IGNORED

Goals for 2008

FIJIGolf23
Note: This thread is 5656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long-term, I'm still hoping to shoot sub-85 before the year is out.

Short-term, I'm hoping that in the Scramble I am going to be in on the 15th at Pacific Grove Municipal (just north of Pebble Beach) we'll be using at least 1/4 of my shots. The last one I was in years ago, we used my 4 drives we HAD to use and a few puuts and miracle shots. I'm playing well this year so I hope to see a lot more of my shots used.

Would like to see my wife shoot at least a couple more rounds under 100 before we put the clubs away for the winter too.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

To lay the foundation. I'm new here, 33 yrs old, and was exposed to golf early. After watching the number of 75 year olds out there kick my ass, I decided this is one game I love. The prospect of just getting better, of the longevity of the game (I hope) is inspiring.

Clubs:

Wedges: Mizuno MP Wedges 52 and 58 degree
Irons: Wilson Staff Ci7
Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech OS 3Woods: Taylor Made R7 draw 3-woodDriver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 Regular 10.5Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

Short term goal: Improve course management, and putting

Long term goal: Improve handicap to be able to play in the US Open Qualifier, US Pub-Links Qualifier, and US Amateur Qualifier next season

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Long Term - improve my swing (good, repeatable swing) and ball contact as well as feel comfortable hitting every club and knowing the approximate distance of each. Also spending more time on my short game, and actually playing courses rather than nothing but range time.

Short Term (6-8 months) - continue practicing (twice a week at the range, and lessons) in hopes of feeling comfortable enough with my swing/shots to play the new Arnold Palmer designed course at N.C. State when it opens (est. Spring 2009 )

Burner - Driver
Burner - 3 wood
19 deg. & 22 deg. Rescue
Wrath 5-PW irons
CG14 52, 56, and 60 deg. wedges Rossa Daytona putter

Improve my short game and improve my up and down percentage from 40% to 70%

1) chipping around the green
2) pitch shot within 50 yards
3) confidence to make putts within 5 feet
4) lag putting, distance control, eliminate 3 putts

Work on the above 4 strokes and I believe my score will improve consistently week by week.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Well, I'm a little late jumping in on this thread, but I figured I'd post anway with what my 2008 goals were (since cold weather is right around the corner) and if I accomplished them.

1. Practice with a purpose. Accomplished this goal. Worked much harder on my short game rather than simply mindlessly beating balls at the range.

2. 70 yards and in, practice, practice, practice. Accomplished this goal to satisfactory level for this year. I'm to the point where I'm more comfortable with these odd distances and have shown glimpses of being deadly.

3. Become a better thinker on the course. I've begun to really concentrate on thinking my way around the course. Looking at were I want to be on each hole and where I don't want to be and swinging with those two in mind so that if I miss, I give myself the best chance to save par or at worst bogey.

4. Control emotions. This is still a work in progress. I still have fits of rage at times on the course, especially when I'm playing nowhere near up to my ability, but it's very rare these days. I'm starting to learn that the more I keep my composure the better I play.

5. One sub 70 round. I accomplished this goal as a few weeks ago I shot a -7, 65 at Kearney Hill Golf Links from the blue tees. Sad part is that I missed three 4 footers for birdie, but nonetheless accomplished my goal and I'll be looking for more sub 70's in the future.

Don't know about for the 2008 season, since it's almost over, but once I get home in about 13 day, my goals are:

Play as often as I can
Try and shoot a lower score than previous round until I am in the 70s (I'll be happy with that)
Keep doing fundamental drills to improve all aspects of my game
Travel to courses I always wanted to play

My bag:

Bag: TaylorMade

Driver: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S)

3W: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S),

Hy: 3 (18*) Rescue, Irons: 4-9, PW, AW TM Burner 2.0, Wedges: Rumar 56 and 60 degree, Putter: TM Ghost Blade

Ball: TM RBZ

Shoes: FootJoy DryJoys

all i want to do is get recruited by some d1 schools in the southeast. and shoot in the 60's in tournaments. i play so many of them that im suprised it hasn't happened yet.

In my Hoofer Vantage

Driver: 907D2 9.5*
Wood: 906F4 15.5* 3 wood
Hybrid: 585H 19*Irons: i10 3-pwWedges: tp black z 52* & 58*Putter: tracy II

I have three goals for this year (though it doesn't look like I'm going to accomplish any this year)
They are:
1. Avoid blow-up holes. If it weren't for blow-up holes, I'd shoot 3-4 strokes less per round. I have one, maybe two blow-up holes a round. They usually happen from OBs on the left, hazards, that kind of stuff.

2. Hit straight drives. Whenever I hit a rare fairway-splitting drive, I normally par the hole. If I can set myself up with at least a decent shot (decent as in, in the rough but still clear shot at the green) then I would also shave quite a few strokes off there. Now, it's not like I'm going to put a 300-yard drive down the middle of the fairway every time, but if I can get a few more fairways off my driver, that'd be ideal.

3. My putting isn't very consistent. I've had some rounds where I didn't three-put once, and I've had rounds where I've three-putted several times. If I can improve my ability to read greens and get a nice tempo on my putts, that'd be a huge help.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
My goal for the year was to be able to hit driver consistently, and I think I can say I have accomplished it. I played 9 holes the other day, got 5/6 fairways with driver, all of them around 250 yards, which is good (for me) considering it was very wet.

I really want to break 90 this year yet (actually 45 since I only play 9 at a time). I had one 44 but it was with a mulligan, so I'm not counting it.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Hi guys, this is my first post and from reading past posts on this thread, there are people from all walks of life and with different goals which is cool. 2008 is almost over so maybe start thinking about 2009. My goals are also different and golf orientated. I have no grand vision of making it to a professional golf tour or playing in some elite amateur golf events. Why? I have before. Seriously, I have. I had to give up golf a couple of years ago due to skin cancer and after many operations, some plastic surgery etc, it ended my golf career being playing and teaching.
My goal for 2009 is to not have any more scars placed on my face from operations to remove skin cancers. It is tough working at a golf course and not being able to hit golf balls during the day. Thank god for driving ranges that are open at night time! By the way, I am from Australia.
Cheers boys... Jarrah

goal for the remainder of 2008 is to break 100. I have consistently been shooting in the 103 - 108 range. Just can't seem to get there...that's why we love golf though right. One shot can be great, then the next can chili dip and before you know it (at least for me) you are striving to save double...keeps me humble.

Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag

taylor made R9 460 - 10.5 | taylor made Burner Wood - 15 | callaway BB Heavenwood 3 Hybrid - 20 | nickent 3dx RC 4 Hybrid - 23 |mizuno MX300 5-PW | titleist SM Vokey - 50/54/58 | scotty cameron Fastback - 33'' | titleist NXT Tourhttp://www...

• 2 weeks later...
my goals for 2008 and 2009 are:
1: I would like to develop a better feel for my driver and to reach more fairways off the tee.
2: GIR! I cant stress enough how important this is to my game, i have about everything in my game going for me right now except the approach shot. If i can get on the green in time i know my handicap will drop quickly.
3: Keep track of my scores and stats from each round better.
4: Keep my mentality straight in the game and keep my head in the game.
and last 5: Become the number one seed on my college team. Right now i am 6 out of 10.
Whats in the bag:

Bag:
Driver: r7
Sasquatch 3 and 5 wood r7 irons 4-AW54 and 56 degree wedges 52 degree wedgePutter: Ball: E6 Pro V1xLowest Round: 69

One down, one to go.

Today I officially got the nod that I'll be representing the Southern California Section of the PGA in the North South Cup. The event is a Ryder Cup style match consisting of pros from the SCPGA, playing against pros from the Northern California section. This year's matches are held in the South at Rancho Bernardo Inn . I am extremely excited to have a chance at playing in this. Playing on the Ryder Cup itself is one of my two PGA dreams, along with winning the US Open. So to play in this North South Cup, although far smaller by comparison, I'll at least get to feel what it's like to play in a similar environment.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 5656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!