IGNORED

My Swing (Jzander1988)

Jzander1988
Note: This thread is 2811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First and foremost, sorry for my first post that was a mess up.

Hi sand trap members, I'm here for some serious help I am struggling so bad with my game right now.

my irons this year are traveling 20 yards shorter then they were last year and my driver is about 50 yards shorter.

im really struggling with transferring my weight and I'm popping every ball up to the right.

any help would be greatly appreciated

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 24
My typical ball flight is: high
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pop up fadest6J6DehHdPIt6J6DehHdPI

Videos: 

Edited by Jzander1988

Full disclaimer -- I don't do golf instruction for a living but hopefully I can offer some advice.

You have a very long swing. The longer your swing, the more rotational speed you need (and by extension clubhead speed) to be able to properly connect the club to the ball at impact. You don't need a long swing to hit it far.

You should also add some secondary axis tilt (spine tilt away from the target) in your setup. It's important to maintain the tilt throughout backswing into impact. You can see at impact that your body is trying to get you into tilt. The more you start tilting toward the target the steeper you are going to get, which leaves your only option to flip your hands at it. So give yourself some tilt at impact, and don't let your arms and hands overrun your turn (much easier said than done) 

Hope some of this helps. Let us know how you do. 

Andrew M.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Jzander1988 said:

Amoline, thanks a lot. Now am I understanding to tilt spine during set up so pretty much my left shoulder is higher then my right?

That's what the result will be, but that's not how to attain it necessarily. A small bump forward of your hips will do it. It will feel like you are way behind the ball but that's normal. Just make sure you aren't dumping your shoulders out of alignment. bubbaspinetilt.jpg

Photo of Bubba that I just have because he's a great example of spine tilt -- (flipped him right handed). Ignore the ball position of course. As you can see, his trail shoulder is lower than the lead shoulder because of the position your arms take on the club (your trail arm rests lower on the grip). Bubba is a lanky guy but even for him his hip is the part of his body that is most targetward (excluding his foot in the stance) 

• Upvote 1

Andrew M.

Thanks, perfect example. I believe I really tried working on this last year and had great results. It must have just fell out of my memory since every player as something technical to my swing and I am trying to ignore their tips and find my original swing again. I'm 6'5" so fixing my long swing might take a lot of work, I'm just use to it but am very disappointed in it at the moment. I'll send new videos with the tilt. I notice from my videos I also have my hands behind the ball on impact every swing. Also a major focus of mine

We always fight the same things. As a side note, height doesn't necessarily mean a long swing -- I think it's more your arms out traveling your turn instead of "length" of your swing. See how you do with the tilt first though

Andrew M.

@Jzander1988,

I agree with @amoline that your swing is a bit long. Check out the two threads below. You backswing is centered until the very top. A bit shorter backswing will help this.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks a lot guys, played a round today at one of the tougher courses in my area. Was hitting my irons ridiculously clean today with minor blunders. After the front 9 I had a disappointing 46, although on the back I came through with a solid 40 with a few three outs on 3 holes. My only problem today was getting off the tee box with my driver and a few duffed 5 woods since I don't carry a three wood but I was very happy with my strikes in a whole. All I focused on was bumping my hip to the left and letting the club do the rest. I also hit my 7 iron 165 today into the wind and I consider it my best iron this year. More updates to come!

• Administrator

I admittedly am catching up on the forum a bit, but your grip is among the weakest I've seen in a LONG time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Jzander1988 said:

Really?

It's probably because I hold the very end of the club

Yeah it's very weak. Get the grip more in the fingers, heel pad on top, like the grip thread illustrates.

ben-hogan-left-hand-grip.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Okay this will be my next big step, could this be why on my driver and woods I feel the club almost rotate in my hands and it feels like my swing is doomed from the get go? Thanks again everyone

Very well could be. Your grip is your only connection to the club. If something is off, it can cause a host of problems. 

Andrew M.

9 hours ago, Jzander1988 said:

Okay this will be my next big step, could this be why on my driver and woods I feel the club almost rotate in my hands and it feels like my swing is doomed from the get go? Thanks again everyone

Yeah when it's in the palm of the lead hand you're not going to have much stability with your grip.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 2811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!