IGNORED

The advantages of short courses and the 10 best [Matt Ginella]

Note: This thread is 3077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As opposed to the best you can play list, these are a lot more reasonably priced. The list is at the end of the article.

The Big Shorts

To the thought leaders of the game, The Mission seems clear. And, once again, I’ll use a skiing analogy to help explain: Golf needs to continue to bridge the gap between a bunny slope (a traditional driving range) and a double diamond (an 18-hole “championship” course).  Whether that’s Top Golf, and/or some combination of short courses, it doesn’t matter. What matters is a greater appreciation and recognition that golf is hard. So what can we do to make sure anyone and everyone can get down the slopes and want to go right back to the top again?

http://nationalpgaproam.com/the-big-shorts/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The truth of the matter is that you can play any course from the shorter tees at around 6,000 yards if you don't want length to be a factor.  Now, it is the case that, given the topology and the amount of hazards at a course like Spyglass Hill as an example, even at 6,000 yards that round might still be challenging - but if the goal is to have more fun by reducing the yardage on the shots into the greens playing the front tees will help in that regard.

If the concern is for ease of walking or lack of hazards, then one might have a tougher task - not too many cities or resorts are going to want to spend money on a golf course and not have some kind of buzz about their course that might draw in players from outside the area.

But like many things in life, one always has choices and if you look around enough (especially in this era of the Internet) you can usually find what you are looking for.

I think one has only to look at the fact that no less than Jack Nicklaus was, at least for awhile, acting as a spokesman for the "Play it forward" initiative - advocating playing from the more forward tees as a way for less skilled or older players to get more enjoyment out of the game. Of course, it did seem a little ironic to see Jack, who has built his design business on building expensive and demanding courses, as that spokesperson, but one cannot deny his commitment to the game and to certainly understanding that for many less-skilled or aging players moving to the shorter tees will make things more fun and keep interest in the game over time.

• 3 weeks later...

To me, part of the charm of a "short" course is that you aren't shelling out a lot of cash to play.  Paying $50 to over $100 to play a short course is ridiculous.  Countryway was a really nice short course in Tampa that I used to play when I lived there.  I think it was $12 to walk 18, and it had a nice mix of par 3 and 4 holes.  It was tight - it played through a neighborhood of the same name - and you really had to be accurate, since some of the greens were maybe 500 square feet or less.  To me, that is the essence of a short course; a cheap way to get some real golf in without spending over four hours on the course, and without being intimidated if you are new to the game.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier this year my buddy and I played a course in Western PA called Blackhawk, outside Beaver Falls. I hadn't played there in many years, and he had never played it. Watching the RBC tournament, the course reminded me of a shorter version of Harbour Town. If you don't place your drive in the proper spot, you have no chance of getting through the "slot" in the trees to the green.

BTW, they have 36 holes there, and both courses are just a shade over 6,000 yards from the tips! It's delightful!

On April 3, 2016 at 0:15 AM, bwdial said:

To me, part of the charm of a "short" course is that you aren't shelling out a lot of cash to play.  Paying $50 to over $100 to play a short course is ridiculous.  Countryway was a really nice short course in Tampa that I used to play when I lived there.  I think it was $12 to walk 18, and it had a nice mix of par 3 and 4 holes.  It was tight - it played through a neighborhood of the same name - and you really had to be accurate, since some of the greens were maybe 500 square feet or less.  To me, that is the essence of a short course; a cheap way to get some real golf in without spending over four hours on the course, and without being intimidated if you are new to the game.

It's still there. I had a few lessons over there and instructor had me play three holes. I have not played the whole course yet. I like Chi Chi's over off McMullen Booth in Oldsmar area. That's a fun shorter course. 

On 4/20/2016 at 11:09 PM, Gator Hazard said:

It's still there. I had a few lessons over there and instructor had me play three holes. I have not played the whole course yet. I like Chi Chi's over off McMullen Booth in Oldsmar area. That's a fun shorter course. 

Chi Chi's course is awesome, but it barely fits into the "short course" category at par 69.  That's a grown man golf course. :-D

I used to work with a woman here in Atlanta that lived next door to Denis Griffiths up in Braselton.  He designed Chi Chi's course.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Note: This thread is 3077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!