IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've only been able to play my front 9 at my home course because the back doesn't handle rain too well and its been a wet stretch here in Michigan. Well the front is much easier than the back but I've been scoring in the 39-43 range with only one 45 so far in the dozen or so 9s I've played. I don't see it being an issue keeping that up throughout the summer so with how much I've improved I'm hoping to be able to shoot 45 or better on the back which would put me under 90 which I would be ecstatic about since last year I was happy to break 100 and was generally over 110. My main thing is that I cannot find a fairway to save my life I shot a 42 yesterday and only hit 1 fairway but still had 4 GIR and put the par 3 to about 10" away. I have a major issue with trying to muscle up when I hit my woods and it leads to either a slice or I top the ball. I know exactly what the issue is but once I'm on the tee box I cant help myself. I feel like if I could even straighten out my 3 wood which I carry 220 and just find like 4 fairways a round I could shave 3 or so strokes off which is frustrating because I just cant help but swing out of my shoes. Its only with the woods too I feel I have pretty good rhythm with my irons and I'm fairly consistent which just makes it more frustrating.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 for 9 holes. After yesterday's round I think I'll lighten my bag by leaving the clubs I can't hit well at home. My driver was golden except for the couple times it hit a branch on a tree and dropped down in play. Aside from the breakfast ball on the first tee (which I also screwed up) with my four iron and the entire first hole that it took to get used to hitting off that unfamiliar surface called grass, I would have broken 50 easily. 

But as usual it was my fairway wood that was the worst. Honestly I don't even know why I bother with them. I only use them on the par 5s and they're typically my worst shots of the round advancing the ball up close enough to where I can hit a 6 iron, unless I get lucky and catch it. That happens about 20% of the time. It's the same with the hybrids. So why even bother carrying them when I can hit my 6 iron further? The goal is to advance the ball, right? 

Okay you'll say "practice with them" - yeah off a mat. So I get good off a mat, then I have to learn how to hit them off grass. That's about 5 shots per week. It's not going to happen. The same with the hybrids. I'll never get good with these clubs unless I play every day or hit my tee shots off the deck with them. There's an idea. That's about the only way I can get practice.

Getting used to hitting off grass after a winter of practice on mats - take an extra club. It's not that I was hitting fat. You know here's the thing they don't address on Youtube. They talk about that mats are forgiving. But the ground feels different under your feet. And the ball responds differently. You lose about 8 - 10 yds. from the mats on the range. Trackman verifies this. 

Then there's my feet.... I think I've walked my last round. I couldn't make 18 holes. My feet were killing me when I walked across the parking lot to the 10th hole. I turned around and went to my car.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I hadn't broken 90 at my home club (Fountaingrove in Santa Rosa) since joining in February of last year.  I took the game back up after about 6 years of not playing at all (with the exception of the odd scramble), and had been knocking at the door since last summer.  Scored 90 at Old Greenwood up in Tahoe last June (with a front 9 41), a 92 at the Olympic Lake Course (with a front 9 42), a 90 at my home course from the tips (135 slope rating, 73.1 CR), and 89 at Sonoma Golf Club, but couldn't crack 90 at home.

Until Saturday.  86, with a 7 on the par 4 18th.  Played one up from the tips (132 slope, 71.2 CR).  Yes, I choked coming in, but at least I shot in the 80s! 

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2016 at 0:06 PM, tdiii said:

Until Saturday.  86, with a 7 on the par 4 18th.  Played one up from the tips (132 slope, 71.2 CR).  Yes, I choked coming in, but at least I shot in the 80s! 

Yes, good going!

I have been struggling with my drives.  It kept me from lowering my HI.  Once I figure out what's wrong with it, I think I can get my HI to 14s.   I suspect I am trying to swing too fast.   Other parts of my game are holding steady.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My daughter just shot 47 from the white tees with punched greens with 20 putts. Her driver is coming around. Her longest drive was 246 yards. She's getting used to the 55gm R flex cut 1.5" Cobra Fly-Z driver.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My daughter just shot 47 from the white tees with punched greens with 20 putts. Her driver is coming around. Her longest drive was 246 yards. She's getting used to the 55gm R flex cut 1.5" Cobra Fly-Z driver.

She might need to be booted from the "bogey golfers only" thread soon, if her progress keeps up. :beer: 

TBH, I missed that you had a golfing daughter, somehow. I recall you talking of your son, but this post came as a surprise. Great to hear!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

5 hours ago, RandallT said:

She might need to be booted from the "bogey golfers only" thread soon, if her progress keeps up. :beer: 

TBH, I missed that you had a golfing daughter, somehow. I recall you talking of your son, but this post came as a surprise. Great to hear!

Thanks, it was her best long game in a while after changing her driver.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 11/1/2013 at 9:00 AM, rkim291968 said:

I think there are many of us here who have started golf late in life, and struggling to break away from playing bogey golf and join the golf elite.   I am starting a thread for bogey golfers to share their ideas and experience.   Tell us what you are going through, working on, any sob stories you like to share, ....

I'm quoting the OP because his post pretty much describes where I am right now.  I played some when I was in my 20s and early 30s, but gave up the game for quite a few years.  I began golfing again last year again.  I generally play only 9 holes at a time, and have carded some decent 9 hole scores.  But I don't think I've played a full 18 where I've broken 90 since taking the game up again.  I'm hoping to change that.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

I'm quoting the OP because his post pretty much describes where I am right now.  I played some when I was in my 20s and early 30s, but gave up the game for quite a few years.  I began golfing again last year again.  I generally play only 9 holes at a time, and have carded some decent 9 hole scores.  But I don't think I've played a full 18 where I've broken 90 since taking the game up again.  I'm hoping to change that.  

It's totally possible to change this. Looking forward to following your progress in this thread. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

The last 3 official HI have been 15.8 - 15.8 - 15.5.   I am hoping this trend continues.  The thing that seriously blocks me from going lower on HI is the occasional shanks/duffs which ends up being OB, ball not found, or ball in hazard.   

What's working: driver distance inching up to 230+ yards, bunker, short game

What's not working: 3 hybrid & wood, driver accuracy

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Got out and played 9 holes at 3 different courses over the past three days, and one thing is certain. I have become rusty during the winter months. The only real improvement over last year that I have seen so far is my ability to get off longer and better 2nd shots because of the addition of a hybrid club to my bag since last year. Every area of my game needs work., especially my drives and getting the distance zeroed in on my short game. Last year My short game distances were really decent. This year I am adjusting to a couple of new short irons which weren't included in my bag last season. Once I know what I can expect from the new clubs I've added to my bag I think it will allow me more chances to stick the ball closer to the pin and I will start getting more pars and chances for birdies.

Joined an after work league this year. First round was last Tuesday where I shot a 52. Highest 9 hole score in a long long time. Lost balls, shanks, thin, fat, putting....you name it. No worries it's the first round of the year. 

Working on a few things with Brian from Evolvr. Right arm and right elbow. 

Matt - "I am very happy to be here!"

I just had the most miserable outing in memory. My previous 2 scores were 90/91 on par 72 courses... Saturday however, I managed to play a whole round with not one single, solitary par. It was abysmal. 

Every now and then these kinds rounds come up I suppose, where the wheels completely fall off the wagon, but this one was of spectacular fashion. If I had to blame it on anything, it might be due to lack of sleep the night before and lack of food the day of. But still...

Gonna hit the range a few times this week and try to slow the sense of bleeding. I recently put a driver in the bag, and changed the grip on my putter to oversized... not sure if I like that. Probably gonna take the driver out and might even downsize the putter... maybe

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

2 hours ago, divot dave said:

I just had the most miserable outing in memory.

Every now and then these kinds rounds come up I suppose, where the wheels completely fall off the wagon

I had one of those rounds this morning when I played 9 holes. Today was my 4th golf outing in the last five days. It wasn't until the 3rd hole before I got on track with my driver. Trouble is I was hitting my short irons fat today which caused me to come up short of the greens on many of my 9i - 56 degree wedge shots. On top of that I couldn't buy a putt beyond 5 feet today. In other words my short game which is normally my strong point was my weakest link today.

Edited by 9wood

46 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I had one of those rounds this morning when I played 9 holes. Today was my 4th golf outing in the last five days. It wasn't until the 3rd hole before I got on track with my driver. Trouble is I was hitting my short irons fat today which caused me to come up short of the greens on many of my 9i - 56 degree wedge shots. On top of that I couldn't buy a putt beyond 5 feet today. In other words my short game which is normally my strong point was my weakest link today.

the struggle is real

• Upvote 1

IN MY BAG

11 minutes ago, divot dave said:

the struggle is real

That could be a new catch phrase. It's kind of got a nice ring to it. . .

"Golf is hard"

"Feel's not real".

"Struggle's real"

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

17 minutes ago, Lihu said:

That could be a new catch phrase. It's kind of got a nice ring to it. . .

"Golf is hard"

"Feel's not real".

"Struggle's real"

lol... or

"Feel is not real, but the struggle is"

lmbo... 

IN MY BAG

3 minutes ago, divot dave said:

lol... or

"Feel is not real, but the struggle is"

lmbo... 

That's exactly what I was thinking when you wrote "the struggle is real", that's a great catch phrase.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!