IGNORED

My Swing (smurfsky101)

smurfsky101
Note: This thread is 2803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

^^ @ 9:35 seconds or so for a face on 5 iron shot that went pretty well

^^ @ 6:42 seconds or so for a down the line drive that was very solid (290 or so, straight)

I've been Playing Golf for: 5 years (played 4 years in high school, took a 7 year break, and am getting back into the game now)
My current handicap index or average score is: 18, who the hell really knows
My typical ball flight is: too high
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: high blocks to the right. 

I'm concerned that I'm not creating enough forward shaft lean, as evidenced by unreasonably high ball flight, and somewhat inconsistent ball striking. I have pretty high clubhead speed, 97 mph with the 6 iron , and up to 117 mph on the driver (when i'm trying to kill it). I just went through a fitting and got set up with Mizuno MP-25s on Project X 6.5s. In no way do I think the irons will help me shoot better scores, but I much prefer they way they look at adress, and I have am just a mizuno fan boy. I was also fitted onto a 7.5* 915d on aldila silver (S) flex, but am playing with a taylormade mated to a XS aldila silver. The XS shaft seems to make me pull & draw the ball more, where I am more likely to miss hit with a high fade/ slice on the 915d.

Looking for brutally honest feedback here, I'm trying to determine if I should begin to 'try to just play with the swing I've got' - or put a lot of work into fixing it and start from scratch.

In high school I was able to shoot in the mid 70's sometimes in tournaments, but now i'm anywhere from low 80's to low 100's. I intend to put in a lot of time, as my goal is to break 79 before fall of this year, which should be doable if I practice my short game and play 3/4 swing shots w/ my irons, and avoid driver. (my home course is short)

Videos: 

20160802_144442.jpg

iron_1.jpg

iron_2.jpg

iron_3.jpg

iron_4.jpg

iron_5.jpg

iron_6.jpg

iron_7.jpg

iron_8.jpg

iron_9.jpg

j_iron_11.jpg

j_iron_13.jpg

19 minutes ago, smurfsky101 said:

I'm trying to determine if I should begin to 'try to just play with the swing I've got' - or put a lot of work into fixing it and start from scratch.

First, welcome to TST!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that your options are not so black-and-white. The instructors here are all about helping you identify (and work on) your "priority piece"...improving your swing without ever feeling like you have to "start from scratch".  Poke around on other MySwing threads and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

Also, get engaged, and read / post in other threads...there is a ton of great instructional content available if you look around a bit!

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

First, welcome to TST!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that your options are not so black-and-white. The instructors here are all about helping you identify (and work on) your "priority piece"...improving your swing without ever feeling like you have to "start from scratch".  Poke around on other MySwing threads and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

Also, get engaged, and read / post in other threads...there is a ton of great instructional content available if you look around a bit!

Thanks @Hardspoon! I've been checking out a lot of the content, good stuff here. Hopefully some members might point me to something that sticks out the most here.

I took a lesson this weekend, spent an hour going over chipping and pitching .

• Upvote 1

Welcome @smurfsky101 to TST. I have a couple of suggestions. The first thing is your video. I like the face on pictures, that is good, but a down the line version is tough to watch. The video is kinda far away and need to be edited down to one swing. Here is a great article to read on how to video your swing

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

That out of the way, the first easy thing I see is to flare your feet at address to help with a proper hip turn. Here is a thread to read through to help you fix this issue.

After this you can post a new swing and we can offer some more advice.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

So some good news, no video update yet though.

I've implemented a slightly open left foot angle for (most) of my shots. I've also flattened out my backswing and added a definite pause / squat to the top of my swing, which prevents my over the top mishits.

* Shot my second eagle in a tournament yesterday! (very short par 5, bad drive, to a weak fade / topped 7 iron, then 12 footer downhill)

* Have been able to get drives that consistently carry between 265 and 285  on the range

* shot 38 for 9 holes , 3 times in the last week, and 2 over at a difficult par 3 course in my area. One of those 38's was with 8/9 GIRs, so ball striking was not the issue (putting)

I think I'll be able to get it together with the slightly modified swing and a lot of practice

Note: This thread is 2803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!