IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

47/41 = 89 at my home course (68.1/118, 6034 yds).  5 pars, 10 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 triple (with a ball in the water).  Couldn't putt to save my life today, 37 putts - maddening.  6 over on the back nine with nothing worse than a bogey.  7 of my last 20 scores have been in the 80s, so I'm hoping to see my handicap drop into the 'teens (for the first time ever!) on tomorrow's revision.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47/41 = 89 at my home course (68.1/118, 6034 yds).  5 pars, 10 bogeys, 2 doubles, 1 triple (with a ball in the water).  Couldn't putt to save my life today, 37 putts - maddening.  6 over on the back nine with nothing worse than a bogey.  7 of my last 20 scores have been in the 80s, so I'm hoping to see my handicap drop into the 'teens (for the first time ever!) on tomorrow's revision.

47+41=88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac62

47+41=88

LOL.  Make that 47 on the front a 48.  GHIN shows me trending to a 19.6 with that score - started the year at 23.1, so things are going in the right direction.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

LOL.  Make that 47 on the front a 48.  GHIN shows me trending to a 19.6 with that score - started the year at 23.1, so things are going in the right direction.

Congrats on hitting the teens!

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I was pretty close to shedding bogey golfer label after recent success in rapidly reducing my HI.   For for the last two months, I have settled into 16.6 - 17.2 HI range. But I think I am close to taking it down to below 16 thereby shedding the bogey golfer label.   Here's my not so serious way to go about achieving sub 16 HI level, even to single digit.  Why not?  Nothing else worked.

1. Distance off tee is a big issue.   Shave my driver face and gain that 10 - 20 yards.  No one needs to know about the legality of the resulting club.  Potential reduction in HI = 1 point.  17 HI --> 16.

2. Play HI favorable courses only.   By now, I have a list of courses that fits my playing style.   Potential reduction in HI = 2 points.  16 HI --> 14.

3. Take 1 mulligan per round. Potential reduction in HI = 1 point.  14HI --> 13.

4. Treat putts < 3 feet as automatic gimmies.  Potential reduction in HI = 1.   13 HI --> 12.

5. Use Polaris Golf Ball to straighten my shots.  No one needs to  know the legality of using the ball.  Potential reduction in HI = 1.   12 HI --> 11.

6. Bring digital label to help with my Aimpoint putting method.  Potential reduction in HI = 1.   11 HI --> 10.

7. When 1 - 6 don't add up, make sure my pencil has an eraser.   10 HI --> single digit.

Voila!

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I thought I was pretty close to shedding bogey golfer label after recent success in rapidly reducing my HI.   For for the last two months, I have settled into 16.6 - 17.2 HI range. But I think I am close to taking it down to below 16 thereby shedding the bogey golfer label.   Here's my not so serious way to go about achieving sub 16 HI level, even to single digit.  Why not?  Nothing else worked.

1. Distance off tee is a big issue.   Shave my driver face and gain that 10 - 20 yards.  No one needs to know about the legality of the resulting club.  Potential reduction in HI = 1 point.  17 HI --> 16.

2. Play HI favorable courses only.   By now, I have a list of courses that fits my playing style.   Potential reduction in HI = 2 points.  16 HI --> 14.

3. Take 1 mulligan per round. Potential reduction in HI = 1 point.  14HI --> 13.

4. Treat putts 12.

5. Use Polaris Golf Ball to straighten my shots.  No one needs to  know the legality of using the ball.  Potential reduction in HI = 1.   12 HI --> 11.

6. Bring digital label to help with my Aimpoint putting method.  Potential reduction in HI = 1.   11 HI --> 10.

7. When 1 - 6 don't add up, make sure my pencil has an eraser.   10 HI --> single digit.

Voila!

This sounds a Star Wars quote is needed. . .

Stay out of the dark side, you don't know it's power. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

...Here's my not so serious way to go about achieving sub 16 HI level, even to single digit.  Why not?  Nothing else worked.

Temptation is the scourge of the faithless...

Proverbs 10:9 (KJV)
9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.

You and I both know that perseverance is the key to success! O:)

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

At this point, I just have to reduce one blow up hole per round to break down into the 80's and drop out of the 20+ HC range. Just one... Should be easy, right? I've only been at this point for over 2 years now, if only I would just keep practicing and doing drills through the winter so I don't restart my progress every year I might actually do it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

At this point, I just have to reduce one blow up hole per round to break down into the 80's and drop out of the 20+ HC range. Just one... Should be easy, right? I've only been at this point for over 2 years now, if only I would just keep practicing and doing drills through the winter so I don't restart my progress every year I might actually do it.

One or two blowup holes sounds like a mindset issue more so than a skills issue?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

...Here's my not so serious way to go about achieving sub 16 HI level, even to single digit.  Why not?  Nothing else worked.

Temptation is the scourge of the faithless...

Proverbs 10:9 (KJV)

9 He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known.

You and I both know that perseverance is the key to success!

Amen to that.   I think I can break below 16 HI if I can keep adding new skills while retaining old ones.   It's easier said than done given limited practice time while holding down a full time job.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

One or two blowup holes sounds like a mindset issue more so than a skills issue?

No, skill, I don't get angry about them any more. Just have holes where my ball just "walkabout" on me :-)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm in a league at a par 3 course, played the first four holes yesterday at +7. Played the last five holes at -1. Ended up with a respectable 33. Bogey golf is such a roller coaster sometimes. I love it though.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Anybody can make pars going down the center of the fairway. Varying between brain dead and spastic, I shot 41-49 for a ninety last Friday, and hit no more than three or four GIR all day (two on the front nine). I one-putted 4 of the first 5 greens, and began getting funny looks from playing partner. I told him that when my putting came back to Earth, combined with my recently acquired habit of hitting the ball high off the toe of the club, it would revert to its normal overall ugly, inconsistent, highly annoying style of play.

A ninety for me is very good, and it's amazing how ragged it looked and felt. It felt like 100. This game is too hard. I'd be awful skinny if I did it for a living.

Shot 71 today................   on a Par 58 Executive Course, 2900 yards. Nine Pars, and five bogeys. Had 4 putts lip out. Hit about nine GIRs, a couple of FIRs. Took one "poison ivy drop." It was under 98 degrees, so it could have easily been worse. Funny how I can play decent from 150 yards in on this course, then get on a regulation-length course and struggle from 150 yards in. Think it has something to do with swinging easy, and of course, teeing it up,  if only a little.

My last 5 scores: 93-92-92-93-94.   I have never been this consistent for any 5 round sequence.   Hoping to break the consistency this weekend.

• Upvote 2

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My last 5 scores: 93-92-92-93-94.   I have never been this consistent for any 5 round sequence.   Hoping to break the consistency this weekend.

Guessing the CR/slope are 72/130? So, what are you hoping to improve to break this consistency?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Guessing the CR/slope are 72/130? So, what are you hoping to improve to break this consistency?

Better course management & avoiding mental lapse on a few ball strikes which end up being OB, ball in hazard, or lost ball.   They lead to blow up holes and that's doing a lot of damage.   No practice regimen is going to suddenly improve my score other than that.   I am just about to step out for my round.  Will see if I can stay sharp for all 18 holes.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1049 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!