IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

saevel25
Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

People were saying they didn't like Luke's Matrix move. That was awesome. Now that you know he was throwing an image of himself, it doesn't sound incomprehensible.

Yea, I did think of the Matrix on that one. He would probably do it anyways. Remember when he was battling Rey, and she pulled the lightsaber to her. He stumbled backwards, but caught himself from slamming into the rocks by using the force. I could see him pulling off the Matrix move using the force.

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

So 7 the focus was on Han, 8, Luke, 9 was meant for Leia, RIP. I wouldn't be so upset if they got someone else to play her and continued with their long term story plan if they have one

Yea, this is going to be a tough one. I could see them going down the CG route. They did a heck of a job with Rogue One. I could see them doing CG with her transcending to becoming a force ghost.

My concern is that J.J. Abrams will just go down the route of Episode 7. I really wished they found someone else besides him. I really do not want another bigger weapon movie.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

So 7 the focus was on Han, 8, Luke, 9 was meant for Leia, RIP.

I don't think the "focus" was on Han at all. Or Luke, in this one.

It has been on Rey the entire time, with Kylo Ren being second.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think the "focus" was on Han at all. Or Luke, in this one.

It has been on Rey the entire time, with Kylo Ren being second.

Very true. Make that past stars focus - as a way to pull in the older demographic.

28 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, I did think of the Matrix on that one. He would probably do it anyways. Remember when he was battling Rey, and she pulled the lightsaber to her. He stumbled backwards, but caught himself from slamming into the rocks by using the force. I could see him pulling off the Matrix move using the force.

You're right. Luke "knows" he's fast. :-P

28 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, this is going to be a tough one. I could see them going down the CG route. They did a heck of a job with Rogue One. I could see them doing CG with her transcending to becoming a force ghost.

My concern is that J.J. Abrams will just go down the route of Episode 7. I really wished they found someone else besides him. I really do not want another bigger weapon movie.

It'll be interesting to see what he does, he has a reputation for starting a lot of things and letting other people finish them, Lost, cough cough - this time, he's finishing. I'm guessing he'll have a lot of help, maybe he can enlist Kasdan again.

I think I read episode 9 will be the final one for Rey, not sure about Kylo/Ben, but looks that way, the Rian Johnson trilogy will be all new.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This tweet thread is interesting:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

So,  the movie left me with a sour taste in my mouth for many reasons.

Why not let Leia die?  No idea why or how she suddenly is so strong with the force to be shot out into space and then return and what for?

She has really zero relevance in these movies now anyways.

I didn’t necessarily need a back story for Snoke but just when I started to like him a bit BOOM slashed in half.

I really liked the code breaker.  Great job on his part.

Mark Hamill surprised me;  I expected much less to be honest and I liked what he did.  

Ok so Driver sucks at being a villain.  I can’t buy into him at all and since the next one hinges on him and Rey I must ask myself do I care enough to watch?

IMO this was so much potential wasted by bad decisions on plot.

Ultimately Luke meditates to death?  (I don’t have a real problem with the idea of him being gone,  but I would have preferred to see kind of a four way showdown in the next one with Luke Snoke Rey and Kylo.

I don’t like the force for everyone concept.  Understanding and utilizing the force takes hard work.  It’s like trophies for everyone.

This movie had greater potential than this.

I will be watching again to go back over it but it looks to me like this is the last one for me.

I like Rey,  but she needed to be given more in this one to build her up for the last one.  

I guess Hamill said you can’t catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Ultimately where is it at going forward?  Abrams is going to have a very tough time doing much in the next movie IMO.  

These last movies needed much better villains imo.  

Just when Snoke showed some crazy skills he’s cut down in a moment of distraction?  I

The levels of mastery of both sides of the force mean nothing now.  It’s for everyone yay

Edited by Jack Watson

Really good flick!

The dusting off the shoulder after being blasted by a dozens of high powered weapons was a nice touch. “Enough!...did you think you got him?” :-D

Those red guys we’re pretty strong, were they dark side Jedi or something?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

11 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Why not let Leia die?  No idea why or how she suddenly is so strong with the force to be shot out into space and then return and what for?

She died after the movie was finished. Could they have called people back for reshooting a lot of the scenes, sure. It might not have been possible due to scheduling. 

No, she has always had force powers. She is Luke's twin sister. I think it is a bad assumption to make that she would not be powerful. This could have easily been her subconscious keeper her alive by activating the force. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Ok so Driver sucks at being a villain.  I can’t buy into him at all and since the next one hinges on him and Rey I must ask myself do I care enough to watch?

IMO this was so much potential wasted by bad decisions on plot.

I was talking to my friends with this. We think that there will be a big twist in this. I wouldn't take this movie straight for what they showed you. A lot of this movie had misdirection. There was a lot of choices made that make me think that things are not what they seem. 

The movie started with Poe trolling Hux. I wonder if that is the theme that was meant to travel through story. You may think you know what is going on, but you do not. Heck, in interviews Rian Johnson has said he purposely made some scenes look like Empire Strikes Back just to flip the script on it's head. I wouldn't take this move at face value. 

15 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

I don’t like the force for everyone concept.  Understanding and utilizing the force takes hard work.  It’s like trophies for everyone.

Not everyone has the force. Also, it is cannon that young force users are known to activate the force with out knowing exactly what they are doing. Naturally pulling a broom towards himself would be very much acceptable. 

The force was never just a bloodline thing anyways. People may think so because the main story has always been viewed towards the Skywalkers. 

19 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Ultimately Luke meditates to death?  (I don’t have a real problem with the idea of him being gone,  but I would have preferred to see kind of a four way showdown in the next one with Luke Snoke Rey and Kylo.

Luke, created a copy of himself on a another planet. This was not just meditation. This put a ton of strain on Luke.

Kylo even said that Rey would be dead if she tried to connect the way they did from across the galaxy. They were even physically touching hands. This was aided by Snoke.

Luke probably did something more impressive, actually create a copy of himself. He was able to physically interact with Leia and give her a copy of the dice (which Kylo finds and then they disappear). 

Yea, this was not just meditation. The strain cost him his life. He was already prepared to die anyway. He was able to find peace after years of suffering. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

12 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

as talking to my friends with this. We think that there will be a big twist in this. I wouldn't take this movie straight for what they showed you. A lot of this movie had misdirection. There was a lot of choices made that make me think that things are not what they seem. 

The movie started with Poe trolling Hux. I wonder if that is the theme that was meant to travel through story. You may think you know what is going on, but you do not. Heck, in interviews Rian Johnson has said he purposely made some scenes look like Empire Strikes Back just to flip the script on it's head. I wouldn't take this move at face value. 

I want to think this.

What would be cool is if Rey never met Luke in person at all!

The thing that keeps me from getting onboard with your ideas is that if it’s all illusory then aren’t we just in the Matrix?  A persons ability to be in touch with and utilize the force needs some limitations imo or it doesn’t work.

As a fan I need hope.  I will see it again to see if I notice some different details...

7 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

The thing that keeps me from getting onboard with your ideas is that if it’s all illusory then aren’t we just in the Matrix?  A persons ability to be in touch with and utilize the force needs some limitations imo or it doesn’t work

Huh? 

This is Star Wars not the Matrix. 

The limitations on the Force have never been defined. 

What is a fact is that Rey and Kylo touched hands. Luke was able to make a copy of himself on another planet. A copy that was able to touch and interact with his twin sister. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Huh? 

This is Star Wars not the Matrix. 

The limitations on the Force have never been defined. 

What is a fact is that Rey and Kylo touched hands. Luke was able to make a copy of himself on another planet. A copy that was able to touch and interact with his twin sister. 

I guess what I should have asked is what aspects do you think may be misdirection?  What I was trying to say was that I have enjoyed seeing that in these movies there are many levels of people’s force using skill.  There’s always kind of the top dog for darkness as well as light.  I don’t know if I am prepared to look at Kylo and Rey as the top dogs,  and I personally think they are expanding what’s possible through force use at a rapid pace.  

Also I have to watch again but on first take it appeared to me that Yoda as a ghost was able to have a lightning bolt destroy the Jedi tree.  That opens up a ton of possibility.  Luke also said something about people never really being gone.

My matrix comment is kind of like once you get to some point where anything is possiible through force use like resurrection ghosts creating force lightning etc then it will get pretty boring (just my opinion.)  I liked that it comes out that Snoke made Rey and Kylos connection possible and also that he was easily able to neutralize Rey.  

I loved the humor in this one.  I am a sucker for Star Wars humor and they did a great job on that imo.

Effects were awesome.  I wish Chewie would have eaten the bird.  If Luke is gone I am ok with it.   I can see the argument that he was ready to go anyways.  It was just...That was like the coolest thing ever when you see he was really still on the island and then it was like the worst ever when he just vanished.   He was responsible for Palpatines demise  so Rey got Snoke.  

Loved Poe messin with Hux and also Luke tossing the saber over his shoulder.  Those were genius moments.  Great scene where Rey and Kylo blow up the lightsaber too.  I even chuckled when Luke slapped Rey’s hand.

I was thinking during the film that the purple haired girl was a spy and Poe was gonna expose her and there was some weird female bonding there that I felt was kinda unneeded.  

As I see it though I have to ask what you think might be misdirection espesciallysince I am going to watch it again.

What might we have to look forward to?

Help me Saevel25 you’re my only hope :-)

13 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

What I was trying to say was that I have enjoyed seeing that in these movies there are many levels of people’s force using skill.  

Force Awakens you have; Leia, Luke, Snoke, Kylo, Rey
The Last Jedi; Leia, Luke, Snoke, Kylo, Rey, The stable boy
Rogue One; The bling guy

There isn't a big list here. Of course there are probably still Jedi in hiding from the galactic empire days.

The Force was never limited to just Jedi.

18 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

There’s always kind of the top dog for darkness as well as light.  I don’t know if I am prepared to look at Kylo and Rey as the top dogs,  and I personally think they are expanding what’s possible through force use at a rapid pace.

I don't think what they added was anything way out there. The only thing they added was being able to project your body onto another planet, but that comes at a great cost, especially to an old Jedi. Then linking two very powerful Jedi together in some sort of telepathy.

I never thought they went overboard with it.

24 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

My matrix comment is kind of like once you get to some point where anything is possiible through force use like resurrection ghosts creating force lightning etc then it will get pretty boring (just my opinion.)  

Force Ghost isn't resurrection. Come on, it's Yoda. He gets to troll his student from time to time ;)

27 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

What might we have to look forward to?

No clue. I don't tend to ponder the possibilities. Then I don't get upset when I watch the next movie.

I see two options

1. Snoke isn't actually dead. I talk to a friend of mine about this. It is interesting.
2. Kylo will be the main bad guy and the ending is Kylo versus Rey. I am kinda hoping for this ending. My one friend hates Kylo. He comes from a history of reading DC and Marvel comics. He is use to the over powered final boss scenario. I wouldn't mind this being on a much smaller, personal level. I am hoping they do not try to have the redemption theme for Kylo.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That's the thing. I can't figure out if the link between Kylo and Rey is as cousins? Her dad was likely someone they knew. Originally I though Luke for sure. They had 2 scenes where Kylo and Rey linked together just as Luke and Leia did. I thought they were cousins from Han/Leia->Kylo and Luke and some planetary hooker-> Rey or something? :-D

Snoke stated that as Kylo's strength increased, so does Rey's. Light and Dark are in balance or something to that effect?

But then Luke said in once scene that the force is not just something the Jedi had but was all around us as in there was not just one person who can control it.

So that kid with the ring in the end might become a follower of Rey, and there might be some evil kid who would veer towards Kylo? The thing I wonder is if we're ready for another 20 episodes of star wars? It seems to be becoming like a Soap Opera?

I was a kid when my grandparents took me to the first Star Wars, and now I can picture me taking my grand kids to some future wave of them. :-D

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

The thing I wonder is if we're ready for another 20 episodes of star wars

The actress for Rey says she is not doing another Star Wars movie.

Rian Johnson is going to start on another Star Wars trilogy not related to anything that has been done before with the Skywalker plot lines.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

1. Snoke isn't actually dead. I talk to a friend of mine about this. It is interesting.

He's dead. C'mon.

I saw this last night.  It was awful.  The plot and screen write was by far the worst of the series..and that says a lot.  At least the prequels had a star wars aura about them.  This movie had a b movie plot with big budget and the name star wars taped on it.  If it did not, it would be a straight to Netflix flick.  

Since when do star wars ships require fuel?  -  Maybe I am wrong, but I cannot remember in any of the movies beforehand that fuel was a necessary component to the ships flying.  What a dumb premise to put the 'good guys' in a predicament.  It seemed to be added to make the crummy plot convenient.  The B Plot seemed to just be there to shoehorn FIN into the movie.  At the end of the flick, essentially nothing changes except we lose more classic characters without moving the Star Wars plot along any further.  I left the movie thinking that is the last time I go to the theaters to watch another Star Wars movie.  The next one will simply have to wait until its on Amazon or whatever.  Piss poor..

A little off topic, I did "napkin" calculations, conservatively guessing that the 4 billion dollars Di$ney paid for Star Wars rights should pay off by the time Rian Johnson is in the middle of his trilogy. I suspect Di$ney will be smart enough not to dilute the Star Wars brand with but I dunno, what it's doing with Marvel (yeah, I skip all the comic book movies now, just way too much, well, except Ragnorak), maybe not so much. 

Steve

Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!