IGNORED

Golden Oldie golf clubs

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With all the new tech coming out promising golfers 20 yards extra or laser like accuracy (usually at eye watering price tag), do any of my esteemed fellow members use or find themselves actually reverting to old(er) clubs or grabbing that bargain fronm the garage sale/ebay that turns out to be better than their current set?

I recentley bagged myself a set of 3-sw...wait for it......Hippo "Beast" bi metal irons (very good condition" for £40 quid A) beacuse they looked good (and i haggled seller down), b) i wanted heavier shaft and head combo to try bit not spend much money and C) they have the word "Beast" on them. Whats not to love? At worst should be a laugh!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Russ, If you want more yards you have to get the latest and greatest from TM.  Always longer and straighter.  :whistle:

Throw up a pic of the Beasts.  I wanna see!

I have older gear and love to play it and do pretty good with it.  I do believe the drivers have advanced the most over time but for irons, not so much.  Other than fudging the lofts to make them seem like they go farther not much new to get me to buy.

If you like your clubs, know how far they hit, have gaps covered and can hit them pretty straight I say you are doing good with what you have.

If you got cake to blow, want to impress and hit your 7 iron into the next state, check out what TM is slinging this quarter and beware as soon as you walk out the store they will have a new 7 iron the can cross into the next time zone.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

My 3-W irons are from 1978 (original Eye), 460cc driver & fairway woods are from 2004 (G5), putter is nearly as old as my irons.

I did recently get some news wedges 56* and 60* but I spent $30 each for them on Rockbottom Golf. I'm cheap but sank a 60-yard approach shot today with the 60*.

I'm cheap and I know it...but, it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

• Upvote 1

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

I recently made a post about this regarding my irons.  I followed through with the advice I got and hit some other irons.  End result was, drumroll please......Ping G2's are still in my bag. 

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

6 hours ago, Joey G said:

it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Like it!  Good saying!  I like to see that others can play the goodies Ping made many years ago.  I love hitting my Eye 2's and ISI's.  Not because they are old but because they have a feel to them.  Copper and Nickel have different feels that are sooooo different than most cast clubs.  I am a feel player and that is also why I play the Miuras and Mizunos.  Those are forged and have a feel to them as well.

6 hours ago, chilepepper said:

If the extra distance was true we would all be driving the green on par 5's.

I was joking about the distance.  But it is a fact that TM has continually adjusted the lofts over the years to make it "seem" like their irons go farther.

33 minutes ago, caddystacks said:

I recently made a post about this regarding my irons.  I followed through with the advice I got and hit some other irons.  End result was, drumroll please......Ping G2's are still in my bag. 

I remember posting on your thread and was glad to help. Good to see you are still gaming the Pings.

Basically if you like the look of your clubs, can hit them pretty good and know your distances then you are good to go! Yes, having shiny new toys are always cool but do you need them?  Up to the individual.

7 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Like it!  Good saying!  I like to see that others can play the goodies Ping made many years ago.  I love hitting my Eye 2's and ISI's.  Not because they are old but because they have a feel to them.  Copper and Nickel have different feels that are sooooo different than most cast clubs.  I am a feel player and that is also why I play the Miuras and Mizunos.  Those are forged and have a feel to them as well.

I was joking about the distance.  But it is a fact that TM has continually adjusted the lofts over the years to make it "seem" like their irons go farther.

I remember posting on your thread and was glad to help. Good to see you are still gaming the Pings.

Basically if you like the look of your clubs, can hit them pretty good and know your distances then you are good to go! Yes, having shiny new toys are always cool but do you need them?  Up to the individual.

Agreed. It seems us golfers are like Magpies. As soon as we see something new and shiny we want it. Also may have something to do with al the marketing BS "buy the new Taylormade Megaburner irons and gain mega yards on all your shots".........oooh mega yards, Im in!

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

7 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Agreed. It seems us golfers are like Magpies. As soon as we see something new and shiny we want it. Also may have something to do with al the marketing BS "buy the new Taylormade Megaburner irons and gain mega yards on all your shots".........oooh mega yards, Im in!

I like that one.  See if you can sell it to TM for their next set of irons.  I gonna pre order now! :-D

I am pretty much a bogey golfer regardless of equipment. I do a little better with newer stuff, a little more consistent. Most of the time however, I play with really old stuff--woods with wood heads and forged blade irons. I don't think it makes me better, I just enjoy it.

My current bag cost less than $100, including the bag! I have almost as much in the balls as the rest of the equipment.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

12 minutes ago, dbuck said:

I am pretty much a bogey golfer regardless of equipment. I do a little better with newer stuff, a little more consistent. Most of the time however, I play with really old stuff--woods with wood heads and forged blade irons. I don't think it makes me better, I just enjoy it.

My current bag cost less than $100, including the bag! I have almost as much in the balls as the rest of the equipment.

Thats the best reason. 

My brother in law has Yonex 3w and 5w and they are actually wood with a metal plate on the soles. He stripes it with them every time.

Well, the Beast's arrived on Friday and i have to say that they are in amazing condition and despite being "just" mid 2000's Hippo's they look really good (will post pics).

Just what i was after, nice weight clubhead and 114g True temper shaft. Only hit some foam practice balls but they swing nice. 

Cant wait to hit the range with them but may leave the 3 iron at home!

On 11/5/2016 at 0:01 PM, GolfClubbas said:

my irons are 1990 ben hogan apex grinds, 3-e (whatever "e" stands for)

and i have 2 older putters: a cougar big cat putter and a taylormade rossa monza spider belly putter

"equalizer"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!