IGNORED

My Swing (JDP)

JDP
Note: This thread is 2756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

sry, noobie on the site and probably making uber mistakes

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 yrs
My current handicap index or average score is: handicap is 1 but avg. score is higher more like 76 avg.
My typical ball flight is: able to work ball either way but favor a hold push fade with lower clubs and draw with longer
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: TOE shots!!

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (JDP)

Welcome, @JDP!

Welcome to swing threads! Since you feel like a newbie here, here are some good resources:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing (at the bottom of this link you'll see how to align camera- in case you need a reminder about our guidance)

Since you're already a pretty skilled player, can you let us know what you want to get out of this. For example: 

1. Are you seeing an instructor, or are you hoping for some ideas from folks here?
  2. What is it that you're working on now? (in our lingo, your priority?)

You'll find that folks here are pretty deferential to your instructor (if you have one) and won't necessarily contradict the instruction you are getting, but if it's obvious to the experts here that things are heading in a questionable direction with your instructor, they might make their thoughts known. It's always best that you have as much info as possible to decide yourself if you are heading in the right direction. 

The way these threads generally work is that you'll get some stragglers here to welcome you. You might get noticed by some who are confident providing information to skilled players, but those odds go way up if you make yourself at home here on the site and contribute in other topics.  We have some fraction of people who are here strictly for themselves, and over time, their swing threads typically dry up. Basically, we all get out of the site mostly what we put into it.

Good luck!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Welcome, @JDP!

Welcome to swing threads! Since you feel like a newbie here, here are some good resources:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing (at the bottom of this link you'll see how to align camera- in case you need a reminder about our guidance)

Since you're already a pretty skilled player, can you let us know what you want to get out of this. For example: 

1. Are you seeing an instructor, or are you hoping for some ideas from folks here?
  2. What is it that you're working on now? (in our lingo, your priority?)

You'll find that folks here are pretty deferential to your instructor (if you have one) and won't necessarily contradict the instruction you are getting, but if it's obvious to the experts here that things are heading in a questionable direction with your instructor, they might make their thoughts known. It's always best that you have as much info as possible to decide yourself if you are heading in the right direction. 

The way these threads generally work is that you'll get some stragglers here to welcome you. You might get noticed by some who are confident providing information to skilled players, but those odds go way up if you make yourself at home here on the site and contribute in other topics.  We have some fraction of people who are here strictly for themselves, and over time, their swing threads typically dry up. Basically, we all get out of the site mostly what we put into it.

Good luck!

Thx Randal. I look forward to contributing to the site in any way i can. My mind is open. If there is an instructor out there that can help me I'm more than willing to go down that road. 

• Administrator

Right elbow over-bends, gets too high, points behind you rather than down and back toward the camera.

Compare the angles of the right forearm in this picture:

01.jpg

Then compare the pitch of the elbows here and its effect on the shaft's ability to lay down a little bit.

02.jpg

I wouldn't worry about your head movement off the all just yet.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks I really appreciate you taking a look and the feedback. Just making sure I understand what you mean by right elbow over bends. I'm pretty sure you mean I am losing width, is that correct?

• Administrator

It may bend past 90°. It may also just be the camera angle. Change where it points, and if it's bending past 90°, bend it a bit less, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Just do it. Change the picture.

Like that.

I feel you. At some point it boils down to disciplined practice. I don't really care if i shank, top, basically what happens at the driving range if I am truly working on making the correct things, thats what the range is for. I thank you for pointing out this fault as it has been looming on my mind, not sure if that is the proper explanation, but now I feel comfortable and confident focusing on 1 area. thx! 

• Administrator

Practice properly. Not sure what you want anyone to look at there, but since they're all basically full swings at full speed, the flaw is still going to be exactly the same.

Hey Erik, documenting for my progress basically, but any input is very much appreciated, so ty for taking the time. BTW i do lots of slo-mo swings up to full swings, mirror work and video work. You mentioned you feel my right elbow is a flaw and I agree with you at the top it is. I was checking to see video after changing a few positions at setup. Not a fan of the length of the swing a bit sloppy but I will work on that. It was very windy and cold today but still digging it out.

Below is a crop of the position at the top of my BS P4 then P4.ish. It appears to me the positions seem fine. Do you see something else there? I feel a 1 big issue for me is firing my right hip too early 

top of BS.PNG

P4.5ISH.PNG

This pic is clearing since I am wearing short sleeve -P4. Need work on more width for sure, but looks decent 

p4.PNG

Edited by JDP

Erik, this question may be very difficult, but picking the brain of the guru. I am really trying to get a better understanding of ways to clear the left hip so nicely with keeping the right hip back. I'm thinking it is to externally rotate the right hip while the left hip externally rotates, so duel external rotationion. Please tell if I am way off there. I am really struggling with this move. I'm not EEing but I feel like I can only clear my left hip back n away if my right hip starts to internally rotate and thrust early, its really frustrating. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JDP said:

Below is a crop of the position at the top of my BS P4 then P4.ish. It appears to me the positions seem fine. Do you see something else there? I feel a 1 big issue for me is firing my right hip too early 

top of BS.PNG

Look at where the club is pointing versus where your feet are pointing. The right forearm is still angled inward a bunch, and the right elbow still pointing behind you.

I don't think I'd work on your hips right now. It's plenty cleared:

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-13%20at%209.52.3

PGA Tour average there is 40°. You're there.

48 minutes ago, JDP said:

Erik, this question may be very difficult, but picking the brain of the guru. I am really trying to get a better understanding of ways to clear the left hip so nicely with keeping the right hip back.

You're going to have a hard time not early extending when you get to that A4/A5 position.

48 minutes ago, JDP said:

I'm thinking it is to externally rotate the right hip while the left hip externally rotates, so duel external rotationion. Please tell if I am way off there. I am really struggling with this move. I'm not EEing but I feel like I can only clear my left hip back n away if my right hip starts to internally rotate and thrust early, its really frustrating. 

I wouldn't worry about your hips right now.

I can get the club to appear more laid off or on plane so to speak vs. crossed up/across the line. The below is a 8 iron swing

This swing doesn't cross the line and of course it wouldn't appear that way is it is only 3/4 of the way to parallel, but it appears to look solid even so. However, I feel my elbow is too far behind and I think this is due to my left arm running across my chest too much going back. I'm missing the lift with my left arm, do you agree? I mean I think i would go Doug Sanders if i keep the right elbow pointed down if i continued the BS. My hand depth is pretty deep looking and this is just an 8 iron. Would you suggest trying more left arm vertical lift? I'm looking for some ideas to get this feeling 

Note: This thread is 2756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!