IGNORED

My Swing (CallawayJ)

CallawayJ
Note: This thread is 2832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 90-95
My typical ball flight is: xxxx
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: miss hits and fades

Thank you for any tips or comments

Videos: 

Edited by CallawayJ

Biggest issue I see is the loss of posture on the downswing. Your hips move toward the ball instead of toward your left foot. You should get a face on view video of your swing, I think it will show things a lot more clearly than with the down the line view.

Firefox_Screenshot_2016-02-28T23-25-37.2Firefox_Screenshot_2016-02-28T23-26-14.7

Another thing I noticed is you set your wrists too late. In the photo on the left your arms have gone just about as far as they can go yet the wrists are not set and the clubhead still needs to travel several feet before you can begin the downswing. Things will sync up better on the downswing if you set your wrists gradually over the length of the backswing instead of having to cover all the distance at the very end.

Firefox_Screenshot_2016-02-28T23-26-19.2Firefox_Screenshot_2016-02-28T23-27-33.5

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, CallawayJ said:

Thanks for the advice. Here is a front view video. How do you think I can get my hips to move more towards my front foot?

Watch the green pole behind your head. As you move your backswing to the top, your head and shoulder center moves back, a lot. When you do this, your weight is shifting back and can cause issues on the downswing including not being able to move your hips toward the target. Check out the thread below. I recommend doing mirror work to help with this as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 minutes ago, CallawayJ said:

Thanks for the reply, any advice on how to stop swaying?

Read through link in the post above. The biggest thing you have to do to make a change is start with slow small swings. I usually start without a ball honestly. Set your camera up take a few slow swings and check the video. For me when I was working on this it felt (not that this was actually happening) like I was leaning towards the target or towards my lead foot. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CallawayJ said:

Thanks for the reply, any advice on how to stop swaying?

8 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

Read through link in the post above. The biggest thing you have to do to make a change is start with slow small swings. I usually start without a ball honestly. Set your camera up take a few slow swings and check the video. For me when I was working on this it felt (not that this was actually happening) like I was leaning towards the target or towards my lead foot. 

I would add that mirror work helps out a lot as well.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Update**

so I played 18 yesterday and today. Yesterday I didn't change anything in my swing and played well and hit the ball solid all day. So today I figured I'd work more on keeping my head steady and not swaying in the backswing on the range. Then I went on the course and it was a disaster. It felt like I could not find the bottom of my swing all day. I was hitting fat shots AND topping the ball and everything was going right , all while keeping my head down and still through the whole swing. I also have been hitting a nice little draw with  my driver recently and that completely disappeared today and I was fading the ball every shot, I couldn't stop no matter what I did. Even my chips were chunky. What could be going wrong? You would think keeping my head still would help me make better contact

Good swing a bit to vertical needs to be slightly flatter with a bit more leg action into the ball. When I say flatter I mean a hair anytime you get to up and down your path becomes steep and you chop at it causing a high fade which is nice if your trying to do this otherwise it sucks :) Your grip is to strong probably causing you to shut the face or more likely leaving it open. You need a neutral grip and more hand lead at address don't worry about swaying because your new to the game ad it' kinda natural. It goes away as your body get;s better at swinging a golf club so In the mean time focus on returning the club back to impact Like Sergio with a little hand lead and a neutral grip and focus on a slightly less vertical golf swing.

10ae87c1e93ec85863d9fbde17b121d4.jpg

instruction-inar01_sergioswing.jpg

19 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

Good swing a bit to vertical needs to be slightly flatter with a bit more leg action into the ball. When I say flatter I mean a hair anytime you get to up and down your path becomes steep and you chop at it causing a high fade which is nice if your trying to do this otherwise it sucks :) Your grip is to strong probably causing you to shut the face or more likely leaving it open. You need a neutral grip and more hand lead at address don't worry about swaying because your new to the game ad it' kinda natural. It goes away as your body get;s better at swinging a golf club so In the mean time focus on returning the club back to impact Like Sergio with a little hand lead and a neutral grip and focus on a slightly less vertical golf swing.

This is wrong. Plenty of long time golfer's still have a sway that started in their early years. @CallawayJ needs to direct his focus on this fundamental now so that he has a solid foundation to build his swing upon.

4 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

This is wrong. Plenty of long time golfer's still have a sway that started in their early years. @CallawayJ needs to direct his focus on this fundamental now so that he has a solid foundation to build his swing upon.

Perhaps however he will struggle at first vs my advice allowing him to get better right away. He will eventually find his balance and stance and eliminate swaying but in the mean time it will just destroy his game he will try to make a restricted swing without swaying and probably struggle and just quit the game. 

1 hour ago, Mike Boatright said:

Perhaps however he will struggle at first vs my advice allowing him to get better right away. He will eventually find his balance and stance and eliminate swaying but in the mean time it will just destroy his game he will try to make a restricted swing without swaying and probably struggle and just quit the game. 

Are you serious?  Did you just come up with this scenario all by your self?

How about this alternate scenario in an alternate world other than the one you imagine?  He takes your advice and continues to struggle because he is swaying so much, and can never get a consistent low point and thus his wild unrestricted swing prevents him from enjoying his time and then he quits.

• Upvote 1

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

6 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Yes I came up with it myself I have over 20 years of experience and he isn't swaying that much is other problems are more prudent and need to be fixed first then he can move on to more advanced stuff.

4 hours ago, Mike Boatright said:

Fundamentals come first, that is golf 101. Your penchant for giving terrible/incoherent swing advice has been well documented on this forum and I again suggest that you leave it alone.

• Upvote 1

On 3/7/2016 at 1:43 AM, Mike Boatright said:

In the mean time focus on returning the club back to impact Like Sergio with a little hand lead and a neutral grip and focus on a slightly less vertical golf swing.

Ah, yes! Focus on swinging like Sergio. Why didn't I think of that?? Thanks, man, you just turned me into a +cap with that advice. Fantastic!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Instead of criticizing my opinions why don'y you guys offer some help to the guy asking for it.

9 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Fundamentals come first, that is golf 101. Your penchant for giving terrible/incoherent swing advice has been well documented on this forum and I again suggest that you leave it alone.

Oh that's right I forgot this site is run like a dictatorship you have to promote the 3 key system or you get penalized.!

Edited by Mike Boatright

8 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Instead of criticizing my opinions why don'y you guys offer some help to the guy asking for it.

Oh that's right I forgot this site is run like a dictatorship you have to promote the 3 key system or you get penalized.!

No, not going to promote anything.. What I am going to do is call you out (or anyone) when you start giving advice to abandon working Ina fundamental with the excuse that it will lead to the player to quit.. 

He has already been given good advice, now I'm giving him more advice.. By pointing out that your advice is misguided at best.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 2832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!