IGNORED

Putter Grip... What should i do

akammerer
Note: This thread is 2890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys my ball striking has been pretty good lately but my putting has been lacking. I feel my putts aren't going straight,have good speed, or have control over them. I use a single overlapping grip and I was using that for everything do you think I should maybe switch it up and do a baseball grip? Or a left hand low grip to maybe get more control? Thanks

My guess is that if your putting is as bad as you say, with both line and speed being unreliable, a simple grip change is unlikely to help much.  A putter fitting might help, so that the putter sits flat on the ground, and is aimed where you think its aimed.  Many players here swear by the Edel putter fitting.  Seeing an instructor may help you diagnose something simple that you're doing wrong.  It may be a simple matter of good focused practice, but you usually need to know WHAT to practice before that works.

Here's a good thread, guidelines as to what makes a good putter:

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My putting has never been anything to write home about.  The pro shop where I play got a Putting Stick a couple months back.  It has a mirror that shows you how far inside or outside of the ball your eyes are aligned.  I found out that I normally line up with my eyes an inch or so outside the ball (bad).  So I've been working a few minutes or so several times per week to get comfortable aligning my eyes over the ball, or slightly inside.  

I also had my putter retooled to better accommodate my height, 6'3".  Just got it back yesterday.  I had it bent upright a couple of degrees.  Also had it regripped with an oversized Winn grip, and a 2" plug to make it a bit longer.  I'm hoping these changes, and better alignment over the ball, will help my putting out.  Time will tell.   

I just switched this season to a cross handed grip (right hand low for me). I found that it really helps keep the ball on line for me and allows me to level my shoulders at address. My biggest problem with putting was that I would drop my back shoulder (similar to a longer iron shot) and end pushing or pulling a lot of putts from the getgo.

Crosshand is weird to get used to at first, but I have been just heading to the practice green for an hour or so every other day to get the grip locked down into muscle memory. Tiger once say that if he had to learn golf all over again, he would putt crosshanded.

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used single reverse overlap for my shorter putts  For longer putts I tend to feel more confident arching my right wrist and double interlocking 

I don't think really matter as long as you feel comfortable and confident 

Note: This thread is 2890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!