this subject. Terrorists are not just going to say "Oh, they've cracked us. We have no other possible means of communicating. We should just give up." They'll simply find another way.

I can go out right now and encrypt a file securely enough that only you or I could ever decrypt it ("ever" being "within a few years"). So who cares if they're doing this in the open.

And you don't need to crack the encryption on a cell phone to communicate and send encrypted files. Besides, the type of encryption we're talking about is not even "social media" but rather the actual files on the phone. For that, you need to have physical possession of the phone and it has to be in somewhat working order. The odds of recovering a terrorist's cell phone AND hoping that they didn't find some other form of encryption (there are hundreds available, and they could make their own keys, etc.), are slim to none, yet you want to give up my freedoms and privacy and protections for that?

I don't know that you really understand the technology or how it's used in this. You seem to be willing to give up a lot just to "stop terrorism" but give no weight to the idea that this is likely never going to do a thing to stop terrorism. Heck, if phones are forced to have a back door, it could actually AID terrorism because, let's say ISIS kidnaps a U.S. government official and is able to get to sensitive data on his phone. Oops. :-P

On March 9, 2016 at 11:23 PM, inthehole said:

I'm late to the party ... Bottom line is that I have NOTHING that I consider private enough that I wouldn't give permission to the govt to see if it could be applied to subvert terrorism.   I'm not a terrorist so I have nothing to hide.      I consider terrorism that much of a threat, that I'm willing to lose some personal privacy.   I support the FBI and apples thumbing its nose will likely affect my decision to buy their products in the future 

By weakening encryption on cell phones you aren't just giving the government (which you clearly trust despite a long history of the government continuing to encroach on privacy), you're weakening the encryption for everyone else who might have a very keen interest in things like your medical history, your bank accounts, your passwords, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

https://thesandtrap.com/search/?type=all&q=Apple+FBI

the FBI will argue that it doesn't know enough about the mysterious third-party hack to even launch an internal discussion about whether it should clue Apple in to the details.

response from Apple, 

"We're confident that the vulnerability the government alleges to have found will have a short shelf life," said a senior Apple executive.

Let the great security war begin :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

https://thesandtrap.com/search/?type=all&q=Apple+FBI

response from Apple, 

Let the great security war begin :-D

And it was just reported their revenues are down by 13%.  They're reaching.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

2 minutes ago, Gunther said:

And it was just reported their revenues are down by 13%.  They're reaching.

That isn't because of the FBI. That's because the smartphone market is saturated with devices that are very close in performance. People are constantly switching between phones. Samsung has done a big push over the past few years to really try to cut into Apple's market share in the US. I would say that the FBI has played zero part in the revenue decline. It doesn't help that China's economy is slowing down. US & China are Apple's largest markets for their Iphones.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

That isn't because of the FBI. That's because the smartphone market is saturated with devices that are very close in performance. People are constantly switching between phones. Samsung has done a big push over the past few years to really try to cut into Apple's market share in the US. I would say that the FBI has played zero part in the revenue decline. It doesn't help that China's economy is slowing down. US & China are Apple's largest markets for their Iphones.

And consumers were waiting for the 5SE.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!