IGNORED

Provisional ball and water hazard

Pardner
Note: This thread is 2878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, you hit your shot and suspect its going to be lost. Anounce and hit provisional ball.  You get to the area where the original ball went and discover its a lateral water hazard. At this point, you can abandon the provisional and play normal lateral hazard rules with the original ball?  I ask this because if it really is lost (not a lateral hazard) and the ball is found you cannot play the provisional ball.  I realize for the found ball case you can use the unplayable ball rule but you cant use the provisional ball. 

I know that provisional balls are for out of bounds and lost balls, but when you play courses that your not familiar with its sometimes the case that you get to the place where you think the ball is and red stakes pop up.

Bruce

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your provisional ball is the ball in play...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

No.  If the provisional ball was played thinking that the original ball might be lost outside of a water hazard, then it was played correctly under the rules.  If it becomes virtually certain that the ball is in the water hazard (there is no place in the area outside of the water hazard where the ball could be lost), then the provisional ball is abandoned and the player proceeds by dropping under Rule 26-1, either by recovering the original ball or by substituting another ball.  

If it is not certain that the ball is in the hazard (meaning that there is a condition outside of the hazard where the ball could be lost), then the provisional ball becomes the ball in play under Rule 27.  You cannot assume that the ball is in the hazard without clear evidence of that fact.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Thanks Fourputt, I thought that's how it worked but was just not sure.  Is there a specific rule that address's this situation.  Ahhh, the google is my friend ... should have done some due diligence before posting, well maybe this will help someone else ... here's what I was looking for:

Exception: If it is known or virtually certain that the original ball, that has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (Rule 18-1), is in an obstruction (Rule 24-3), is in an abnormal ground condition (Rule 25-1) or is in a water hazard (Rule 26-1), the player may proceed under the applicable Rule.

Bruce

14 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

That is not correct. @Fourputt has posted the correct answer.

Note: This thread is 2878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!