IGNORED

Anna Nordqvist Grounds Club in Bunker, Loses U.S. Women's Open

Aflighter
Note: This thread is 2843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

In soccer, there is a rule, literally called "advantage", that gives discretion to the referee to not call an obvious foul depending on the circumstances.

Dammit. I knew writing that that soccer was going to screw me. (I follow soccer to about the same extent as I follow women's cricket).

;-)

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

That's not true in the NFL, many holds and blocks to the back aren't called if the referees either don't see them or believe they impacted the play.  Referees in all sports have discretion on what penalties they call and don't call.   

Not according to the rules. And I can't count how many kickoff return touchdowns I've seen called back because of a penalty far from the ball.

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Watch an NHL or NBA game, penalty calling varies greatly from referee to referee and game to game.  A huge complaint with the NBA finals was that in the final three games of the series the officiating policy heavily benefited Cleveland.  

Again, that's not the same thing. The rules are still the same and don't allow for discretion...the officials just make different judgement calls.

But, my entire point was kind of invalidated by #stupidsoccer, so I'll go crawl back into my hole... :-)

• Upvote 3

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Dammit. I knew writing that that soccer was going to screw me. (I follow soccer to about the same extent as I follow women's cricket).

;-)

Just you wait (just youuuu waiiiiiiit ;-)) ... this weekend I'm supposed to take a soccer referee training course so I might learn a whole bunch of "exciting" stuff to share next week. :beer:

• Administrator

There's a good thread here if you wish to discuss what might be true in the future:

If you wanna discuss the use of HD video for these kinds of things, that's a good topic for it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!