IGNORED

Shaft confusion?

Sinbin
Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Spitfisher said:

Enlighten us

in the context of this discussion it most certainly does

This is the important part of your statement.  As far as having the same swing speed and just deciding on shaft, the distance is likely to be within 5-10yds at most by going with more distance versus straighter.  Is that 5-10 yds likely to put you 5-10yds further offline? Not likely at all.  So even in the context of this thread, the distance gained will still put you in better shape.  The other part of this is that this given driver fits the swing.  If you suddenly grabbed a ladies flex, it probably would hurt a bit more.  

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The rest of you know more about than I do, but based on the last three weeks I say sideways sucks.

My driver is apparently buried in some back office of the Kittyhawk pro shop and I'm currently swinging a replacement that is totally unsuited to me. The plus is that the 30% of the time I hit it square, I've got an extra 20 yards or so. The other 70% of the time I'm either behind a tree, in some hay or water or possibly off the property all together.

Right now, I'd hand you back the extra 20 yards I get once in a while and hit some frigging fairways.

16 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The rest of you know more about than I do, but based on the last three weeks I say sideways sucks.

My driver is apparently buried in some back office of the Kittyhawk pro shop and I'm currently swinging a replacement that is totally unsuited to me. The plus is that the 30% of the time I hit it square, I've got an extra 20 yards or so. The other 70% of the time I'm either behind a tree, in some hay or water or possibly off the property all together.

Right now, I'd hand you back the extra 20 yards I get once in a while and hit some frigging fairways.

Why is it unsuited for you?  Is the loft wrong, the shaft stiffness?  

Joe Paradiso

Just now, newtogolf said:

Why is it unsuited for you?  Is the loft wrong, the shaft stiffness?  

All of it.

It's a 9.5 and I use a 10.5. Shaft is stiff and I use a regular. The replacement previously belonged to a big dude and the grip is oversized. I think it's also a longer shaft that I had on my driver.

Basically, its narrowed my margin of error to a bat of an eyelash.

6 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

All of it.

It's a 9.5 and I use a 10.5. Shaft is stiff and I use a regular. The replacement previously belonged to a big dude and the grip is oversized. I think it's also a longer shaft that I had on my driver.

Basically, its narrowed my margin of error to a bat of an eyelash.

Makes sense that you'd see such different results given it's so much different than your other driver.  I would guess the biggest cause of your problem is the over sized grip.  

Joe Paradiso

4 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Makes sense that you'd see such different results given it's so much different than your other driver.  I would guess the biggest cause of your problem is the over sized grip.  

I'm sure its a big part of it. Get just the slightest bit twitchy (and I'm pretty damn twitchy when I struggle) and hello hook ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So the slow wheels at the Kittyhawk pro shop are finally turning. They've got a shaft for me and I should get it back just before I go on vacation.

Here's the new question. They ordered a 60-gram shaft instead of a 50-gram shaft like I previously had. It will save me about $150. Should the extra 10 grams make much of a difference?

I prefer x stiff in my driver, not got the swingspeed for it according to the computer but it's getting great results, as in I'm hitting more fairways with it.  Strangely though I play regular in my mini driver and hybrid and they are working for me.  For me it's a feeling thing and that in turn probably leads to confidence in the club.   I think play what works for you and don't get fully caught up in trackman. (I don't mean just ignore it either).  Mark crossfield does a great shaft flex video on YouTube which is a real eye opener.  Obviously he has middle of the road swingspeed so it may be different for people at different ends of the scale. 

So I got my driver back yesterday with a scant four days before vacation.

The good news aside from my saving $150 on the shaft is that the club seems to perform the same as it had with the 50-gram shaft. Distance was roughly the same and my dispersal pattern is close to the same. That said, I can feel the difference. Not only does the club feel heavier but I feel the ball much more at impact that I did with the old shaft. Not sure if that's something to worry about or not. I guess if the results hold, it's not a problem.

With the Covert driver back in the bag, I'm really looking forward to a lot of fairways in the next little bit. The older VRS (the emergency replacement) really did seem good for another 10 yards or so on the rare shots I squared up, but the snap hooks (and over-reaction pop slices) were killing my rounds. I was living in fear of that hook every time I teed one up. Hitting that Covert usually keeps even my worst swings somewhere reasonable.  

On 8/30/2016 at 6:09 PM, Kalnoky said:

I had the exact same thought(s) a few months ago... My instructor made me slow way down and take a big shoulder turn with the driver. And man, that was pretty revolutionary advice for me.

You probably are swinging 100+ It's really not that hard to do if you are in reasonably good shape. I'm not a physicist, but I'm pretty sure the head is out in front of the shaft at impact, kind of like a whip. Maybe somebody here can correct me. 

That's correct, looking at frame-by-frames of tour players. The rate of acceleration tends to be highest in the middle of the downswing; exactly where depends on your swing tempo, which is also a factor in shaft flex (and kickpoint) selection. if you kept accelerating the clubhead at a constant rate all the way to impact, you wouldn't want any flex at all, because any flex to the shaft in this scenario would beam the club is flexed at impact, wasting your energy, and opening and delofting the clubface. Instead, the ideal human swing motion accelerates on the downswing, then "releases" on the throughswing just before impact, and the shaft flex keeps the clubhead accelerating into the ball even as your hands slow. Better players accelerate more, and for a longer portion of their swing ending closer to impact, so they need a stiff shaft that will release the energy in less time at the bottom of their swing. The rest of us slow our acceleration earlier and have less overall acceleration force, so a more flexible shaft will bend more for less force earlier in our swing and store that energy for a longer time, "unwinding" over the longer distance between our maximum acceleration point and the ball to match this slower swing tempo.

Edited by Liko81

Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!