IGNORED

My Swing (Mistermuhl)

mistermuhl
Note: This thread is 2598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: less than 1 year
My current handicap index or average score is: 87-90
My typical ball flight is: straight or slight fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hook or big fade. With some fat shots mixed in.

This is a  new swing for me. When I first started I aligned in line with the target. I started toying with an open stance a month or so ago and it has been a world of fantastic change. Not tooting my horn but I am currently a pro athlete and I'm always looking for little tweaks I can make to refine my game due to the nature of who I am. 

Thank yall all for any help!

Videos: 

Welcome aboard!

First thing I see is that the camera angles are not what TST members have been trained to submit. Here's some guidance on that: https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing.

We look forward to learning more about you, as you contribute here and elsewhere on the site. What sport do you play?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, mistermuhl said:

Playing Golf for: less than 1 year

Welcome mistermuhl to TST and hope you enjoy golf for many years to come.

It's apparent that your on a great path with learning swing basics in a very short timeframe.
In reviewing the videos, your positions throughout your swing are very, very good.
I've seen gazillion of different swings by people learning golf and I have yet to see anyone keep their "head on the ball"
the length you maintain. That's almost incredible you have disciplined yourself to maintain it or your forcing yourself.

It's also apparent someone has worked in detail to get you to the level you have achieved.
As Randall mentioned, better videos are also key.

There are many great guys on the site who can offer quality advise.
Look forward to viewing your progress and Happy Golfing. :beer:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

As far as the video is concerned, it was all done on the iPhone. So it's not perfect. It's difficult to do a DTL video because I have an open stance. Both balls went at the desired target. I say that because on my DTL one the ball goes basically straight down my target line. So the camera is relatively close to the target line. 

Ive never had a lesson or anything formal. It's the result of some good advice from good golfers and me spending a lot of time figuring out what works and gauging the quality of my ball strike and adjusting.

thank you guys for your responses so far

Oh and I am a pro baseball player. 

24 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I've seen gazillion of different swings by people learning golf and I have yet to see anyone keep their "head on the ball"
the length you maintain. That's almost incredible you have disciplined yourself to maintain it or your forcing yourself.

Are you referring to how long i keep head steady on the ball?

7 minutes ago, mistermuhl said:

Are you referring to how long i keep head steady on the ball?

Yes, it's a good thing. Your head is very steady throughout the swing.

Other notable aspects - Arms and shoulders are in very good positions throughout swing.

Torso angle looks good, rotation is in good timing.

Others may have pointers helping you with "trying to reduce/eliminate is: hook or big fade. With some fat shots mixed in"

The three you indicate are not results of the videos you posted.

A hook is typical of active hands and reduced turn at the swing often referred as being too quick.
A banana ball is upper body/torso straightens with swing and a fat shot is steep Aoa.

I played today and obviously I wasn't taking video because I'm working on separating practice thoughts from playing thoughts. But I found myself taking super deep divots. I as still catching in pretty flush but I was getting serious depth to the point of my club stopping. I've seen this happen before with me and I can't figure it out. I'll hit the range tomorrow and post some updated videos 

3 hours ago, mistermuhl said:

taking super deep divots

If the range you practice at has matts, try alternating on the matt and turf in your practice.

Or, hit a few shots from the ruff at the perimeter of the range if possible.

A change in depth perception could help the mind from thinking you need to be steep into the ball.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

If the range you practice at has matts, try alternating on the matt and turf in your practice.

Or, hit a few shots from the ruff at the perimeter of the range if possible.

A change in depth perception could help the mind from thinking you need to be steep into the ball.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

https://youtu.be/50CM8KlWVmM

i have suddenly lost my golf swing. I have broken two driver shafts in the past couple weeks from hitting shots off the driver hosel. My irons are sucking and overall I'm just hitting terrible shots. This drive was hit off the crown. So I figured it would be a good one to show y'all. I'm on the verge of losing my mind with my golf swing. Help me out guys!

Broken two shafts? Something is bizarre about that. I've had tons of mishits, but never broken anything.

When things go south, it's time to go back to basics. Is there anything in particular that you are working on now? Do you have an instructor? Is there a philosophy of the swing that you "subscribe" to, or do you just swing away and look at internet/you tube tips?

If you don't already have a system for looking at your swing, you can definitely take a look here:

Overall, the philosophy is based around 5 keys: a steady head, getting weight forward, etc. Then you just analyze yourself regarding those 5 keys and do drills around your biggest weakness.

The hardest part is the analysis to pinpoint your priority to work on, however, and you usually need an expert who can guide you on what they're seeing. If you contribute in other areas of the site, you can usually start to attract an audience in this swing thread. If you just post here only, it just is harder to gain a following and get noticed.

But anyway, if you just get to sound fundamentals by reviewing some of those keys and drills to attain them, you can usually recover a swing that will keep the ball in play. Good luck!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• 2 weeks later...

Getting my swing ironed out again. Closed my stance to play a more conventional alignment with my longer irons. I'm fairly pleased with this DTL but today was the first day of the changes. So we will see. 

I really want to figure out why I get in this position. Clearly my body is compensating for some serious flaw because that isn't an athletic position. And why my back foot moves as if it's trying to clear

IMG_0458.PNG

Edited by mistermuhl

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.15.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.16.54 PM.png

Not sure I know what I'm talking about, but I'd look at a couple things:

1) Your right elbow is not staying out in front.

2) doesn't look like you're getting your weight forward dynamically. If you look at Tiger's right leg, you can see that his hips must be forward (and rotated more than yours). You look more vertical, and I can't see your left pocket.

Whether these are symptoms of a different problem, or a problem to address by themselves- that I cannot say.

For what it's worth, I do remember this video on my right elbow has helped me. In your backswing, the right elbow looks ok to me honestly, but it seems to get stuck behind you on the downswing to my eye. You likely don't feel that connectedness right now that people talk about.

All of this under a disclaimer: I'm a student like you. Just trying to give ideas until an expert chimes in.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

For what it's worth, I do remember this video on my right elbow has helped me. In your backswing, the right elbow looks ok to me honestly, but it seems to get stuck behind you on the downswing to my eye.

I agree with the video. I just did some simple dry reps with a club and it is definitely different from any position that I typically go in. Thank you for the video. I had been looking through the 5sk videos and I didn't feel like it was applying to me very much. But this video makes a lot of sense. Thank you sir

@RandallT I worked on what you said about being stuck and it is definitely better. Obviously every shot wasn't this great but after I got some feel for it I was hitting a slight push draw every time I made good contact which was 60% ish. 

Thank you you for the tip. 

38 minutes ago, mistermuhl said:

@RandallT I worked on what you said about being stuck and it is definitely better. Obviously every shot wasn't this great but after I got some feel for it I was hitting a slight push draw every time I made good contact which was 60% ish. 

Thank you you for the tip. 

And I'm anti-tip too! Glad it may have helped. This idea is related I think. Some tidbits on the right elbow, in case you think that direction may bear fruit: 

My Swing

my second session of working on flattening my plane. I don't know why but now that I look back on it I see that my stance is significantly more open and I don't know why I let that happen. I was hitting more of a fade pattern rather than the draw I was seeing the previous session. It's definitely progress and I don't see my huge loss of posture when trying to compensate for my poor actions. 

Just keep grinding. 

Note: This thread is 2598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!