IGNORED

Lesson Options

Mconn116
Note: This thread is 2698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys so have been looking into different options for a few lessons and seems in have 2 viable options, lessons with a pro at one of the local courses, or lessons in store a pgasuperstore or golf galaxy. My question is one necessarily better than the other? At the range I feel would be beneficial due to being able to see the complete ball flight. But in the store seems effective by being able to video my swing and review in slow mo, any thoughts?

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I would avoid the big box stores for lessons. They can sometimes have some cool equipment (for example, I got a free lesson through my old instructor who switched from dong his own thing to going to a Golfsmith) like the GolfTec equipment, but I don't believe they have the best instructors.

I recommend looking up instructors in your area (google) and see their ratings, including the one at your local golf club. Ask around in your golf groups and friends. That's how I found my instructor and he's awesome (although it's been a while, but I'm planning on going back for some short game and putting instruction in late winter).

A lot of clubs will have poor instructors, so you need to really be looking around. Don't assume just because they're a pro that they'll improve your game.

Looking for the right pro will pay off, as will the lessons themselves.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Mconn116 said:

Hey guys so have been looking into different options for a few lessons and seems in have 2 viable options, lessons with a pro at one of the local courses, or lessons in store a pgasuperstore or golf galaxy. My question is one necessarily better than the other? At the range I feel would be beneficial due to being able to see the complete ball flight. But in the store seems effective by being able to video my swing and review in slow mo, any thoughts?

It depends on the instructor. 

You can also find some instructors who use video camera or trackman/flightscope  at golf courses as well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have taken several lessons from different instructors. I have also checked out the indoor instruction facilities. Most club pros work with video nowdays.

IMO, you have to ask the instructor about their teaching methodology and such. Then, watch them teaching for a few minutes.

To me, how the instructor communicates and weather you can connect with him/her as it relates the Golf is key.

Personally, I don't do well with an instructor that oversimplifies things. I just need to know the mechanics, the rational, further more I need to understand it, and finally it needs to make sense...is just how my mind works.  Only then I can commit to the process. 

Good luck.

• Administrator

You've left out a third option: online instruction.

We do a great job of it at evolvr.com.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!