IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How many of you guys are taking lessons?

I took 8 lessons (once a week for 2 months, group clinic) at the start of my golf venture 4.5 years ago.   I intend to take more lesson once I get better with my lower neck/upper back problem.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russtopher

I might be in the minority, but I'm the exact opposite - I hit much better shots off the tee on the course than the range. When I'm at the range, I look at the yardage markers and flags, visualize how I want the ball to go, etc. but I still end up hitting slices, big fades, etc. When I'm on the course, however, I just seem to be able to picture the shots better and get my swing to match up, if that makes any sense. I wouldn't say the majority of shots are GOOD by any means :-D But the few times I've been able to hit a nice draw with my driver were all on the course when they were nearly a requirement on that hole, not at the range.

I'm with you - seem to do better on the course ... maybe it's because my concentration is at max level ??   I've regularly hit some of my best shots of given rounds off the first tee when I'm stone cold ...

These days, my range & field results have no correlation.   I can have good range session and screw up the next round and vice versa.    And some days, I play exactly like what I did at range the night before.    A lot depends on if I am fully warmed up before hole #1.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I golf because I truly enjoy the game, and the folks who play it.

Lacking my ability to improve or be a good golfer, the above is my only answer when someone asks why I golf so much. :cry:

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Evening guys,

Been playing around 3 months and struggling to get under 100 .. Sometimes my drive is superb other times i just go 100 yards due to bad contact - Main problem has to be my consistency and the  inconsistency in my swing.

Putting has improved dramatically after i went out with my girlfriends old man he gave me some tips not holding the club to close to my body and widening my legs etc,

from a 9 to PW is where my best shots come from it seems as soon as i go below 8 i start to hit the ground etc...

Thats where im at

Evening shire, I was you about a year or so ago... developing a repeatable swing is crucial, and developing it the right way is even more so. Make sure to study the five keys detailed out on this site... little things like getting your weight forward go a long way. My road to improvement has been marked by many trips to the driving range, recording video of my swing has paid huge dividends, (you never really know what you're doing wrong until you see it), I even put together a journal of my progress during practices so I wouldn't forget what nuances were helping and which ones weren't. During winter months I began practicing my swing indoors on the living room carpet. Its something I do during the "in season" months now as well, especially if I am not able to get out to the range for a stretch.

My biggest issue starting out was hitting huge slices off the tee. I've put a lot of focus on that and I'm much more confident with my driver/3w now to the point where it is a strength. After fixing the slice, this past year has been devoted to getting from the tee to the green in regulation (or close to it) so I began to focus a lot of attention to my 120 yard and in game.

This next year will be devoted more to putting and course management, trying to avoid blow up holes. I have about 2 or 3 blow up holes per round now... if I can drop that down to 1 blow up hole at the most, my scores will easily drop to mid 80's and better.

My scores starting out were in the 120's now in the low 90's / high 80's (more 90's than 80's lol)

Stick with it, I find that the people who improve the least are those who think they are supposed to get better by just showing up once or twice a month.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Evening shire, I was you about a year or so ago... developing a repeatable swing is crucial, and developing it the right way is even more so. Make sure to study the five keys detailed out on this site... little things like getting your weight forward go a long way. My road to improvement has been marked by many trips to the driving range, recording video of my swing has paid huge dividends, (you never really know what you're doing wrong until you see it), I even put together a journal of my progress during practices so I wouldn't forget what nuances were helping and which ones weren't. During winter months I began practicing my swing indoors on the living room carpet. Its something I do during the "in season" months now as well, especially if I am not able to get out to the range for a stretch.

My biggest issue starting out was hitting huge slices off the tee. I've put a lot of focus on that and I'm much more confident with my driver/3w now to the point where it is a strength. After fixing the slice, this past year has been devoted to getting from the tee to the green in regulation (or close to it) so I began to focus a lot of attention to my 120 yard and in game.

This next year will be devoted more to putting and course management, trying to avoid blow up holes. I have about 2 or 3 blow up holes per round now... if I can drop that down to 1 blow up hole at the most, my scores will easily drop to mid 80's and better.

My scores starting out were in the 120's now in the low 90's / high 80's (more 90's than 80's lol)

Stick with it, I find that the people who improve the least are those who think they are supposed to get better by just showing up once or twice a month.

Excellent advice thanks!

I went on holiday to torre blance 3 weeks ago and played some of my best golf the grass was spring and not to mention the higher club where titleist brand new spankers... Hit the ball so well came back and reverted back to my dunlops and kept clubbing it topping it .. you name it .. Definitely gonna get a practice mat/net

I took 8 lessons (once a week for 2 months, group clinic) at the start of my golf venture 4.5 years ago.   I intend to take more lesson once I get better with my lower neck/upper back problem.

I would think that if you take the lessons first, that might help with the neck and upper back issues.

That is, if they are golf related and you still play golf (which I presume you do based upon some of your posts).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Evening guys,

Been playing around 3 months and struggling to get under 100 .. Sometimes my drive is superb other times i just go 100 yards due to bad contact - Main problem has to be my consistency and the  inconsistency in my swing.

Putting has improved dramatically after i went out with my girlfriends old man he gave me some tips not holding the club to close to my body and widening my legs etc,

from a 9 to PW is where my best shots come from it seems as soon as i go below 8 i start to hit the ground etc...

Thats where im at

its a game of repetition - more you play, the better you get ... give it time.    Just swing easy under a smooth tempo, that will smooth out your drive - let the club do the work.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

its a game of repetition - more you play, the better you get ... give it time.    Just swing easy under a smooth tempo, that will smooth out your drive - let the club do the work.

Yeah.. When i was on holiday my swing was smooth and was making a good connection although now that i am back ... I know what i want to do but cant seem to do it .. Think tomorrow i may spend at the driving range

I would think that if you take the lessons first, that might help with the neck and upper back issues.

That is, if they are golf related and you still play golf (which I presume you do based upon some of your posts).

My physical issue is stress related, nothing to do with golf.  Once the issue is corrected, I won't have any excuse of not taking lesson, playing poorly, etc..

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Evening guys, Been playing around 3 months and struggling to get under 100 .. Sometimes my drive is superb other times i just go 100 yards due to bad contact - Main problem has to be my consistency and the  inconsistency in my swing. Putting has improved dramatically after i went out with my girlfriends old man he gave me some tips not holding the club to close to my body and widening my legs etc, from a 9 to PW is where my best shots come from it seems as soon as i go below 8 i start to hit the ground etc... Thats where im at

Get lessons. I went for years without them. Spent a lot of time and money at the range and the course thinking i could figure it out on my own. Your girlfriends father my be a good golfer but what works for him might not work for you. Someone who teaches professionally will be able to help you build the correct fundamentals. This game is really hard and full of opposites. Trouble usually comes in two's, and its very hard to spot by yourself or someone who's not trained to do so.

Get lessons. I went for years without them. Spent a lot of time and money at the range and the course thinking i could figure it out on my own. Your girlfriends father my be a good golfer but what works for him might not work for you. Someone who teaches professionally will be able to help you build the correct fundamentals. This game is really hard and full of opposites. Trouble usually comes in two's, and its very hard to spot by yourself or someone who's not trained to do so.

Yeah that makes sense the tips he gave me where spot on but my biggest issue is with my connection/swing ...   I know what shot i want to hit and what club to hit it with but the execution is all wrong i think i may look at getting some lessons

Yeah that makes sense the tips he gave me where spot on but my biggest issue is with my connection/swing ...   I know what shot i want to hit and what club to hit it with but the execution is all wrong i think i may look at getting some lessons

The sooner you do the sooner you start taking his money!! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissouriHack

The sooner you do the sooner you start taking his money!! lolI

Haha I wish he plays off a 3 .. I can only dream of being that good

You should be cleaning out his wallet if you play handicap match.   With fast improving beginner, he'd need a fatter wallet.  Challenge him to a golf duel and apply that money to golf instructions by pro. :beer:

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

You should be cleaning out his wallet if you play handicap match.   With fast improving beginner, he'd need a fatter wallet.  Challenge him to a golf duel and apply that money to golf instructions by pro.

One day haha!

Welcome to the board.

I wouldn't worry too much at this point.  If you are keeping a real score, breaking 100 is kind of hard.  I find lessons to be money well spent.  For the price of a round of golf, you can make your future rounds more enjoyable.

You didn't mention driver getting you into trouble (only that mishits didn't go far), but if it is, remember that you don't have to hit it.  There are other options for the tee.

It makes sense that the higher numbered clubs are your best ones.  Me too.  And it would be true for most.  The longer the club and the less lofted the club, the harder it is going to be to control it.

I dunno what I'm working on.. just kind of random whack-a-mole stuff I guess, hitting the ball cleanly every time, figuring out how to aim my irons better so I can hit more GIR.  The season is winding down here so I seem to be spending a lot less time at the range and more time making last minute tee times when the weather turns nice for a day.  When I do go to the range though I be sure to hit all my clubs at least once, 10-12 balls per 3-9 iron and driver and 3-5 balls on the wedges and fairway woods.  I haven't really practiced putting because it seems like the quality of greens on whatever course I'm playing have the biggest impact in that regard.

I'm right here with you.

It's hard to get some range time in now because I normally work until 5 and the sun has basically set since then and I'm of the mindset that it's the end of the season and I want to get in as many rounds as I can before the snow comes.

Lately I've been hitting my short irons and wedges really well but my mid and long irons need have been really inconsistent so would probably focus on that.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I wanted to offer a thought on strategy.  I don't largely get involved in actual swing mechanics and such - I more enjoy the strategy discussions. I feel strongly about this applying to we hackers, but it might apply to single digits as well.  Anyway - a buddy and I played this weekend and I realized I had been employing a strategy and had not really ever vocalized it.  He is about a 110 type golfer.

On a shortish par 4, I duffed my drive about 90 yards or something.  We get to my ball and I pull a 5i.  He asks me why I'm going iron when I have so much distance to now cover.  It occurred to me how many times I had seen him go with hybrid/fairway wood after a similar duff.  And many other folks over time.  I think the natural choice after a bad shot is to try to get back all you can in the next shot.  You have to right?  You're at a deficit now. But I'd guess a lot of blow-up holes get started this way.  Duffed drive --> long club off the deck --> now lying 3 in woods, pond, bunker or maybe even a lost ball.  Unless you hit a pretty good shot, I feel a snowman could be coming.

Unless it is really open, I think the smarter play is to lay back here.  Protecting bogey or maybe even double is a safer bet here than trying to get 200+ yards out of a shot and risking more trouble.  A bogey golfer getting that kind of distance off the deck, down the middle, around any trouble sounds risky to me.  And what is the payoff?  Just being closer really.  You still aren't going to green it.

Our normal routine is probably to get on in 3 and 2-putt for bogey.  So:

- At this point, you still have a good chance to do just that with 5i

- Even if you miss the green from 30-70 with your third shot, you are close and still have a chance to get up and down for bogey

- Even if it takes you 4 to get on and you 2-putt, it isn't as bad as it sounds.  You get bogey on most holes anyway, so getting double after a duffed tee shot is pretty much expected.  Make up for it with a par on a hole where you hit a better tee shot

Any thoughts from the bogey gallery?

I would consider doing this but I feel like I make better contact with my 3 and 5 woods over my 5 iron which is my longest iron.  There are times when I hit my 3 wood and it won't go where I want it to go, but I hit it roughly 180-200 and I don't hit my long irons well.  I have to obviously work on hitting my long irons better but for right now, my 5 iron doesn't go very far (maybe 150-160) and depending on the day, my 6 iron will go further.

That being said, I think I'll try and laying up more often and see how it goes.

What really drives up my score, though, is my power fade/slice off the tee.  Not sure why what feels like a natural swing for me slices/power fades and an awkward swing has the ball going straight most of the time.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!