IGNORED

Mixed bag

Davie81
Note: This thread is 2660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Currently all Callaway in the bag from my custom fit 2 years ago but if I was going to go for new wedges, how would this affect the fitting/shaft etc? Would the length etc just be matched?

The length of your clubs should always stay pretty close to the same, even when switching to other brands. That is, unless you are hitting a growth spurt or aging to the point where you're getting shorter.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A couple of things on switching wedges...

would you keep your Callaway iron set PW?

Basically, if you have the PW already, find a new SW in Company X, and then find a Company X GW which will split the distance difference between PW and SW.

When mixing companies in your bag, one company may have a hotter face on wedges than another. Again, test them out.

As far as overall wedge shaft length, I sent a question to the Tom Wishon site about this. The fitter replied that for wedges, the loft has much more of an influence on distance than the shaft length. (Hence, Mizuno and Tour Edge tend to cut non-PW wedge shafts the same length.) So, be more concerned about how far the ball flies than the shaft lengths.

For example, my Calla X20 Tour PW is 46* loft, and has a 35.75" shaft. So does the Cle CG14 GW (50*) I played. I assumed in initial fitting that I would need the CG in 52*, because of equal shaft length. I was wrong. The 46* hit the ball about 12 yards longer than the 50*, despite equal shaft length. The X20T has a hotter face, and less loft.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

5 hours ago, Davie81 said:

Currently all Callaway in the bag from my custom fit 2 years ago but if I was going to go for new wedges, how would this affect the fitting/shaft etc? Would the length etc just be matched?

If you're being fit, you'll see what configuration(s) work with your irons, regardless of make/model/shaft.

If you're not being fit, hopefully you'll at least be testing everything out at the range yourself to make sure it matches up.  

• 3 weeks later...

If you were fit for your current wedges, then any wedges built to those specs should fit you as well.  There are a couple of things to be aware of though:

Have the lie angle measured and use the actual measurement.  If your current wedges are 66* for example, that's the number you'll use for your new ones.  A lot of guys will say 2* up for example, because it's easier to remember than the actual degrees of all their irons, but because there is no industry standard for loft/lie/length measurements, the stock specs will vary from company to company.

Even if the specs are matched (same loft/lie/length/shaft) there is a chance that the distance you hit your new wedges is a little different due to the design of the head, how aggressive the grooves are or something like that.  If you tend to hit partial shots with your wedges as opposed to full swings, then it won't be an issue.  But if you hit full shots just double check your distances and make sure they are gapped properly.  The end result is what's important, so if the loft needs to be tweaked to get the correct distance, then do it.  Don't feel like your lofts have to be gapped exactly 4* apart or 5* or whatever, depending on the configuration...if the lofts get a little close on two clubs or there is a little bigger gap between two clubs but the distances are correct, that's ok.

If the specs match but the shaft is different, this can affect the trajectory and/or distance.  If you go with a different shaft, just check your yardages.

One thing that can affect the feel is swingweight.  Again, there is no industry standard for swingweight, so it can vary from one manufacturer to another.  There isn't really a right or wrong here, but if something feels "off" with your new wedges but you can't quite put your finger on it, check the swingweight.  I won't go into detail what to do if it's lighter or heavier than your old wedges here since I could write a full page on that alone, but just be aware of it just in case.

Hope this helps.  If you have any questions please let me know.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!