IGNORED

Hacker James Backyard Practice Net (and Accoutrements)

Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 02/11/2017 at 5:40 PM, Hacker James said:

Impressions of a "dirty" ball.

Too lazy to use marker, or foot powder.  Here are 4 or 5 hits with my new six iron (Tour Edge Exi). The 1 deg upright, and 1/2 inch longer seems to suit me.

IMG_0866.thumb.JPG.cfc195c0232d46b10a79995cbddbe930.JPG

you get this at indoor ranges pretty clearly too - even with just one strike - balls get dingy inside

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Hacker James said:

(I wanted to see if I could paste the link to my You Tube Channel). This way I can load new items onto the channel and those few people interested can bring it up if they want, and not take up space in this thread. 

Mods; You can delete this post if it is not proper protocol.

Just post in the topic. It doesn't "take up space."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, rehmwa said:

you get this at indoor ranges pretty clearly too - even with just one strike - balls get dingy inside

Some of the ones I use are beyond dingy. (left outside), but I try to remember to place them in a folgers can and cover it when not in use. ('sides, makes good practice trying to pitch into the coffee can from 45 feet away).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Divot Mat

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I watched the thing in this video. Pretty decent swing, actually, but I noticed that you seem to be hitting about 4 to 6 inches in front of where you setup the club. If you could fix that, I bet you'd get a lot more distance with that club?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yah, I know. Without a ball its hard to be consistent. I do a little better when I invert and insert a rubber tee (flush). It is about the same size and visual of an actual ball. Also easy to tell if you would have hit the ball first because otherwise,  you would catch the lip of the inverted tee.

"James"

On 11/8/2017 at 12:57 PM, Hacker James said:

Some of the ones I use are beyond dingy. (left outside), but I try to remember to place them in a folgers can and cover it when not in use. ('sides, makes good practice trying to pitch into the coffee can from 45 feet away).

In fact, I just noticed in my video of "Chipping Techniques" I actually heard the ball drop into the can near the end of the video right around 2:07 (2nd swing).

"James"

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

Having rebuilt my pvc golf net frame numerous times, it would appear that the last re-iteration has stood up pretty well. It has not broken, but merely tipped over in one piece, albeit not without a fitting or two coming loose. Winds are still gusting fairly heavy (up to 90 mph in some places), but subsiding a lot since two days ago. Maybe only 30-35.  Fires....that is an entirely different story.....really, really, bad  (see news media). The fire has spread as far as North San Diego County (but different fire), most recent being in the Bonsall, Hwy 76 areas. 

Last time this happened, it was pointed out to me that the heavy, archery net, acted as a sail.  This is true so I removed and replaced with regular net, however, still some sail effect owing to the poly impact panel that is suspended. I will leave it on the ground for now.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

• 4 months later...

Improved Ultimate Swing Plane Station. (It's a curse, can't stop fiddlin)

shallow out, shaft angle, Plane minder.

ImorIMG_20180424_171945234.thumb.jpg.ce685b0093d0705400cd2de2400c6686.jpg

"James"

• 2 months later...
(edited)

The "anti fat shot" golf mat.

The subject of hitting off mats vs turf is pretty exhausted, yet people still seem to show some interest.  Here is a drill I sometimes use that seems to help with precise ball striking.

Use a very narrow mat. I use a strip 6 inches wide and 18 inches long. Place the mat 90 degrees so that you are swinging across the narrow side. You need to make crisp contact otherwise the light mat will go flying if you chunk it.  To see if you would have taken a divot (after hitting the ball), place a short object an inch off of and in front of the mat.  (broken tee). If the object disappears, you know it would have  been a small divot. 

simple yet effective. 

Trivia?  perhaps, but works for me.  YMMV.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

• 1 month later...

this is what happens when you end up with those odds and ends of left over lengths of pool noodle. Not sure what useful purpose other than possible visual reference point to try and pitch over, under, right, left. 

IMG_20180826_181325275.thumb.jpg.8ba59404d6265c1a381c63ce73670ced.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

"James"

• 2 weeks later...

Never enough sticks......Now If I could only transport the mental geometry to the course.

during actual play, in my stance setup, what looks like centered is barely inside left in step. In this photo, I have rods set up just inside either instep(s), a target line, swing path, and initial hand plane.  The right foot pad helps with opening of hips. (when appropriate for a particular shot).

229194072_alignmentrods.thumb.jpg.38360a3e1d2b398645a3c384c6802694.jpg

"James"

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Time to get another. I have this vinyl target from Cimarron Golf that I have been using for a few years. It has held up fairly well and is still quite usable, but shows signs of wear by virtue of compromised borders, target stripe completely gone, grommets about to fall out e.t.c.  That being said, it has had thousands of impact hits from every club in the bag from distances as close as 8 feet to 45 feet. As far as the hitting surface, no holes whatsoever.  So, asthetics aside, nothing really wrong with it. Here is a photo which actually looks better than reality. (Replacement cost $22).

IMG_20181017_164813904_HDR.thumb.jpg.8d08cbd0c4df0ecbcda0b6f0c37f9eb4.jpg

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

• iacas changed the title to Golf Net Target Durability Trivia

IMG_20181025_104042013.thumb.jpg.d43c83af20f9698fc3b2edc899989f82.jpgLatest innovation as insatiable exercise in tinkering....This time I made an adjustable height target by clipping the support hangars to the horizontal string that forms the roof angle of the net. This utilizes simple plane geometry and physics entailing a shortening of the hypotenuse and legs of a right triangle which raises the target by sliding the carabiner clips towards the center. You have roughly eight inches of adjustability.

"James"

• 4 weeks later...

Golf Hitting mats - turf compromise

Lots of discussions regarding hitting off mats vs turf. Many believe hitting off mats gives false feedback owing to bounce off the mat among other things.

I have been using mats for years with little ill effects with the caveat that it sometimes requires a little adjustment going from mat to the course.

My backyard consists of artificial turf that is very close to natural grass and many have been hard pressed to tell the difference. (photos above earlier in the thread showing my labor and results).

I have lately been hitting off my "turf" with good results, but it does leave a little green residue on the soles of clubs, nothing a little squirt of simple green or fabulouso doesn't take care of. 

As far as damage to the turf, I have not really seen any, but not enough repetition to make a final judgement.

I will say, I can tell no "feel" difference between my turf and the real thing.

IMG_20181117_105200028.thumb.jpg.53aaed1f370f7dc0466ddc72e556cb93.jpg

"James"

• 3 weeks later...

just another reiteration of the same, tired, thing...…..I reversed mat placements, standing on smaller mats which are secured, and hitting off the larger mat. The reason being, that I find that standing on the larger mat, it will shift a bit owing to weight shift, toe spinning e.t.c. while club striking does not affect it much. Also, one doesn't have to move the mats around because of different club lengths. 

IMG_20181208_133953998_HDR.thumb.jpg.077f2955b4eb3a0244a37750ce93c3fa.jpg

"James"

• 2 weeks later...

GALLERY SEATING...…..observe at your own risk!

IMG_20181219_121240210_BURST001.thumb.jpg.042cf74549156343ed80195492603e97.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

"James"

• 2 weeks later...

just messin around with home made Speed Sticks.

Actual driver 317.5 g

Light stick 249.5

Heavy stick  430.9

and can be adjusted as desired.

IMG_20181228_091620448.thumb.jpg.f7d38d80d7c039f22d4b51604076dffb.jpg

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!