IGNORED

Help needed with golf grip

Note: This thread is 2654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys, I've been golfing for about 4 years and looking to improve. I'm a left handed golfer with limited mobility and feeling in my right thumb due to a car accident in 2005. I'm only able to open my thumb about 30 degrees, which I think hurts my game but I'm not sure if it's just in my mind. My ball flight is a pull slice. My questions is what parts of the swing are impacted by the right hand (Left Hand for Righty)?

35 minutes ago, Mistabigevil said:

Hi guys, I've been golfing for about 4 years and looking to improve. I'm a left handed golfer with limited mobility and feeling in my right thumb due to a car accident in 2005. I'm only able to open my thumb about 30 degrees, which I think hurts my game but I'm not sure if it's just in my mind. My ball flight is a pull slice. My questions is what parts of the swing are impacted by the right hand (Left Hand for Righty)?

What do you mean by this? Could you maybe take a picture of your hand with your thumb out to its limit?

In my uneducated opinion, the top hand thumb isn't as important as the bottom hand thumb, but I've been known to be and frequently am wrong.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, Hatchman said:

Hello @Mistabigevil.  Sorry to hear about the accident and glad your ok.  How do you hold or grip a golf club typically as a starting point, maybe?  

I was using a strong right hand grip, but found it to be more comfortable by also strengthening my left hand also which helped my ball striking. My driver clubhead speed is 90-95. Let me know if I can provide anymore info. 

To me, the limited movement of the thumb should have negligible effect. An example given by Hogan indicates that he advocates a sort of pincer between thumb and the knuckle of your fore finger in which he held the thumb tightly against the knuckle. In your case, it would mean that the only limitation might be if placing the thumb on top of the grip, but if I understand you correctly, your left thumb is more to the side. In any event, there does not seem to be any restriction. You might also experiment with a base ball grip either separated or closed.

I have the opposite problem in that I can not close my thumb completely owing to a condition known as DePuytrins Contraction. (or something like that).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Like @Hacker James suggested I might try a few small swings using a modified baseball type grip.  I use this set up but there are several things I've come to realize about it I must watch as each hand may act more independently.   One check I do is hit balls single handed to see the predominance.  I'm left hand dominant for sure.

11 hours ago, Mistabigevil said:

1484783953721446336456.jpg

I think it really depends on how you set you right hand on the club when gripping. There is a term about thumb length in the top hand of your grip, short v. long thumb. The photo below shows the difference.

Thumb 1.jpg

With your mobility, you may be restricted with the hand flat, but on the club, with fingers curled, you may be able to increase the length of the thumb. The top thumb can affect the amount of hinging in your swing.

thumb 2.jpg

That being said, the thumb position can vary and you can still succeed. Today's pros have a variety of grips and amount of hinge and are successful. Steve Stricter barely hinges his club in the back swing. Phil Mickelson hinges a lot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!