IGNORED

Who are we rooting for in Q-School?

Shindig
Note: This thread is 5637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Miguel Angel Carballo - my kid likes hime so thats good enough for me

I was following Miguel Angel Carballo as well, and the leaderboard site shows him going +4 in his final three holes to finish what looks like will be 1 shot away from a PGA TOUR card. Ouch.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

Yeah Duffy! He made the move today he needed. Let's see some more tomorrow!

Looks like he's going to pull it off. Six under through 16 today, which is good (right now) for -16 total and a T14. Good for him.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

Can't keep those Gateway Tour players down!

Tommy Gainey played on the Gateway Tour?

In 2007 he played Hooters Tour, Tarheel Tour, Nationwide Tour (3 events) & PGA Tour (1 event). I wasn't able to confirm he played on the Gateway Tour.

I was also pulling for Tommy Gainey. He seemed like a down to earth guy on the Big Break shows. He ballooned a bit today, but still earned his card!

I hope he comes out to San Antonio next fall - I'll follow him around for a bit!

Here is a good break down by Jason Sobel from ESPN for the players who have earned thier card:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/colum...son&id;=3139907

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Looks like he's going to pull it off. Six under through 16 today, which is good (right now) for -16 total and a T14. Good for him.

Yeap, he made it! Way to go. After being like 109th after the first few days. To shoot back to back bogey free rounds of 7 then 6 under. Awesome stuff!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I watched it a bit... man did it ever look brutal. Absolutely nobody having fun. Such a departure from how I view golf... If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it.

Glad to see Tommy Gainey get his card.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Tommy Gainey played on the Gateway Tour?

I wasn't able to confirm he beat the pants off of Country Club of South Carolina members at age 16 either.

He's been a serious player way before the days of Googling. If he missed the cut on a few Gateway tour events and isn't in the archives, so be it. Dunno. Go Gainey, go!

• 11 months later...
For 2008 there are a few familiar names.

First off David Berganio Jr who plays at my club pretty often did quite well in Second Stage at Hombre GC shot 64 on the last day to really jump up the leaderboard to a tie for 19th. 20 spots get in. YAY!

James Oh who plays on the same mini tour I do, along with Jeff Hart, Lucas Lee (out of UCLA) and Boyd Summerhays. The Golden State Tour. Unfortunately Lucas, who also played at Hombre, finished down the leaderboard in 58th. Jeff, James and Boyd started today at Oak Valley in CA. Each finishing at 2 under for the day. Oak Valley leaderboard I actually got to play an event with Jeff. He's the leading money winner for the GS Tour. Just a ultra nice guy, mid-40s, family man. Doesn't kill the ball, but puts it down the middle, hits greens, and made a ton of putts the day we played together. Just really solid.

I played Oak Valley last Thrusday and Friday and met a guy that was staying at the same motel, Jonathan Lomas. Dude came all the way from Scotland. I'd like to see him do well. He shot 1 over today though...

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

As a Scot, I am quite happy to see Andrew Coltart, Chris Doak, Davie Dyrsdale & Callum Macaulay to join the European Tour this season.

Our game has been in the doldrums a bit recently but with the World Cup win last year and our amateur team won a similar event in Australia last month, I've not seen Macaulay but heard impressive things about him.
Just hope the Scottish Golf press don't put too much pressure on him in his debut season.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW, anyone notice the name in the lead of Final Stage after day 2 at 12 under? James Nitties of Big Break Mesquite fame! Totally awesome. I had the opportunity to play in the same group in a tournament with him last year. Just like on the show, just a super good guy. Its cool to see him doing well.

James Oh and David Berganio Jr. (whom I've been watching throughout QSchool) are also doing well. We gotta pull harder for Jeff Hart. Now I see Mark Brooks up near the top too. Always liked that guy.

Leaderboard here...

http://www.pgatour.com/qschool/leaderboard/#

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Looks as if this thread was originally about Q-School '07 and has morphed into a thread about Q-School '08.

Well - I'm pulling for Tommy Two Gloves and, oh by the way - he shot 65 today (12/5/08) in the 3rd round and is currently T20 with lots and lots of guys still on the course and lots and lots of holes and lots and lots of drama to go as well.

This is, of course, the Final Stage of Q-School and is a 108 hole tournament!

James Nitties of BB-Mesquite fame you say? I'm going to have to head back to the G.C. website to see what he looks like; I just can't seem to place him from my memory (or lack thereof) banks.

Looks as if this thread was originally about Q-School '07 and has morphed into a thread about Q-School '08.

Gainey put himself right back in it, T25 when I checked about a half hour ago. He conquered the par 3 #8 with a birdie, on his next to last hole today. That single hole had threatened to derail him, with consecutive double bogey 5s on Wednesday and Thursday.

Tommy was on Golf Channel a few days ago and credited Don Donatello for his improvement and confidence of late, something about being a great caddy although I forget the exact quote. They showed a brief glimpse of Donatello on Tommy's bag. I'd prefer the PGA Q School finals on a more challenging venue, where par is more of a premium. I saw some guys today who had dropped 60 or 70 spots or more when they were +2 for the day.

I'd prefer the PGA Q School finals on a more challenging venue, where par is more of a premium. I saw some guys today who had dropped 60 or 70 spots or more when they were +2 for the day.

Odd thing is, the Stadium Course really is that type of venue. I'm really quite shocked at the numbers these guys are putting up there. That place is straight up hard! Out of the 12 or so times I've played there, I've only managed to break 80 twice. 75 is my lowest.

Another BB Mesquite dude is up there too. Matt Every.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Kind of cool to see the mix of young and older players battling for a few spots on tour. Imagine Mark Brooks, Harrison Frazar (not so old), and Willie Wood (and others) having to go through the rigor of Q'ing again. When you personally know these guys and how well they play, it makes it seem surreal. Anyone on tour is a super player these days.

RC

Note: This thread is 5637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!