IGNORED

What ball, and why

Note: This thread is 2290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

I found one from about 5 years ago, but like you say - out of date now.  Don't know of anyplace that would have that info now.

I'm kind of a ball free agent right now as the ball I was using hasn't been made in several years.  I'm going to start the year trying the Callaway Superhot 70s because I used a couple at the end of the year last year and thought the ball-flight, spin, and the amount of roll out on wedge shots were all pretty good for my game.  Its probably been a decade since my ball hasn't had a urethane cover, so I'm interested in seeing how the extended trial will go.

Thanks for the reply. Two of the people I occasionally play with use Callaway balls. One uses the Supersoft and the other plays the Superhot 70. They both are very well pleased with each! The Supersoft is about 35 compression but doesn't check up as well as the Superhot 70 does. I was told that the 70 was a 70 compression ball. Can't say that I saw that anywhere though.

30 minutes ago, BogeySwine said:

Thanks for the reply. Two of the people I occasionally play with use Callaway balls. One uses the Supersoft and the other plays the Superhot 70. They both are very well pleased with each! The Supersoft is about 35 compression but doesn't check up as well as the Superhot 70 does. I was told that the 70 was a 70 compression ball. Can't say that I saw that anywhere though.

Yes - the 70 is the compression.  I guess the superhot used to be superhot 55, but they wanted to get a bit further away from the supersoft which is 30-35.

John

3 hours ago, SG11118 said:

Yes - the 70 is the compression.  I guess the superhot used to be superhot 55, but they wanted to get a bit further away from the supersoft which is 30-35.

For years, its been Titleist NXT and Pro V1.  My game at a 15 handicap doesn't need this quality and am planning a switch to TruSoft if I can get some good feedback from folks here.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

I’m a 93mph senior with normally good contact. That ends up with about 225 off the tee( once in a while I catch one a little farther). I found the pro v one of the shortest I have tried. My favorite now is the Wilson Zip or Wilson Duo. Zips are 20 bucks for a two dozen oak at Wally World. They go far and feel soft off the putter(which is important in my putting). Unless you can hit it 10 feet over the pin and spin it back, spin is not really a factor. Too many golfers have name-brand- itus.

Being human, our average golf Swing-Speed changes throughout our lifetime. And because of this, so should our golf equipment. Swing-Speed is the most important factor for golf ball choice.  The Pro Golfers  average Swing-Speed is entirely different than a weekend golfer’s average Swing-Speed. Pro V1 golf balls are made for the consistencies of the Professional Golfers Swing-Speed.  Using equipment specifically designed for Professional Golfers will not immediately improve an amateur golfers game. 

That leaves us weekend golfers with plenty of other custom made golf ball choices designed specifically for our Swing-Speed & game.  As your Swing Speed changes, so should your golf ball, equipment, and game in general. Not the other way around.  -BB

I keep going back and forth on the ball topic. I like the Snell MTB and have recently started using the Callaway Chrome Soft. I think I hit the Chrome soft further but it tends to go a little more crooked. I like the way it spins on the greens though.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2290 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!