IGNORED

Jim McLean: Trackman numbers different on mats vs grass

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I read about radar number differences between mats and grass - less spin higher launch on mats here or referenced from elsewhere here what feels like a long time ago. Too bad I don't have enough access to radar to use this bit. So he has a "new", just learned about it now, released in June, "book" only available in Kindle format for $50 on Trackman. He also noted less CHS difference between indoors.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not a golfer who worries much about numbers, but this study is interesting and I have to say I'm not remotely surprised. I've long noticed that hitting long and mid irons off the mat at the range produces shots that take off like a rocket - a much higher launch angle than similar shots hit from the grass on the course. The mats are far more forgiving, and, I think, give you a distorted impression of how you're hitting the ball. OK, a top is a top, whatever you're hitting from, but the mats don't seem to punish fat shots.

This is why I spend very little time at the range these days. The range owner has zero tolerance of you moving a couple of feet forward from the booth to hit from the grass. I worry that I can embed bad elements into my swing at the range, which are not evident in hitting from the mat, but which will come back to haunt me when I hit from the fairway. Also, the permanent tees poking through the mat mean there is no way of teeing a ball to the height I like for my driver - the assumption seems to be that everyone with a 460cc driver wants to tee the ball four inches above the ground (slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean). I prefer to practice on the practice ground and the course itself, these days.

A mat in a golf store seems to produce numbers that always play downwind! 

Personally, I don't hit off mats for the reasons you described.  I don't like how they feel and there is no feedback like hitting off real turf. Hogan did say that the secret is in the dirt. 

Edited by TourSpoon

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Personally, Ive never noticed much of a differnece between a mat and grass when I'm hitting balls. Im hitting the ball first, anyway.. I've also never had my swing anaylized in that way. though. Honestly, I'm not too sure i care to know what my spin rate is...lol. 

But the study seems interesting. 

Note: This thread is 2773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!