IGNORED

Greenwood SC

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 2552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be staying in Greenwood when I go to Augusta National for the Master's in April.  Any TST'ers have golf recommendations in this area?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have heard good things about Grand Harbor Golf & Yacht Club and Links At Stoney Point. I have not played them however.

I have played at Hunter's Creek which I would recommend.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

3 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

I have heard good things about Grand Harbor Golf & Yacht Club and Links At Stoney Point. I have not played them however.

Thank you

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 3 months later...

@gmohr Any other recommendations in your area to try and play?  Besides Woodside Plantation on Sunday, we're going to play Monday and Tuesday and then go to Augusta for the Wednesday practice round and par 3 tournament.  

On 12/9/2016 at 9:54 AM, coachjimsc said:

There are 3 - 9's, any two you like the most.  Cost is really reasonable.  Far cheaper than anything around me in No. VA.  Cart is more expensive then the golf.  

-Jerry

15 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

There are 3 - 9's, any two you like the most.  Cost is really reasonable.  Far cheaper than anything around me in No. VA.  Cart is more expensive then the golf.

Willow and the Maple are my two favorite nines there.

I believe you will get what you pay for at this time of year though with the course being dormant. 

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

6 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Willow and the Maple are my two favorite nines there.

I believe you will get what you pay for at this time of year though with the course being dormant. 

Yeah, not figuring the conditions will be primo, but always cool to play new courses.  Having never been to the area should be a good time.

-Jerry

30 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

@gmohr Any other recommendations in your area to try and play?  Besides Woodside Plantation on Sunday, we're going to play Monday and Tuesday and then go to Augusta for the Wednesday practice round and par 3 tournament. 

I like Forest Hills, Gordon Lakes GC and Jones Creek.  They are all pretty good.  Gordon Lakes is my home course.  One of the best 27 hole courses in the MWR

system.  The tee times will be hard to come by no matter where you try to play and the fees can quadruple or more.  Most of us locals leave the area during that week.

I will be in Lakeland, FL for Sun N Fun.  That is my other hobby, flying my RV6A.

Gene, Retired Army, photography, aviation and golf enthusiast

Trenton, SC

Adams aOS12 set.

Gordon Lakes GC home course

Just now, gmohr said:

I like Forest Hills, Gordon Lakes GC and Jones Creek.  They are all pretty good.  Gordon Lakes is my home course.  One of the best 27 hole courses in the MWR

system.  The tee times will be hard to come by no matter where you try to play and the fees can quadruple or more.  Most of us locals leave the area during that week.

I will be in Lakeland, FL for Sun N Fun.  That is my other hobby, flying my RV6A.

Luckily I'm getting a good price for Woodside Plantation as I'm a ClubCorp member. Also thinking of heading up to Greenville SC and staying away from golfing near Augusta during the Master's Week. 

-Jerry

Just now, jsgolfer said:

Luckily I'm getting a good price for Woodside Plantation as I'm a ClubCorp member. Also thinking of heading up to Greenville SC and staying away from golfing near Augusta during the Master's Week. 

That would be a smart move although, even Greenville gets pretty busy Masters week but should be much better than Augusta.

Trenton, SC

Adams aOS12 set.

2 hours ago, gmohr said:

That would be a smart move although, even Greenville gets pretty busy Masters week but should be much better than Augusta.

And luckily as a member at a Country Club we can get reciprocity at most Country Clubs. Hoping to get on Greenville CC one of the days 

-Jerry

6 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

And luckily as a member at a Country Club we can get reciprocity at most Country Clubs. Hoping to get on Greenville CC one of the days 

That is sweet!  Being a member of Gordon Lakes gives me reciprocity at all Military courses.  One of these days I hope to play Greenville as well.  I

really need to reduce my Hi first.  In the past month I have gone from shooting 115 - 120 and now routinely score between 102 to 108.  Not a lot

of improvement but some.  Back in the 80's I was a 5Hi then hurt my shoulder and developed on of the most wicked slices you can imagine.  It was so

bad that I quit playing until January this year.  But I am working on it.  I am way over the top and outside in with my driver.  Hopefully after this year

I will be back in the mid teens.  Working with the Pro at Gordon Lakes should help along with the good folks here.  I plan to get the video of my

swing uploaded this weekend.

Edited by gmohr

Trenton, SC

Adams aOS12 set.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

So just finalized all golf for the trip to the Master's.

Sunday - Woodside Plantation Country Club - Jones Course  -Aiken SC

Monday - Grand Harbor Yacht & Country Club

Tuesday. - The Carolina Country Club - Spartanburg SC

Wednesday - Master's Practice Round

Wanted to get on Greenville CC, but you're only allowed to play if you are with a member.

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Made it to Greenwood last night.  Downtown Greenwood is pretty nice.  We went to The Millhouse pizza and Brewery.  Very good pizza and beer if you're ever on Greenwood.

Off to Woodside Plantation to play some golf.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

25 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Made it to Greenwood last night.  Downtown Greenwood is pretty nice.  We went to The Millhouse pizza and Brewery.  Very good pizza and beer if you're ever on Greenwood.

Off to Woodside Plantation to play some golf.

You have no idea how envious I am. Enjoy! Bring back pics. See u on Friday..

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

:beer:

-Jerry

We hit J. Peters today after golf.  Very good food, the buttered honey drizzelled croissants were awesome.  We bought the appetizer version, but then you got another one with your salad.  My wife had the Prime Rib, it was delicious, but the ribs were fall off the bone awesome.  Loaded mashed potatoes were the bomb too.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Note: This thread is 2552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!