IGNORED

How Many Sets of Irons Do You Have? What Are They?

Mr.Mongo
Note:Β This thread is 1518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 sets:

1979 Wilson Staff Tour Blades 1-SW(the 1 is actually FG-17)
1992 Titleist DCI Gold pyramid 1-PW

in the bag right now:

Driver Joe Powell DSP1
3W Joe Powell DSP1
Irons Wilson Staff Tour Blades 1-PW
SW Wilson Staff JP custom grind PW
Putter Wilson Geo Lowe original 600
Ball Titleist DT Carry

2 sets I'd like to add:

Scratch Golf or KZG forged blades 1-AW
Callaway X-22 3-AW

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
Two at this time

1. Taylormade Burner XD - which my wife got me for Xmas last year
2. Ping i10

Deflord
Driver:Β Β Tour Burner 10.5

3 Wood - Still Hunting

Hybrid:Β Β Hybrid Mid 3

Irons:Β Β MP-57 3-PW

Wedges:Β Β T-10 SW

Putter - Still Hunting (Looking for a Rife)

Ball - Still Hunting on my preference

Β 

Mizuno MP-14 (2-PW)
Mizuno GRAD MP (2-PW)
MacGregor PCB Tour (3-PW)

In a staff blueΒ Β Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

Β JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

Β MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Β Β Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I have just two:

1) Mizuno MX-23
2) Mizuno MP-52

I just picked up the mp52s, caught an incredible deal when I struck a deal with a guy at Play It Again Sports trying to sell them.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Just 2. The new CI7s in my sig, and a set of Big Bertha knockoffs. I don't think I'll ever own more than maybe 3-4 at the most.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10Β°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5Β°, 20Β°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60Β° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Titleist AP-2
Ping i15

2 sets. Some of you guys must have big garages and very understanding partners. I wouldn't even know what to do with hundreds of clubs.

I have 5:

Titleist 735 CM Project X 5.5
Titleist 695 MB DG S200
Titleist DCI 762 DG S300
Mizuno MP 60 DG S300
Mizuno MP 32 Project X 5.5

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

I have three. But i only want one. I no longer want to blame irons.
But i cannot get my head around what to use?
I have:
callaway x22 tours 4-pw with dynalite gold shafts r300
cobra ss forged 4-pw with dynamic gold r300
taylormade r7 tp's 3-SW with project x 5.0 HL

I bought the callaways last season to move up from fusions as i am down to a 12 or so handicap. I got the ss forged in stiff, could not hit em, harsh and low right, reshafted with r flex shafts and hit them well but the forgiveness is above a blade due to cavity, but still pretty harsh if sweetspot missed.
So now in winter i grabbed some r7 tp's with project x high launch shafts used. I thought swinging indoors in toronto it was heavy and stiff. But when i went to a range outdoors and hit a few frozen rocks i was suprised at forgiveness and high yet carrying flight.
There was definite feedback if you missed the sweetspot but ball still carried decently.

I am confused on which two to sell. If i want to reclaim money i would get rid of callaway as resale price is good. I might do that although callaway customer service on a few occasions with a shaft issue etc they were wonderful. But assuming they are gone.
I read the guy who created this site erik b i believe, talking in his reviews of equip over years, about how his game goes south if he doesnt use a club that gives plenty of feedback.
I wonder if instead of keeping a more forgiving head like the r7 tp's, would i benefit by using a less forgiving club like the ss forged? At least for a forging these cobra's have a suprisingly decent size head and not much offset which due to my draw/hook is good.

Does anyone have a opinion? I cannot post a thread yet, long time reader of thesandtrap but not on forum, so i thought i would share my equip on here plus my question. Stay with more forgving r7 tp's? Or less forgiving cobra ss forged and hope it forces me to swing better and groove things?
Some facts, i am in my forties now, i am a big guy 6'1" 220, dont hit it far, avg to below avg, but scoring decent, a 12 hdcp. Want to long term get better

sharkhark - welcome.

Keep them all. Practice with the least forgiving irons and play the ones you score best with on the course. Go Leafs (straight to . . . lol).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Only one, Ben Hogan Apex (2004). They came 3-E, and I also ordered a 2, which I used off the tee on days when my driver was being a bad boy. I've replaced the long irons with the Hogan hybrids 2-4, but I practice with the 2-iron. If I can hit it, I'm doing a lot of things right. Besides, when I connect, the ball flight is poetry.

sharkhark - welcome.

A guy from home of the senators wishing a leaf fan well? wow...never thought i would see that....just kidding. I never really thought of that re a practice set. If i was doing that then i would sell calaway set, they have the best resale to recoup some money...and keep the r7's and cobra...then see how it goes as i practice with them. Great idea. thank you. Although the ss forged is a fairly coveted set, that doesnt give you the best resale...i wouldnt get much a couple hundred bucks...so why not keep em.

thanks again. cheers.

I have been through approximately 15 sets of irons in the past 14 years. I currently have two sets: Titleist Ap1 710 and TM Burner 09. I mostly buy used clubs in excellent condition and trade them in when I want something different. Love to use Callaway Pre-owned.com and TM pre-owned.com to buy and trade clubs and use TGW.com to buy new clubs because they offer 30% additonal trade-in value..

• 2 weeks later...
Put me down for one more..... Just ordered the irons in my sig. Thats 6 now.....

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

2 sets.

1. Spalding Execs 2
2. Adams Tight lies

Driver: r7 cgb max 10.5ΒΊ
3 Wood: Ovation 2
3H: Pro Gold 20ΒΊ w/Winn PCI
4H: Tight Lies 24ΒΊ
5-PW: Tight LiesPutter: Dual Force 668 w/Winn PistolBall: B330 Bag: Corza

Note:Β This thread is 1518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!