IGNORED

Graphite irons

Note: This thread is 2808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've just switched to graphite irons due to an injury,  I'm 35 years old and was a 4 handicap with an average 108mph speed who has played since I was old enough to swing a Wonderwand.  I'm now around 90mph.  Is playing graphite becoming more accepted as I feel that I've just given up on life Haha. I had six months where I couldn't walk and had to reapply for a new handicap and have 7 blows now.  Can you be a considered serious golfer playing with graphite God sticks? 

Don't worry about the makeup of your sticks...regarding being considered a "serious golfer," let the scorecard speak for itself. The scorecard doesn't care if you played graphite shafts, a 3 on the card is a 3 on the card.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Steviestuboy said:

I've just switched to graphite irons due to an injury,  I'm 35 years old and was a 4 handicap with an average 108mph speed who has played since I was old enough to swing a Wonderwand.  I'm now around 90mph.  Is playing graphite becoming more accepted as I feel that I've just given up on life Haha. I had six months where I couldn't walk and had to reapply for a new handicap and have 7 blows now.  Can you be a considered serious golfer playing with graphite God sticks? 

I haven't been playing long. When I started I bought a used set of cheap Dunlop clubs with graphite shafts. I then bought a set of Benross irons with steel shafts, and didn't get on with them. I now own some Ping irons with steel shafts. The Ping irons are far superior, but when struck well the Dunlops carried the ball further. If I had the money to buy a new set of irons, they would definitely be graphite shafts

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Never been a 4 hcp but Im 33 and just wanted to try graphite as I had it in my longer clubs. Bought a used set of graphite irons, and miss them every day. Cured my golfers elbow, felt better on contact and launched the ball higher. Sadly I didnt get along with the heads long as they were shovels. Had to return to steel. Dont care what people think, and play the gear that helps your game. Life is far too short to do otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Graphite shafts are in everyone's bag. Even some of the pros have them in their irons. But wedges are another story as most have steel shafts. Graphite shafts reduce vibration on your shots, in most cases hit the ball higher and for some further. We all have graphite in our drivers and fairway woods so why not the rest of the clubs. There used to be a stigma with graphite that they caused less control because they were so whippy, but that is not really the case today. The other problem may be less weight and it can throw off your timing. But I follow the old adage, if it works don't change it. 

• Upvote 1

What graphite shafts are you using?

On 7/16/2016 at 4:34 AM, Steviestuboy said:

Can you be a considered serious golfer playing with graphite God sticks? 

Probably.  Do you consider Matt Kuchar and Brandt Snedeker to be serious golfers?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

It's nike  vapour irons with the fubuki regular.   They look like a pimps iron Haha.  Do they not use steel fibre?  Never tried them just needed light n soft that let you swing easy and don't give much feedback.   I suppose they are what I need now and will let me enjoy playing pain free to an extent.   The only bad thing apart from the looks which may grow on me is that even hitting a punch shot they fire off the face high.   Thanks for the replies. 

I'm also considering changing to graphite. Going to try them out for a while in August. My non-golfing handicap that I have since a year is more serious (see my picture) than my golfing handicap has ever been. If graphite is the way forward, nothing wrong with that!

I'm no single-digit hdcp, but have been playing graphite shafts for at least 25 years.  I like the softer feel of them on my regular 'mis-hits.'

I don't know enough to determine why nobody would consider a driver / fairway wood or hybrid with a steel shaft, but a 'mans-man' is supposed to play steel shafted irons.  I'm sure there is a reason, but all my clubs, except the 2 Titleist Vokey wedges, have graphite shafts.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

32 minutes ago, dave s said:

...a 'mans-man' is supposed to play steel shafted irons.

It is funny how there are perceptions.  In the bike world there is a contingent that adheres to the "steel is real" mantra.  Unfortunately the real pros have long since moved to carbon fiber.  And you don't see too many wooden sticks out on the ice anymore... at any level.  My old Jack Kramer racquet will never see the court except for an occasional trip down memory lane.

While I agree that, for the time being, the pros will still use steel, it will one day be eclipsed by composites.  It is only a matter of time before composite shafts dominate sport.  The material has found its way into nearly every other sport at a highest level, I see no reason why the chemists won't find that perfect mix for the pros.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

If you find you really like graphite but seem to be overpowering what you have, look at other graphite models.

Consider the Mamiya Recoil carbon fiber 95/110 model (weight in grams), or the Project X graphite iron shafts.

The shaftmeisters have done a lot with graphite iron shafts the last couple of years. At first they felt really feathery, but recently seem to have much better balance.

I tried the Recoils in the Callaway Apex and Tour Edge Exotics irons, and they feel great. (I'm having tennis elbow bouts recently)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!