IGNORED

SLDR or M1/M2... fors and againsts

Note: This thread is 2592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently have an sldr 12* driver that ive not really hit that well (230 max carry in winter conditions UK) my old r11 used to rocket all seasons same shaft etc,im thinking of picking up an m1/m2 head (2016 model) but would like peoples thoughts..have you guys tried or own either and what have you found flight wise,forgiveness etc..look forward to your views.

I've had them all.  The R11 was average, the RBZ Tour was a favorite until it cracked.  The SLDR I had in 12 degrees...never really able to dial it in.

I had a 2 year stint with a Ping G30 lst and liked it until I took it and hit it up against the 2016 m2 and M1....wow...Ping is now gone. The Ping was a bit better than the RBZ Tour who h like I said was my favorite.

I got fitted for an M2 ...suggested by Frank at Ace of Clubs, one of the top 100 clubfitters in the country.  He suggested it over the M1 which he could have sold me for more money.  He said it's longer and more forgiving than the M1.  He happens to be one of the few authorized Taylormade fitters.

I just picked it up the other day ...and it's winter here in Massachusetts so I'll only get to hit it indoors.  During the fitting my Ping was a good 15-20 yards shorter...and this is without being used to the M2.

Ibcouldnt sell the Ping so a guy traded his M1 head with the stock Fuji for it.  I don't mind having 2 heads for that adapter.  I hit it on the gc2 and killed it...the M2 will be better.  The m1 is less forgiving but I don't have much of an issue with that.

Get an M2 2016...stay away from the new models...

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I picked up an M1 last September. I've been very happy with it to this point. I was gaming a Ping i25 previously. I like the i25 but my miss hits lost a lot of distance compared to the M1.  I also really like the sound and look of the driver.  I ended up getting an M1 3w and M2 hybrid to go with the driver. 

39 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

I've had them all.  The R11 was average, the RBZ Tour was a favorite until it cracked.  The SLDR I had in 12 degrees...never really able to dial it in.

I had a 2 year stint with a Ping G30 lst and liked it until I took it and hit it up against the 2016 m2 and M1....wow...Ping is now gone. The Ping was a bit better than the RBZ Tour who h like I said was my favorite.

I got fitted for an M2 ...suggested by Frank at Ace of Clubs, one of the top 100 clubfitters in the country.  He suggested it over the M1 which he could have sold me for more money.  He said it's longer and more forgiving than the M1.  He happens to be one of the few authorized Taylormade fitters.

I just picked it up the other day ...and it's winter here in Massachusetts so I'll only get to hit it indoors.  During the fitting my Ping was a good 15-20 yards shorter...and this is without being used to the M2.

Ibcouldnt sell the Ping so a guy traded his M1 head with the stock Fuji for it.  I don't mind having 2 heads for that adapter.  I hit it on the gc2 and killed it...the M2 will be better.  The m1 is less forgiving but I don't have much of an issue with that.

After hitting the sldr in 12* did you go down loft in the m2  I find thr sldr im having to have a more positive AoA than I did with my old r11.

I currently have the M1 (2016), with Adila Rouge Silver 60 stiff shaft. I put this shaft in it because I have a problem with creating too much spin and getting the pop ups that kill my distance. It can be less forgiving, but its what I got fit for last year at Carlsbad Golf Center, Golf Digest Top 100 fitter multiple years. They actually fit me in the Fuji Pro 60 shaft, but it didn't make sense to me, as that is a high launch shaft. 

4 hours ago, Daddycool_83 said:

After hitting the sldr in 12* did you go down loft in the m2  I find thr sldr im having to have a more positive AoA than I did with my old r11.

Yes, I got the M2 10.5 degree.  The sldr I went with the whole loft up thing and it didn't really work out.  Kept searching around between 10.5 and 12...never really found a good spot.

The M2 I can go up or down 2 degrees but probably stay at 10.5 to 9.5.  The M1 is 9.5 and is fine.  I'll try it at 10 as well. 

No need to loft up with these.  You should have your AOA checked with the 10.5 M2 as well.  I bet your swing and ball position has more to do with the positive AOA than the head or loft does.

16 hours ago, Daddycool_83 said:

I currently have an sldr 12* driver that ive not really hit that well (230 max carry in winter conditions UK) my old r11 used to rocket all seasons same shaft etc,im thinking of picking up an m1/m2 head (2016 model) but would like peoples thoughts..have you guys tried or own either and what have you found flight wise,forgiveness etc..look forward to your views.

SLDR was an extreme design for Taylormade. It really was a difficult club for many to hit. I think they have refined their technology a lot since then,. 

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

17 minutes ago, Tide_0231 said:

I currently have the M1 (2016), with Adila Rouge Silver 60 stiff shaft. I put this shaft in it because I have a problem with creating too much spin and getting the pop ups that kill my distance. It can be less forgiving, but its what I got fit for last year at Carlsbad Golf Center, Golf Digest Top 100 fitter multiple years. They actually fit me in the Fuji Pro 60 shaft, but it didn't make sense to me, as that is a high launch shaft. 

Don't discount what they fit you into.  If they did a good job they weren't just looking at numbers to fit u into the shaft.  They should be looking at your swing, tempo, transition, early/late release.  All these factors go into them picking a shaft you might think us wrong.

When I got fit, he picked a counterbalanced shaft that is low launching according to the website...the HZRDUS yellow.  I was looking at the numbers on the screen during the fitting and it looked like my spin was high and my launch was low...still longer than my gamer was though.

So when I left the fitters place I looked up the shaft and saw it was for a smooth transition and slight early release...all elements of my swing that don't show up on the launch monitor.  So trust what they say or at least try what the recommend and then decide what works best.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon92 said:

Don't discount what they fit you into.  If they did a good job they weren't just looking at numbers to fit u into the shaft.  They should be looking at your swing, tempo, transition, early/late release.  All these factors go into them picking a shaft you might think us wrong.

When I got fit, he picked a counterbalanced shaft that is low launching according to the website...the HZRDUS yellow.  I was looking at the numbers on the screen during the fitting and it looked like my spin was high and my launch was low...still longer than my gamer was though.

So when I left the fitters place I looked up the shaft and saw it was for a smooth transition and slight early release...all elements of my swing that don't show up on the launch monitor.  So trust what they say or at least try what the recommend and then decide what works best.

I played that Fuji Pro 60 for about 6 months. Just recently changed to the other shaft. Its definitely helped, but some lessons are the next thing I'm buying....

On 3/13/2017 at 4:54 PM, Typhoon92 said:

why, may I respectfully ask, should one stay away from new model?  I was actually thinking of 17 m2 and am curious.

On 3/13/2017 at 8:08 PM, saevel25 said:

SLDR was an extreme design for Taylormade. It really was a difficult club for many to hit. I think they have refined their technology a lot since then,. 

Yes, I had problems hitting it as well. My old R-7 Limited was much easier. I even tried the SLDR mini without a lot of success. Looking back, had I got fitted with a different shaft, I may have had better results.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

11 hours ago, mgraw said:

why, may I respectfully ask, should one stay away from new model?  I was actually thinking of 17 m2 and am curious.

My clubfitter, who is a Taylormade fitter and one of the golf digest top 100 fitters easily could have made an extra $200 selling me one but he told me the 2016 is better and less money now.  Lower spin, better launch...all around better than the new 2017 M2.

He said the 2017 M1 is an improvement over last year's M1 but even that gives u forgiveness equal to the 2016 M2 and no more distance.

Also mgraw, I did end up hitting the new M2 before I picked up mine.  He told me if I liked it better I could get it instead...

He was right, launched higher with more spin...distance wise it was like my old driver.

Dc_83, Any chance you could get fitted for a 2016 version M1 or M2 driver? From TM central, the original M1 is $399 and the M2 $299. Also, remaining R15.TP can be had for $199.

I know that in England you don't have the fitting opportunities we have in the states. And, that golf is especially expensive for those on limited budget. But, unless someone has an M1 head laying on the shelf you can got for little money, I don't know how much you would get with the "mix and match."

As for the SLDR, I ran across some old reviews a few months ago on that driver. General consensus was that which one of the shafts you got made a TREMENDOUS difference in how the driver flew. Something to keep in mind. Could you sell off the SLDR to someone to help fund your new driver?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 17/03/2017 at 4:42 PM, WUTiger said:

Dc_83, Any chance you could get fitted for a 2016 version M1 or M2 driver? From TM central, the original M1 is $399 and the M2 $299. Also, remaining R15.TP can be had for $199.

I know that in England you don't have the fitting opportunities we have in the states. And, that golf is especially expensive for those on limited budget. But, unless someone has an M1 head laying on the shelf you can got for little money, I don't know how much you would get with the "mix and match."

As for the SLDR, I ran across some old reviews a few months ago on that driver. General consensus was that which one of the shafts you got made a TREMENDOUS difference in how the driver flew. Something to keep in mind. Could you sell off the SLDR to someone to help fund your new driver?

@WUTiger ive picked up an m2 on ebay for £140 with an ozik white tie my sldr I could get 80/100 for with either of the shafts I have at home so its not a massive price to pay overall..it greives me a little with prices here as my sister has made numerous trips to Orlando and keeps me in golf attire at a fraction of what ide pay here..I know lical golf pros (dependent on sponser) could get me fitted but without looking around I think the belfry is closest to me with a TM fit centre.

Sounds like you have things under control. Let us know how the M2 flies on course.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!