IGNORED

A thought that helped me straighten out my shots

Note: This thread is 2845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, 

I've been working on my swing mechanics on the range.  Recently I've been mostly focused on improving my impact position (posting up, weight shift to left, keeping right heel down, shoulders level, left hand release, lag etc.) I used to break down my right leg, push through, stand up in my stance etc. Bad habits.

I felt like I was making better contact but everything was going left.  Not a hook but just aimed left.  

After a bit of reflection I realized I was basically pulling off of the ball through impact with my hips AND my head which I think was pulling my hands through in that direction as well.   

The head movement was key and it's something I've had as a bad habit. When I look back at all of my swing videos, you can see my eyes following the club down range (head rotating to the left) through impact instead of well after impact. 

Anyway, I decided on one key thought which was, keep your eyes parallel to the target line and don't move your eyes until after the ball is struck.  

Keeping my eyes parallel made it so much easier to bring my hands through on plane.  Since I was already making good contact, I found that this really straightened out my shots and I hit nearly 10 solid mid irons in a row on the range.  Hoping to solidify this habit in the coming sessions. 

Alignment really is everything. Anyone else had a similar experience or offer any refinements to my thoughts?

Cheers! 

• Administrator

Do you have a Member Swing thread? Often feel isn't real, and what you'll find about these little things is that what works one day may not "work" the next…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are you describing a bit of what some call 'old man finish' where your whole upper body turns a bit toward the target with the head moving a bit laterally with a high right shoulder?

Kevin

On 7/6/2016 at 5:55 AM, TomM1026 said:

Hey all, 

I've been working on my swing mechanics on the range.  Recently I've been mostly focused on improving my impact position (posting up, weight shift to left, keeping right heel down, shoulders level, left hand release, lag etc.) I used to break down my right leg, push through, stand up in my stance etc. Bad habits.

I felt like I was making better contact but everything was going left.  Not a hook but just aimed left.  

After a bit of reflection I realized I was basically pulling off of the ball through impact with my hips AND my head which I think was pulling my hands through in that direction as well.   

The head movement was key and it's something I've had as a bad habit. When I look back at all of my swing videos, you can see my eyes following the club down range (head rotating to the left) through impact instead of well after impact. 

Anyway, I decided on one key thought which was, keep your eyes parallel to the target line and don't move your eyes until after the ball is struck.  

Keeping my eyes parallel made it so much easier to bring my hands through on plane.  Since I was already making good contact, I found that this really straightened out my shots and I hit nearly 10 solid mid irons in a row on the range.  Hoping to solidify this habit in the coming sessions. 

Alignment really is everything. Anyone else had a similar experience or offer any refinements to my thoughts?

Cheers! 

My instructor has told me to watch the club hit the back of the ball because I start to move to soon.  It's amazing how you can't seem to control something that lasts a few milliseconds.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

Are you describing a bit of what some call 'old man finish' where your whole upper body turns a bit toward the target with the head moving a bit laterally with a high right shoulder?

Yea that's basically it.  Now I'm trying to keep my eyes on the ball and keep my upper body aiming down the target line at impact.  It works when I don't cast my release early and come in too steep or when my hips and and upper body spin out early.  I also have to work hard to keep my right foot on the ground until after I've hit the ball. 

I sometimes do that putting and pull the ball slightly. Likely a bit of carry-over from my full swing.

I try to counter only following the ball flight by trying to look from 'underneath' with the trail eye until my finish pulls my head up into a more typical viewing position.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Right foot doesn't have to stay planted until after you hit the ball.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!