IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New challenge. Back to strategy off of blown or duffed drives.

Skyed the driver! 170 yards into right rough, can't even see the green because of two groups of trees. :-O

Still got 220 yards to the pin. Now what?

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL.   Can someone point Roblar to a double boogey golfer thread, please?

My problem is that I have at least one - usually two - blow-up holes per round.  I'm a single-digit player for the other 16-17 holes. :-P

Were you playing behind me last weekend?

I almost never get to play on the weekend, so that must have been my brother. Actually, he's the 'sucker' that hits the ball long.  If he ever played 'smart', he'd be a single digit.

The water is a lateral, you can take a stroke and drop in the rough if desired. Not too hard to save bogey from there, both my son in law and I have actually made par from there by cutting the corner over the ditches and trees to the 3rd LZ. Wedge close and 1putt. Hero shot, 200 yrd fairway wood from the rough, but has been done.

BTW - We play Stableford, blowups don't hurt so much!

Never played Stableford....  I kind of just like counting up to my own ineptitude - nothing to mask the warts, so to speak.

...snip...

Skyed the driver! 170 yards into right rough, can't even see the green because of two groups of trees.

Super easy.  3-wood.  Aim at the tree on the right edge of the water on the left (you should have a clear shot at it -- just to the left of the clump of trees in front of you) and let your amazingly natural slice :-D bring the ball right up to the green.  Easy birdie opportunity!

• Upvote 1

New challenge. Back to strategy off of blown or duffed drives. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/85999/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/86001/] [/URL] Skyed the driver! 170 yards into right rough, can't even see the green because of two groups of trees. :-O Still got 220 yards to the pin. Now what?

I would hit to the middle of the fairway towards the end of the first LZ in front of the tree to the left with a choked up 9 iron. Then the last shot is an easy PW distance. Hope I would land the green close to the pin for a par putt, or bogey 2 putt. It also depends upon how deep the rough is where I am hitting from and the one between the two LZ. The above assumes deep rough.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lay up. Try to get on in 3.

Lay up to where? Club? Shot shape?

Just interested in how you plan your shot, and where you plan to execute the next from.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Skyed the driver! 170 yards into right rough, can't even see the green because of two groups of trees.

What is your "money" club?   Mine is GW that I can hit 85 - 95 yards consistently.    I will hit 130 yard club for 2nd, GW for the 3rd, and play for two putt or better.   If all goes to plan, I will either par or bogey the hole.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Whatever wedge would leave me just short of the trees on the left side of the fairway, then (if I hit the shot I planned to), I have about 140 left, so a 9-iron from there.

• Upvote 1

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

What is your "money" club?...

Got a couple, both to be evident in future challenge posts.

But now we need some more input from our fellow "bogey men". ;-)

BTW - Good reply - play to your strengths. I take it you faded that 130 yrd iron around the trees, they are rather tall.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Whatever wedge would leave me just short of the trees on the left side of the fairway, then (if I hit the shot I planned to), I have about 140 left, so a 9-iron from there.

Good plan!

But I would need a smooth 7 from 140. You playin' them newfangled lofts or am I just wimpylike? :8)

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Got a couple, both to be evident in future challenge posts.

But now we need some more input from our fellow "bogey men".

BTW - Good reply - play to your strengths. I take it you faded that 130 yrd iron around the trees, they are rather tall.

Ah, trees.  My 130 yard club will go over most trees.   So, I would have to relax on my back swing, and make sure I strike it down and make a good divot.  It's really an easy shot for me.  Besides, I cannot hit an intentional fade unless I have a driver.   I can draw more consistently with most clubs but it's less accurate than straight shot.    I only draw when I absolutely need to.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I would hit to the middle of the fairway towards the end of the first LZ in front of the tree to the left with a choked up 9 iron. Then the last shot is an easy PW distance. Hope I would land the green close to the pin for a par putt, or bogey 2 putt.

It also depends upon how deep the rough is where I am hitting from and the one between the two LZ. The above assumes deep rough.

Good choice, end of LZ is about 100 from center of green which slopes to front. Rough here is usually first cut, 2" or so.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Good plan!

But I would need a smooth 7 from 140. You playin' them newfangled lofts or am I just wimpylike?

I play Cally Razr X clubs, so they are fairly strong but probably not much different than what most bogey golfers are playing...   But nope, you aren't "wimpylike", you just hit different distances with your clubs than I do...    Nothing wimpy about that.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I have been working on getting out of deep bunker.   Unfortunately, my range's sole bunker isn't deep.  So, on top front of the bunker, I place my golf bag to artificially create a high lip (about 7 feet from bottom of the bunker).   Next up on my bunker practice ... getting the distance control instead of just getting the ball out. I prefer sandy after "it's out."  That means, thumping the ball out close to the hole for one putt.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

Lay up. Try to get on in 3.

Lay up to where? Club? Shot shape?

Just interested in how you plan your shot, and where you plan to execute the next from.

Priority #1: I'm not getting tangled in that tree right to the right there

Priority #2: I'm not getting tangled in that tree on the left

Priority #3: Hit a shot that takes advantage of all of the available distance #1 and #2 allow. I won't try to get fancy and hit a slice on this one - but I won't really guard against it either.  Generally, to hit a straight shot or a hook, I have to try to hit a hook - which is my guard against a slice. I'd just drop the guard on it a little.  But that's as far as I'm going with shot shape here.  Hitting shot shapes isn't totally in the wheelhouse of bogey golfers.  As an over 20 HC, I'm a little surprised you asked about it.  Maybe it is your forte.

Then deal with what I've got left.  Hopefully hit the green and one putt (Par!) or two putt for bogey. Worse case scenario - miss the green, chip on and two-putt for double.

I don't want double here (or anywhere), but if you are being realistic - you know that an 18 cap averages higher than bogey on each hole - and 90 is a good score for us.  So you don't want the emotion of how much you hate that double get in the way of getting an unlikely but safe par or more likely a safe bogey or double out of this.

You have already hit into trouble, so you can't really expect to score better than average on this hole.  If you do - great.  In my scenario - I might actually par this thing with no risky shots.  More likely I'll bogey or double.  A score of 90 will be made up of a few pars, lots of bogeys, and a few doubles.  This might be one of my doubles.  But it sure as s#!* isn't going to be a triple or worse. It is hard to shoot 90 with triples.  Pulling a hybrid or 3-wood and trying to get the green from here sounds like triple.

Priority #1: I'm not getting tangled in that tree right to the right there

Priority #2: I'm not getting tangled in that tree on the left

Priority #3: Hit a shot that takes advantage of all of the available distance #1 and #2 allow...

Good reply!

That should get you near the 150 yrd post. A slight fade and a bit more oomph could close that to a bit over 100.

Like you I tend to fade, but with care to setup I can draw. Fade is not necessarily bad in all cases, and can be advantageous.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

A score of 90 will be made up of a few pars, lots of bogeys, and a few doubles.  This might be one of my doubles.  But it sure as s#!* isn't going to be a triple or worse. It is hard to shoot 90 with triples.  Pulling a hybrid or 3-wood and trying to get the green from here sounds like triple.

I am playing a short course that is unforgiving if you miss FW or green.  So, instead of few pars & doubles with lots of bogey, I am getting lots of pars & big numbers.  Getting bogey's have been a rarity in a round.  E.g, yesterday, I had 7 pars and 7 big (double or worse) numbers with just 4 bogeys.   A week ago, I had 8 pars and 8 big numbers with just 2 bogeys.  I just realized that my answers to CR McDivot's have been unconsciously conservative due to my recent struggle on this particular course.   In another course, my par 5 goal would be to get to green in 3 shots comfortably for a sure par.    But good thing is, by the time I get used to the new home course, I will be very accurate with all my shots and be an expert in getting out of huge/deep bunkers & roughs.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

If you have family, job, other time sapping duties and the like then golf is an occasional hobby not your job. I really simplified it for myself this year. Went back over my coaching manual and stuck to that model and basically ignored everything else. Sorry to all you instructors out there!

High handicap mistake listening to all tips for the swing. Get a lesson from one pro or get a book and stick with a method that suits.

No shot shaping and game improvement clubs! I set up the same swing the same and don't alter a thing. I also only hit average distances according to the data. Why do you need to shape most dog legs I don't have the distance to shape around. If I get out of position most times you can scuttle the ball forward enough to give you a shot in or next best thing a fairway lie to limit it to a double.

My clubs are also easy to hit bigger face which equals consistently same distance and tighter dispersion.

Practice wedge shots if you have the space like I do. Just does wonders for your touch. It's a part of the game that a mid handicap will have to rely on unless you can hit the ball 280 plus or you are Nick Faldo with a mid iron. I went from a 28 to a 16 in one year mainly because I learnt to chip well. I did improve my ball striking somewhat but that really gave me looks at greens and brought the short game into play when I missed.

Mental game read Bob Rotella Golf is a Game not Perfect. Really opened my eyes to my sky high expectations and lack of thought on any given hole. Went out and shot 86 after reading this when six months previous I shot 109. Mainly strategy but focusing properly on each shot and embracing every shot wherever I ended up. Turns out that getting out of trouble can be fun and beating your friends on a par 5 teeing off with a 6 iron when they take a 3 Wood and get a 6 to your par. Remember Conservative strategy cocky swing!!

I mean the thing is I could play like this and get down to a 10. Perhaps lower but being as I'm not for a long time going to be investing large amounts of time to golf I'll stick with this current plan as golf is very enjoyable right now.

• Upvote 1

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 1027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!