IGNORED

Change shaft or ??

grahambm
Note: This thread is 2720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was recently given a TM M1 460 driver. It had been hit a few times, but was as-new. I tried it for one round. I at first hit very poor shots - low slices. Eventually, I got the drives to go straight, but distance no better than my R9 driver. Then I found that the club had an S shaft!

From reviews it seemed that even if I changed shaft, the M1 may not be right for me (senior, 12-13 index) good drive about 220yds??

Should I return club so someone younger and stronger can make use of it, or would it likely work for me if it had an R shaft?   R-9 is a bit beat up, but still works for me.

By the way - is it easy to change the shaft?

What is the loft of the M1 head, and which model S-shaft do you have?

If you're making good contact but getting low distance, the shaft may be too stiff. I tried some stiff shafted drivers at Christmas - straight as an arrow, 190-200 yards:cry: every time.

Changing out the shaft would be easy, if it had the hosel adjustor tip for the M1.

M1 Promos  claim it will fit a wide range of golfers, but you would need the right shaft, and swing.

The M1 comes with three stock shaft options, and 12 loft-and-lie hosel combinations, and movable weights in the head. Lots of variations to dial in.

Best way to tell what to do? Get on a launch monitor with a fitter, and see what the numbers say. Another driver might be better. If not, a good fitter could help you get M1 adjusted right.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shaft is an OZIK White Tie MFS 60X4 S High launch.

It is a 9.5. Set at present 1 div higher than normal on hosel adjuster.

At present, my old R-9 driver is the club in my bag that I hit best, so it might be best to just give this driver back (Even although it is tempting to keep it and maybe trade for an M2)

I had the ozik red tie mfs 60 stiff in my driver for a lil while until i got my motore f1 x-stiff 70 gram shaft back from my bro in law and it was a decent shaft but a lil too lite for my taste but if you do want to change it and dont want to buy a new adapter hit me up and ill walk you through it bud.. Its not that hard but it can be a lil nerve racking the first time you do it

How does it feel when you hit it? Might get better ball flight with swing changes.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

57 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

How does it feel when you hit it? Might get better ball flight with swing changes.

To be honest, I didn't like the feel or sound of it compared with my other drivers. But it does "look" good :) 

M1  was given to me to try out and keep if I want it. So probably best to just return it. Someone else will get to enjoy it. 

Thanks for the input.

Edited by grahambm

On 11/10/2016 at 4:35 PM, grahambm said:

I was recently given a TM M1 460 driver. It had been hit a few times, but was as-new. I tried it for one round. I at first hit very poor shots - low slices. Eventually, I got the drives to go straight, but distance no better than my R9 driver. Then I found that the club had an S shaft!

From reviews it seemed that even if I changed shaft, the M1 may not be right for me (senior, 12-13 index) good drive about 220yds??

Should I return club so someone younger and stronger can make use of it, or would it likely work for me if it had an R shaft?   R-9 is a bit beat up, but still works for me.

By the way - is it easy to change the shaft?

I replaced my shaft in the R15 3 wood. It is a monster now. You just go and get your local fitting studio to fit you with a shaft that is perfect for you.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

If you haven't already made your decision why can't you match the shaft of your go to driver to this new one? Seems to me that would be the fairest comparison. If that still didn't match or exceed your current driver you could then explore loft. I don't believe you mentioned the loft of your current driver. 

• Upvote 1

I didn't need a new driver, but having been given a very good one, I was quite excited to try it. But with stiff shaft that didn't work out for me. A replacement shaft for this driver costs more than I would have to pay for a top condition pre-owned like the Aeroburner. And I would be stuck with the new shaft it if I still didn't like the club. 

So have decided to stick with R9 and rather work on my swing (and flexibilty/fitness!)

Thanks again

SImple answer from another senior - give it back.

Get a lighter, more forgiving, higher lofted driver with an appropriate shaft.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Good decision to stick with what has been working.  Since you are not long, neither am I, the improvement the new equipment will give you will  probably be marginal at best.

Not worth the hassle to swap out the shaft for a few extra yards.  Especially if you end up not really liking it after all of that.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

Note: This thread is 2720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!