IGNORED

Fast Transition at Top Killing My Game

CarlOwen
Note: This thread is 2629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

Does anyone have any good practice tips on how to slow down the quickness I've developed at the top of my backswing? My PGA instructor has told me so often "stop going after it" but I just cannot consistently stop it. As a result, I don't get weight transfer to the left side properly and/or often pull irons as i am coming across the swing plan due to the very excessive club speed at the top. A typical miss-hit is a pull fade that goes off target about ten yards past the green. Other times, its thin (due to the improper weight transfer) 

When (less than 25%) of the time,  I have a smooth transition at the top, my ball compression and trajectory are extremely good and find myself close to the pin. There are times when I can do this for sometimes a good while, but its fleeting.

So, a typical round will be 80-90% non-par 3's in the fairway (Strangely, it doesn't affect my driver or 3 wood, where I am about 90% straight down the middle with very good length.) THEN two more shots to the green because of the pull or the thin shot, so ironically wedge play has gotten very good for me! I miss most of the par 3 greens unless its thin and I am come in fast and somehow hold on.

During an entire round I will be lucky to hit 3 or 4 greens from the middle of the fairway ranging from 125-175 yards out. So my typical round is about 4-5 pars and mostly bogeys, and an occasional birdie.

My handicap is currently 13

TaylorMade RBZ 3-PW

Titleist wedges 

TaylorMade  woods driver

I struggle with this...can't really offer too much to help...but one thing that helped me a lot is making swings with my lead arm only.   

Maybe luckily for me . .I'm not strong enough to manipulate the club with one arm.  I used to do 1 arm swings from time to time and would rarely ever even hit the ball . . I'd hit the ground, top it really badly or just miss it altogether.  

So for me to swing it with just my lead arm . .I've got to let the club swing.  I can't rush anything . .especially not the transition.  I can feel, swinging with one arm, when the club has reached the end of the backswing and is ready to start moving forwards.  I can't feel this nearly as much with both arms.  

If you already can hit great shots with just your lead arm . .then I don't know...but if not, work on it and it might help.  

• Upvote 1

• iacas changed the title to Fast Transition at Top Killing My Game
3 hours ago, Hatchman said:

I understand.   Just a thought.  What's your first conscious move starting the downswing?  

It depends on the golfer. Some people will like the feel of their hands going down faster. Others might need to feel something more body oriented. Others might not even think about it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hatchman,

I can't say I really have a thought, save for just trying to remind myself to slow down.

BTW, I mischaracterized the missed shot as a pull fade, I meant to say a pull draw.

the majority of miss hits are pulled left of the green or as i mentioned are thin and straight. Perhaps I am lucky but fades and slices are not part of my repertoire. 

rainmaker,

are you suggesting that perhaps my right arm (which is obviously stronger) is sort of leading the way and overpowering the need for the left to lead the way? 

TaylorMade RBZ 3-PW

Titleist wedges 

TaylorMade  woods driver

Carl.   Sometimes rereading posts (own and others) help reveal things to me.  I like what @saevel25 stated about my questing of feel, depending on the golfer.  You mention thought.   If I slow into a slightly bad path or just fast it where I pull,  the results might not be desirable.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!