IGNORED

My Swing (Wanzo)

Wanzo
Note: This thread is 1184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

Evolvr notes:

1. Keep same backswing feels and continue to work to shorten the arm swing on the backswing, stop arms when pivot stops

2. Keep head steady or feel it moving away from target slightly at start of downswing

3. Feel right side bend, right shoulder closer to right hip in downswing

4. Keep my tilt as I keep the body turning through 

lot of slow swings for now to work on this new feel   All with the goal to flatten the shaft and get clubhead coming into the ball a little more from the inside and a little shallower   

Edited by Wanzo

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

Now that the season is winding down, at least for me, i'm going to start working on my swing a lot over the next few months.  Starting by trying to feel the head/pressure going away from target while my hands push forward into impact to try to get more of an inline impact.

extreme example of the feel i'm shooting for and my current swings below:

image.png.9bd06540764995e2507158daa54f7e0e.png

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 1 month later...

I usually dislike scrambles but a few guys from work wanted to play yesterday so we scrambled.  I hit some of the best shots I’ve hit in a long time.  Usually when I’m playing I try to just forget about mechanics as best I can but this kind of freed me up to accept the results while still thinking about incorporating a couple changes I’m trying to make.  So I’m encouraged to keep working my swing better over the winter.   Main things I’m working on which probably aren’t really going to change:

*hands in and clubhead up more on takeaway.  Felt it in a new way yesterday by focusing on keeping the left arm more connected to start back   

*shorten backswing

*whatever feel works to get club a little more shallow and in to out and more inline at impact.  lay shaft down, right elbow forward, increase right side bend, steady head to start down, cam champ shaft lean at impact.

it sounds like a lot but I’m feeling it more as one fluid motion at slower speeds during practice.  

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 4 months later...

Working on hitting shots with as much shaft lean as possible, slower motion swings feeling the forearms and wrists firm through impact and keeping right wrist bend post impact, currently i dump the wrist angles quickly before impact and flip a little.  

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

33 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

You want to shorten your backswing?  It is beautiful.  Are you having control issues?

my arms tend to keep going after my pivot stops....and i fight an early release causing mostly fat shots when i don't time it just right.  This pic shows it's pretty long, especially for a mid-iron.  But ultimately i'm more concerned with it syncing up with my body/pivot better.  Thanks for the comment.  

image.png.04f9d897f3ce17d503d79f2c3fa51a8f.png

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

I look at that backswing and I see power.  Your shoulders turn like a pro. I can see the early release a bit on these videos, and I bet that zaps some of the power.  But it seems to me that I would be asking about a cure that does not involve losing such a major asset.

Edited by Cantankerish

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

I look at that backswing and I see power.  Your shoulders turn like a pro. I can see the early release a bit on these videos, and I bet that zaps some of the power.  But it seems to me that I would be asking about a cure that does not involve losing such a major asset.

He won't lose any "major asset." He flips right now. He's not being asked to turn his shoulders less, just not to let his arms run on a little as long, because that directly contributes to them trying to "throw out" so much from the top.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

A fresh look at my swing with a new evolvr instructor.  Here are the notes and focus for now.  I’m looking forward to getting to work on this priority. 

1) your lower center needs to slide a bit more from 4-6. I think that will be easier if you flare your left foot more.

2)from 4-6 I would like your lower center to fall forward and down on to your left foot. Left knee is going to track over the left foot if there is enough flare to the left foot. 

Moving forward properly will make it easier to get the shaft inline with the lead arm at impact. 

I like his last note as a reminder too, I needed this....

Keep it Simple, short, slow, specific and see success. 

Edited by Wanzo

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 8 months later...

New (old) priority for now per evolvr: 

This winter I think that the big picture for us should be working on how the shaft is tipping out from 4-5.5 and how your trail shoulder/arm influence that. 

1. make the Shaft taller at A3. I would like you to have to BOC (butt of the club) to point inside the ball and your feet. It does not have to be excessive. Just a few inches is good. 

image.thumb.png.52e09afd58d8e11bb2689676d50254b0.png

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator

Pretty common. You're not alone. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
On 11/24/2020 at 2:12 PM, iacas said:

Pretty common. You're not alone.

Yeah, I'm ready to commit this winter to change that picture. 

Couple more notes for myself....

-Keep working the shaft to be more vertical (pointing between feet and ball) at A-3 but also make sure the hands are less behind me at that point, left arm less pinned across the chest, feel left arm going more straight back to start.  

For later....want to work to keep right shoulder from retracting so much at end of backswing, keep right elbow from going so far where it ends up past shirt seam.  

image.thumb.png.25931d5a7fc17fd49941b28fc2eb6c89.png

Edited by Wanzo

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• 5 weeks later...

latest evolvr notes:

Show me a lead arm that is over exaggerated and straight pointed back to the camera at a3. To do that your right arm will have to flex at a slower rate and the right shoulder will retract at a slower rate. This is the same things that we are currently working on but I feel that we need to over exaggerate them. 

trying to exaggerate and get this feeling....need to keep doing this at slower speeds.

Matt          My Swing

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Note: This thread is 1184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!