IGNORED

How open do you set up to green side bunker shot

yamhang
Note: This thread is 5980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me, I would set up square to the target line.
open my wedge (wide open).
open my stance until the line of groove on my wedge is prependicular to target line.
Focus behind the ball and swing away.

It works most of time but really like to find out the right way to do it consistently

I think that you just described the 'explosion' shot popularized by Gary player. Not very accurate but better for beginners since it gets the ball out more reliably.

I have gravitated to the 'splash' shot which is more accurate since you are taking dead aim at the target rather than oblique to it, using a shallow arc taking out less sand. Clubhead is not open unless you are in a deep bunker, ie have a high lip to go over.

All sounds pretty solid to me, my advise would be don't open the blade of the wedge to much, IMO too much loft increases the chance of 'duffing' the shot, 56 degrees of loft is plenty to get out of a bunker, remember opening the club face wide open probably gives you the equivalent of 70+ degrees of loft, which is not necessary when playing a normal splash/explosion shot from the sand.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

The most efficient way to do anything is always going to be the simplest.

However, the simplest way to effectively hit a bunker shot depends a great deal on the consistency of the sand. If you are in shallow, coarse sand, setting up square will help to take bounce off of your wedge so the leading edge can cut into the sand more easily. In beach sand, playing the shot from an open stance will help use the bounce to pop the ball out - this type of sand was what bounce was created for.

In general, it is simpler for most people to always set up square for every shot. But the best way for you is the simplest way for you.

Golf Swing Instruction, Theory, Tips and more at SwingDynamics.Net - so check it out!

I am just curious, but out of bunkers where do you usually miss, short, long, right, left? If you are missing to the right, then you might want to open up your stance. There is no right answer to this, everyone is different, so just play with it and see what works, hey if you miss left then by all means, close your stance.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I am in my office setting up in my imaginary bunker.

My stance is set near 11:00 and my club face about 1:00 and I swing along the line of my feet. If the sand is tight or compact, I will use my 60 with less bounce and square it up a little, if it is fluffy then the 54 gets the call with more bounce or I may lay the 60 wide open to increase the bounce for a really short explosion. My misses lately have been just a little long, but on target.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

If the pin is very close, I would take a 60º wedge (if I had it) and I would swing the club really steep, catching the sand 1-3'' behind the ball so it would drop and stop.
SInce I only have a 56º wedge, I would onlytake a normal stance, grip the club near the shaft and make 1/2 swing, catching almost no sand.

In my bag:

Titleist 905 Aldila VS Proto| TaylorMade r9 stiff shaft| Titleist 906F Aldila NV 75-S Fairway| Titleist ZM S300 (3-PW) |Titleist 54º SM TT Wedge Flex| Titleist 60º SM TT Wedge Flex| Scotty Cameron Newport 2

09 Goals- Handicap to 2 (I'm crazy I know)- Win 10 tournaments (dune)- Win...

I use my 58 degree wedge, open it all the way up to about 70 degrees, and my stance is at a 45 degree angle to my target ( so my face is just left of the pin because it spins right for me), and then just take a full swing and dig in.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Sounds about right to me. I like the focus on a spot behind the ball part. I don't even look at the ball when I hit bunker shots. The only thing I'd change is how your build the shot. I start by aiming the clubface at my target. Then I build my stance around that, especially if I'm trying a high flop from the sand. It's a lot more comfortable for me. And my stance is wide WIDE open. The more you can pull your shot across the target the higher you can get it to go. Open that stance! For real consistency I practice practice practice my bunker shots.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I open my stance up, aim my clubface square to the target, aim like 4 inches behind the ball and rip it. Comes out really high and soft.

On longer shots I just don't take as much sand, and square up to the target a bit more.

Driver: FT-3 NVS Stiff
Woods: X- 3 and 5 wood fujikura stiff
irons: X-Forged 4-PW - Flighted Project X 6.0
wedges: X-Tour (52/56/60)
putter: White Hot XG #1 ball: Pro V1/ Callaway HX Tour 56

Note: This thread is 5980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!