IGNORED

Grips on irons vs woods/driver

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had my iron grips redone to the Golf Pride CP2 wraps with an extra layer of tape and I freaking LOVE them, I love the coil around it, the tackiness without being too much, just everything.

But I only had my 5-PW done (I need to get my wedges done but my wedges are cheap brands and I'm still considering upgrading them anyways).

I just bought a new 3w and it got me thinking about how my 3w, 5w, 4h, and driver are all the standard grips. Nothing like my irons. 

Do people put grips like the the CP2 wrap on the longer (typically graphite shaft) clubs? Or is there a different "realm" of grips that are better for the woods? I've read something online about using "lighter" grips on the longer clubs but I'm not sure of the merit of that statement.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I put the same grips with the same amount of tape on all of my clubs except for the putter. I like the consistency.

Colin P.

29 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I put the same grips with the same amount of tape on all of my clubs except for the putter. I like the consistency.

Agree, same grips on everything is the best way to go.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Since I always re-grip my own clubs I'll experiment with various types of grips. If I try a different grip and don't like it I'll change it after the first use. However I do seem to favor the mid-size grips that feel a bit tacky, especially since I have a slight touch of arthritis in my hands.

Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not I wear a glove. I currently have been wearing a glove, but now I'm thinking about going without one since I haven't noticed any difference without the glove.

Yea I think I'm comfortable going with the same grip on all my clubs. I wasn't going to hesitate putting the CP2 wraps on my wedges but wasn't sure about the woods and driver. I haven't seen a wrap type on those clubs before so I didn't know if that was not good practice, for some reason or something.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stop by tomorrow evening after work and have them redo my driver first then when my new 3w comes in do that one as well. Not sure if I want to get a new 5w and 4h yet so I may hold out on those.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Yes absolutely the grip is like the tail-weight of a sword it's must be weighted correctly and is tough to gauge. I found a Lynx black cat 6 iron old school club at a thrift store it has a stiff and light graphite shaft and a jumbo max grip. For some reason this club is so damn perfect I love it to death! I tested it down at golf galaxy 5800 to 7200 rpm spin high launch and it just feels right goes 176 yard op the mark! Now say a dg s-300 wedge shaft and a cleveland rotex 56 deg. This club might be better with a standard to midsize grip but probably never a jumbo max grip based on the need for chipping and overall weight. A driver can be suited well from a mid size to a junior grip depending on your release preferences and weight liking. The lighter thinner grip is easier to release will make the overall club lighter by actual weight but more importantly feel.

If I had a standard grip on the same lynx 6 it would probably feel way to light and perform poorly it's pretty essential to get it right, Traditionally you get the same grips on all of your clubs,but for me I mix them up based on weight and the club.

I got the 5 clubs done this weekend - driver, 3w, aw, sw, lw. It is an amazing difference in grip quality. I feel much more confident with a light grip on my club now and much better contact points of my hands on the grip. Mine are all standard size grips but with an extra layer of tape. 

My driver is taking the most effort to get used to. It'll take some time. But I'm also making some pretty heavy swing changed on that club too. For some reason I hit it a lot differently than any other club. I pull out of my incline and straighten my body out and in before impact. Didn't notice it until I had video evidence. But the grip does feel nicer :D

I keep all my grips the same.  I use the Golf Pride Jumbo G2.  Love that grip, but I got a drive from someone that had one of the CP2 grips on it.  That is a nice feeling grip.  Softer than the G2.  I may regrip with those the next time around.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Yea, like I've said, I'm absolutely thrilled with them. These grips are more of a night and day difference to me has been greater than say going from walmart clubs to some really good clubs. That's how big of an impact they've had to me. 

The CP2's I like because unlike some tacky grips these aren't showing any measurable amount of wear and tear when pulling them in and out of my bag. Some softer grips I've had in the past started to "break down" quickly from physical wear. I've had these on my mid irons for a few months now and they show zero signs of wear - and I've been playing quite a lot even through winter.

I have a pure grip on my driver, ping grip on my 3 woods, Winn Grip DriTacs on my 4 wood and irons... Love the way the Winn's feel but I rarely notice the difference in the grip in the moment, cept for the pure which feels different than the other two outright.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!