IGNORED

Tennis elbow problem

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have had tennis elbow in my left arm for 14 months. I have done all the exercises, had a rest for a few weeks, and I even had a cortisone injection which worked brilliantly for three weeks. I am determined to continue playing golf, and realise that if I am to do so I must change something in my swing. I keep my left  fairly straight, but not locked, but every time I strike the ball I feel the muscle stretch. Has anyone any ideas that may help ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

2 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

I have had tennis elbow in my left arm for 14 months. I have done all the exercises, had a rest for a few weeks, and I even had a cortisone injection which worked brilliantly for three weeks. I am determined to continue playing golf, and realise that if I am to do so I must change something in my swing. I keep my left  fairly straight, but not locked, but every time I strike the ball I feel the muscle stretch. Has anyone any ideas that may help ?

Tennis elbow and golf elbow are slightly different but arrgravated by similar motions and loads to the tendons.  The golf effects the inside of the elbow whereas the tennis is the outside tendons.   I strained my inside tendon last year and got a huge Popeye elbow to boot that finally settled down after exam, rest, ice, stretching, minimizing the fat shot.  Boy did that first one hurt.  Kind of forced me to shallow my swing during rehab and try and get the club completely through the turf.  FWIW.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Knowing you've tried the the aforementioned measures of rest, stretching, anti-inflammatories (both oral and injectable), I f you were my patient, and you've had sx's for 14 months, I'd order the MRI.  The problem with chronic tendinitis is that it can result in tendinopathy, which often requires surgical debridement. If you can knock down the inflammation quickly, then focus on stretching and rest for a few weeks, that would give you the most likely chance to avoid a chronic issue. But it sounds like you've already done that. Believe me when I say that see prob 15-20 pts per month all with the same story that they "thought it would just get better," but by the time they come in they already have tendinopathy developed. If you are not seeing an orthopedist, I'd recommend it...I'd sure he'd get an MRI at this point. If you have chronic tendinopathy, swing changes aren't likely to help you since the common extensor tendon tissue is degenerative.  

• Upvote 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Nothing to add but good luck, I had a bought of golf elbow myself 2 seasons ago and fortunately stretching and icing were enough for me.  I also wore a forearm wrap that I purchased at the local pharmacy that seemed to lesson the impact and helped during play.  Not sure if the later truly helped or if it was just mental but it did allow me to play/practice without the pain flaring up.  Again, good luck.

I had tennis elbow in the right arm, and lost about three months of play this summer. In my case, I would put too much right hand into the swing, which created several painful jolts each round. Finally it caught up to me, and it felt like an electrical shock in my right elbow and forearm when chopping out of the rough one day.

I had the time off, plus a steroid pack of pills, and ice it down.

Also, I took a lesson, and the pro got me to start the downswing with a pull of the left tricep. This smoothed out my swing, and improved my balance and follow-through extension. And... the right hand engaged smoothly just before impact, without straining the right side.

For left side problems, given you don't lock the elbow, it might be related to the natural structure of your left elbow. Any chance you could get your swing on video - face-on -  and have a pro or therapist take a look? They could see if your downswing motion tends to put undue stress on the elbow.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I recently hurt my left elbow - not sure if it's golfers or tennis elbow or what.   Basically, I had a lesson where we worked on hand and forearm rotation.  I went about practicing it and pretty soon my pinky,ring finger and underside of my hand went numb.  My elbow didn't really hurt - at first I wasn't sure what was even going on.  But then I did some slow motion golf swings and I felt where the injury was - in my left elbow when I rotate past impact.  

Not being a total stranger to rsi's and sports injuries - I immediately stopped all activity and spent the next 4 weeks with my left arm straight.  I even went as far as to type mostly one-handed to avoid using my left arm.  During the 4 weeks it slowly improved.  I did make a few gentle golf swings here and there.  I did plenty of slow motion work.  What I realized that I was fighting against my body with the arm rotation and using too much left arm force.  So I changed some things up with my backswing position so that I'm more "out of the way" and I also stopped twisting so hard with my left arm.  

Knock on wood . . seems to be going well.  I've regained feeling everywhere except the very tip of my pinky.  I've resumed light practice . .half a dozen light swings at a time, a few times a day.  I would definitely not consider playing golf right now . .or even going to the range.  If my symptoms don't completely resolve sometime in January I'll be going to see the ortho-hand-elbow guy.  At 14 months I'd say you probably need to go - good luck and full recovery!  

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

not sure if it's golfers or tennis elbow or what.  

I remember @WUTiger had a post that said there was a difference- that was the first I learned of that:

This seems like a decent video, but someone can double-check this info, as I have no idea of the quality of this (other than it is a popular youtube video when you search the differences- so it must be correct!):

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

23 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I remember @WUTiger had a post that said there was a difference- that was the first I learned of that:

This seems like a decent video, but someone can double-check this info, as I have no idea of the quality of this (other than it is a popular youtube video when you search the differences- so it must be correct!):

That's my basic understanding - golfers elbow is on the inside, tennis elbow the outside.  But with internal structures like elbows (and backs) - especially if there is nerve involvement - it's hard to tell in a self-diagnosis exactly where the real injury is.  For me it felt like the inside but it could've been the outside . .or my even wrist, lol.  Luckily it got better before I had to find out (fingers crossed).  

I played 9 holes today with my arm heavily strapped up, and may have had a eureka moment. In order I didn't hurt my left elbow I was putting 90% of the swing to my right arm. All this did was create a horrible slice, and the ball didn't travel very far. By the time I got to the 6th hole I realised that if I pushed my right hip through it compensated for the lack of use in my left arm. It then dawned on me that perhaps I have been pulling the club through to much with my left arm rather than using my hips enough. At the end of the round my arm was not hurting, and the last 4 holes were quite decent. I have always been conscious of the fact I don't use my hips enough, but perhaps this injury has forced me to do what I should be doing anyway !!

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Note: This thread is 2676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!