IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (April 2016)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

More mapping in a mirror and half swings. Back swing transition drills with half swings, so my transition point is at A2 which is A6? I guess?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, MiddleTees said:

Today I practiced a routine I call first hole routine in barn hitting into net. I hit a 5w from tee, 5i or 4h from mat and 9i from mat, all shots done with a PSR. I repeated this routine today 3 times in between gardening chores and a 2 mile walk. 

I'm working on a solid PSR I can take to the course. My PSR now is a modified Steady head and weight forward drill done in slow mo just befor stepping into to make actual shot.

Repeated this routine again today and again 3 times throughout the day.

Under construction, signature and game.

Outdoors again today. Again I put the pro's tall mirror across from my hitting station.

• Dynamic stretch warm-up.
  • Half-swing punches with 6i.
  • Several half swing shots with my Blast Driveway 12.5* driver and my Callaway RazrFit 10.5* driver.
  • A dozen full shots each with the Blast and then the RazrFit. I start off with bad pulls or pull hooks. Yuck! From mirror feedback, I seem to be cupping my left wrist at set-up. No wonder I miss left. Once I adjust to flat left wrist, I get some nice high draws plus some (less bad??:whistle:) pulls.
  • Finish up with a dozen bunker shots. Sand in practice bunker compressed almost like dirt. It it's like this on the course, I'll probably pick bunker shots off the top with a PW.

From the mirror, I appear to have good position at top. But, on some shots I'm still starting with a R-hand pull-down and ensuing adventures.

If I can get ahead of life, I can post my revised motions to the Member Swing forum.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

More mapping in a mirror and half swings. Back swing transition drills with half swings, so my transition point is at A2 which is A6? I guess?

Took out the Titleist driver again, and it was much better this time around. The half swing drills got me centered a bit better on the face. I think it improved my sequencing?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Definitely in a heavy practice mode.  I'm doing 4 or 5 sessions a day - 20-30 minutes each session.  Today started out great - my first 2 sessions were lots of clean strikes.  Last 3 sessions were filled with shanks.  The change I'm making is pretty big.  I was hitting the ball ok but with a wicked compensation - so I threw it out and started all over.  Before I could shoot in the high 80's . .at the moment I can't find the ball with the club half the time.  The other half of the time, though, is what keeps me going. 

I set up a lesson for next week to make sure I'm on the right track with all these changes.  I had gotten very complacent about practicing with video - no more.  I'm spending almost as much time watching my swings as making them right now.  Checking to see what different ideas or drills are actually doing, etc.  Watching the shanks as well as the decent swings.  Making sure that as I try to correct my shoulder plane, for example, I'm not just throwing something else out of whack. 

I'd say my swing speed is rocking about 10mph right now.  But I'm getting surprisingly good distance out of my well-struck shots . .not that I know, exactly, but I'm very familiar with my net and how balls hit it and spin in it, etc. 

Played 9 on Saturday and 18 yesterday. Full swing is coming along. Need to work on the pitch technique some more. It was sketchy at best. Putting was great. Dead-on-balls accurate for both speed and bead. I didn't practice putting at all during the winter.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Worked on short pitches for 15 minutes at the practice green.  Still getting the pachinko bounces even though the aeration plugs were taken out two weeks ago.   

Had an awesome first session a few hours ago.  I am definitely doing better in my am sessions - I've been shanking way more in the afternoon and evening sessions. 

I hit about 10 pitching wedges and 20 eight irons.  Just super smooth, left shoulder to right instep in the backswing, then weight to the left, then right shoulder goes down. 

My leg/hip action was great - no whipping or thrusting.  At the end I tried hitting 3 balls with some force - nope, nope and nope.

An interesting thing is I found myself up on the balls of my feet in my follow through which was totally a new sensation.  I have always heard that good junior players will actually jump in their swing and I could never, for the life of me, understand why or how.  Today, though, I saw how it could happen.  Not that I'm gonna be jumping around, lol. 

22 hours ago, Lihu said:

More of the same thing early this morning. The half swings seem to help to "remind" me to take a fuller hip turn with my normal swing. This in turn seems to straighten out my shots. More distance and straighter shots = less blowup holes, I hope. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This am I did not do any video but I did this afternoon - same deal.  30 or 40 easy swings. 

This is me at impact on 4/6. 

FlippyFlip.PNG

This is me at impact just now:  This is a 3/4 swing.  My swing is super slow right now.  Have a ways to go but super happy with the (hard fought) progress.

LessFlippy.PNG

Obviously the re-arrange of my garage practice area is not going so well. 

It's halfway through the month but I'm going to hop on this idea.

Today I practiced takeaway and grip. My grip has been a little on the weak side which has caused me to overcompensate on impact. Played around with a 9 iron today and worked on getting comfortable with with the feel again.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Opening day of the spring First Tee sessions, with the kids learning how to putt. So, I had to limit myself to the southeast quadrant of the practice green.

Worked mainly on 3, 5 and 10-foot putts. I lined up each putt, and made sure I got into proper address position on each one. I had several four-ball sets where I sank three balls. I'm getting better contact lately, and controlling distance with length of backswing.

I finished up with some lag putts at the target lag rings the instructors had put out for the kids. From 25 feet away, I was getting most to the bottom edge of the 2-foot rings. It would be better if they rolled a little past.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Rainy and wet out this morning.  Inside putting for 5 minutes, and 5 minutes stretching and back exercises.  

Why is it so much easier to putt indoors than on a real green?  Inside on a carpet I can make 20 four footers in a row, no problem.  But can hardly ever do that on the outdoor practice greeneven when I cherry pick a slight uphill hole with a straight-on putt.  Go figure.  :shrug: 

Today is the first day I started to try and put leg action back into my swing.  I've been working for a few weeks to really quiet my legs so I've gotten to the point where they are almost doing nothing now. 

I hit about 20 six irons - alternating between "no legs" and "correct legs".  I elected not to video this session because I just wanted to focus on the feel but I felt some definitely progress.  I'd say 2-3 shots were very well struck. 

I'm still only swinging just hard enough to make it work . .ie . .no effort. 

10 minutes mirror work before my workout. Same focus.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Hit too many pull/fades yesterday. Doing mirror work to figure out why I was coming over the top again. thbbft.jpg

Working on the transition and the back swing. Doing some drill for the back swing to prevent overturning and other crap.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!