IGNORED

Just Finished My Backyard Putting Green!

MattM
Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, MattM said:

Hey thanks for the advice!  I'll look into that!

https://www.syntheticgrasswarehouse.com/products/accessories/wonder-edge/

also available through Purchase Green web site.

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

https://www.syntheticgrasswarehouse.com/products/accessories/wonder-edge/

also available through Purchase Green web site.

That's a nice product!!!!!

I wish I had that power brush.  I still have to brush the fringe up and add the sand to get it looking like real grass.

Ok.  So.  I wanted to give everyone quick easy links to the products I have and the instructions for the trap and green/fringe install.

FIrst, the green and fringe was purchased through a company called starpro greens. They make a high quality product!  I bought it through HomeDepot so I could utilize my home depot credit card.

Here are the links to the green and fringe:

Green: http://www.homedepot.com/p/StarPro-Greens-9-ft-x15-ft-Indoor-Outdoor-Synthetic-Turf-5-Hole-Practice-Putting-Golf-Green-SP9X15/100625581

Fringe: http://www.homedepot.com/p/StarPro-Greens-Centipede-Southwest-Synthetic-Lawn-Grass-Turf-Sold-by-15-ft-W-rolls-x-Your-Length-RGB7/202025213

Link to the site that has instructions for creating a sand trap and installing artificial greens and fringe:

http://www.allprogreens.com/toolsandinstall-sandtrap.htm

Allpro's instructions were friggen priceless!!!!

• 1 month later...

So I got out of work a little early today and the weather was almost touching 40s so I decided to do some more finishing work on the green and rough.  

Down where the sand trap is I picked up individual bricks and added some base to them to lift them up.  Once lifted and even the bricks naturally became a nice border for the rough in that area.  After those were done I used paver sand to fill in the bricks which came out very nicely in my opinion!

1230161638a.jpg

1230161602.jpg

I also added a nice roman brick boarder between the green and the fence.

1230161603a.jpg

So...Everything in the area of the sandtrap is pretty much done.  I still have to add the additional rough off the other side and get the brick cut to fully match the shape of the green.  All in all it's still a work in progress.....

Anyway tell me what you all think!

1230161638.jpg

• Upvote 1

Good job! How deep is the sand? Looks to have a nice lip for short siders. The rough area should be good for floppies.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

i went pretty deep with the sand.  I'd say 2 1/2 to 3 foot deep.

Thing that sucks...because of the winter I haven't even gotten to hit any chips yet!!! ugh!

• 4 weeks later...

So. We had a few nice days lately which allowed me to do a few more things to the green since I had a little time.  

The first new thing I was able to add was the new hole markers.  These really add to the look of the green!green with hole markers.jpg

I then took the shopvac to the green to clean it up some, and sprayed and brushed the mud off of the brick walkway that frames the green and rough.

Putting Green Clean1.jpgClean Green 2.jpg

• 7 months later...

So, I would havr finished everything a lot sooner but Ive been battling an ant infestation.  They decided they wanted to turn the subbase under the green into an ant farm which meant I had to lift the green and try to level again.  after hopefully killing all of the ants and getting everything leveled again.  I decided to try to finish the green and surroinding area. . Here are a few pics of the other side of the green.

Resized952017091795123725952086.jpg

0918170719.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know its been forever since I posted in here but I wanted to provide a couple really good pics with the green cleaned off.

1112171444.jpg

1112171444b.jpg

Im just glad its finally fully done!!!

• Like 1

Very nice, from reading all your posts it looked like a huge amount of work!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

@MattM Looking better and better. My patio is similar to yours but a bit larger (L shaped) and about 45 feet on each side. You gave me the idea of adding a putting green, but the only feasible place is on an existing slab (behind my chip/pitch station). I guess I would have to lay in a soft underlayment before putting in putting green as the concrete would probably be too hard and the "green" too thin for cups.  I have posted a few videos of it before in my thread on backyard practice. There really is no place for a bunker.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Thank you for the kind remarks! 

For your concrete issue. They do make self contained greens that have their own bases, but they are way more expensive.  What you could do is just act like the concrete is regular ground and put your subbase right on top of the concrete.  You would need a lot less subbase bc the concrete is so stable.  Actually, you could probably get away with jus buying a bunch of bags of paver sand and compacting that over top.

As to the sand trap...there is always room for one!!!! :) 

Very nicely! I have straight putts and a number of sloping putts.  

I use it alot more to chip and pitch on cuz you dont need it perfectly clean.  Thats the biggest problem is keeping it clean of leaves and other stuff that can blow onto the green and mess up putting.

• 4 months later...

So I wanted to follow up with everyone....unfortunately.  Didnt originally cement my holes in.  I just dug then and compressed around it.  Problem is with the ability for water to seep into and around the hole area it sort washed some subbase away and caused issues.

Having said that i learned the error of my ways and did cement or rather mortar around the holes.  Ive also put a thick weed barrier on top of the subgrade and am going to put about an inch of that sand to level it.  Here is a pic of one of the holes cemented..

0128181429.thumb.jpg.5a82189912b47916d77ce67cd28361b6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So Im still worried about my subbase issue and decided to us a product called brock paver base panels.  Essentially the panels take the place of like 4 inches of aggregate.  Im hoping it will fix my prblems.  Here they ate place and being cut to shape.

0407181905.jpg

I now need to line the green up and cut the holes....hopefully it works!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Really impressive amount of effort you've put in - it looks excellent as well. Tip of the hat to you, sir!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!